glaciers and kayaking

#1survivorfan

I'm planning a trip for 4 adults in July 09. We really want to kayak by the glaciers. We will be spending 3 nights in Homer and 3 nights in Seward as well as a SB cruise. Where is the best place to kayak? Which company do you prefer? I have looked at the different companies in Seward and see that there are a variety of choices. Which gives the best "kayak/glacier" experience?

Marla

My favorite experience was Columbia Glacier in Valdez, but that's not on your list. :) Paddling in the bergy bits is amazing, even thought you don't see the face of the glacier. I lucked out on my trip in 07 and saw lots of wildlife.

Earlier this year, we did an Aialik Glacier day trip with Liquid Adventures and it was great. I highly recommend the trip and the outfitter. Chris and his wife (I forget her name) were helpful, friendly, laidback and safety-conscious. They have a nice loft / barn set up on Lowell Point in Seward.

You'll start the day by suiting up and taking the water taxi out to the Aialik area. The ride is half the adventure. It's the same ride that most Kenai Fjords tour boats take. You'll stop at a small island, disembark the water taxi, and get in the kayak. The paddle is very easy and not all that long, but the scenery is amazing and well worth it. You'll stop for lunch right next to the glacier, so you'll have excellent views for calving.

It rained during our whole trip, but it didn't detract in the least. Some seals decided to play hide-and-go-seek with us and that was a lot of fun. Dress warmly and bring gloves.

The only downside is you have no choice but to use a double kayak, which I detest, :) but is the standard for these types of trips.

Hope that helps.

http://liquid-adventures.com

In Valdez, I used Pangaea for the kayak day trip to Columbia Glacier. They were great - professional, helpful, safety-conscious and fun.

http://www.alaskasummer.com/

I've visited Whittier and researched kayaking there, but never actually paddled there. So take my comments for what they're worth. I'm not a big Whittier fan. I think the kayaking there is good (and that a day trip to Blackstone Bay is the highlight), but I'd still stick with Seward, as I believe there kayaking options are better and it has more to offer overall.

Others may have comments, or trip posting on Trip Advisor's Alaska boards.

Archived