HUGE problem...

berls088

This whole story is beginning to smell like yesterdays catfish...

No way this person went through school/college, health insurance, jobs etc.... With false documents...Methinks Berls is hitting the whiskey a lot more and earlier than claimed above...

If I am wrong I will apologize... :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised. The "urgent need" for proper documentation is a relatively new thing in the US, post-9/11 to be exact. It would be helpful if the folks processing the information could properly enter it into their system, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

My daughters adoption is private.... no problem getting a birth certificate... when we asked for it the one with our names was given not one with her biological parents....

But the OP reported last night/this morning that there was no adoption, they just took the child in their home, no paper work. The Mom just told him, apparently she has been lying to him all this time. This gets to sound more like a soap opera LOL.

Correcting a birth certificate takes an act of god....LOL.... before our last cruise my mom found out her middle name on her bc was wrong.... believe me it was easier to change it on her drivers license and social security card to the wrong one than to change her bc to the right one.... needless to say she now has a different middle name after 64 years:rolleyes:

I'm often accused of being too literal, and I probably am here, but I don't think there is any such thing as "correcting" a Birth Certificate, it is the document of record and as such is correct by definition once it is certified. What your Mom was trying to do was to CHANGE the name on her B/C to something she preferred. Doesn't matter what the reason was, it was a request to change it, not correct it, and that should be difficult.

Anyone can petition a court for a change of name, and may get a court order to that effect. That does not change the B/C, it just gives you another document to show along with the B/C to attest to the change of name.

I'm often accused of being too literal, and I probably am here, but I don't think there is any such thing as "correcting" a Birth Certificate, it is the document of record and as such is correct by definition once it is certified. What your Mom was trying to do was to CHANGE the name on her B/C to something she preferred. Doesn't matter what the reason was, it was a request to change it, not correct it, and that should be difficult.

Anyone can petition a court for a change of name, and may get a court order to that effect. That does not change the B/C, it just gives you another document to show along with the B/C to attest to the change of name.

Actually, any many states it's not that big a deal. There are still several states that take baptismal certificates and names written in the family Bible as proof of birth. Providing one of these (again, depending on the state or even when the birth took place) can be considered proof of an error in reporting. There is no standard across the board answer to these questions as birth certs are issued in the state in which a person is born (or in certain cases, adopted), and thus the method and standards vary from state to state.

anyone knows if correcting/changing name on BC needs to go through court order?

Yes it needs to go thru the courts/clerks office sort of, and it is mostly just a paperwork process involving a petioners request,and with items dealing with BCs,RI has a seperate office just for these records,but this case is a little different.It is starting to sound like a fiction novel now.

There are several things which appear to be walking a fine legal line and I don't really want to comment on any of those at this time.

The biggest is that his last name is not even his real one.

This is someone who is not getting on a ship because there is no real documentation.It can all be fixed but not in the few weeks ahead.

I would urge your bf in the strongest possible way to take the advice some others have given- consult an attorney in your area who practices family law.

I work in the field and don't feel like I can offer you enough advice for your situation. As someone else said, the laws vary from state to state.

I don't even agree that it will help you to contact your senator, since you are dealing with state agencies and not federal. If you need assistance from state agencies that aren't moving fast enough, then perhaps your state senator could help. (

and then -

So, which country are you posting from right now?

One which i reentered using a passport that took 5 days to get during which I had to pay for all my expenses, was threatened with jail because I was unable to prove I entered the country legally (I was somewhere other than the US friendly Caribbean) paid twice what passports cost normally during that time and spent two entire days waiting for the embassy to open again.

But I still NEEDED a passport. I just had to wait for a replacement.

This whole story is beginning to smell like yesterdays catfish...

No way this person went through school/college, health insurance, jobs etc.... With false documents...Methinks Berls is hitting the whiskey a lot more and earlier than claimed above...

If I am wrong I will apologize... :rolleyes:

I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but then something happened to the husband of a friend of mine that sounds very similar.....

He grew up thinking he had been adopted by his mother's husband and that his last name was XXXXX.

When he turned 18 and joined the U.S. Army - his mother fessed up to the fact that not only was he never legally adopted, but also that his last name was YYYYY instead. Instead of making him fix everything then and there, the Army solved it by looking at his XXXXX last name as an "alias," and just filled out some papers. He had a DL, military ID, and lots of formal papers with the XXXXX name. He eventually got out of the Army, graduated from college, and went to Medical School with the XXXXX name.

Then, he went to get his medical license. Well, it seems that medical licensing boards don't like to give licenses to people who use an "alias." Kind of makes sense if you think about it....:eek:

But by that time he was married and had a child. SO - he had to get everything fixed before he could get his medical license. And it would have been a lot easier if he had done it 10 years earlier. All he had to do was stop using his "alias" and start using the YYYYY name, but they had to pay to change the last name of the wife and child to YYYYY also. It took a ton of paperwork and time, but all is good now.

So my advice to berls is to do what you can to get on the cruise now, and then sort this all out as soon as possible. My friend's husband went through a period where he "didn't feel like a real person" either, but that will pass with time. It's been about 5 years, but we can laugh about it now, and someday it will make a good story for the kids.....:D

Keep us posted berls - we are rooting for you and hope it all works out!

:):)

Go to www.vitalchek.com and order one. Worth the money and they usually produce a certified copy within a week or so. Give them details they need that should be on the photocopy he has and he should be able to get one in time for your cruise. I live in the town I was born in so I easily got mine same day by going to vital records dept downtown. My DH needed a certified copy from CA so he used vitalchek and we got it within about a week. Good luck.

I was going to suggest this as well. The fee is small compared to peace of mind. I got mine in about a week. OTOH, if you leave near the county office in the city where he was born, it makes much more sense to just show up there.

Her BF is a computer tech for a living, so I believe he went through all educations needed. Possibly got around all kinds of problems until this tough one. Again, so nice that the lucky guy has her as GF to survive.

Keeping working hard, you both have all our support to make it through.

thank u:) his mother was talking to her lawyer today and i called a different city clerk and she said to go in tomorrow so she can look over his documents and see whats what.

Trock, i wish i was creative enough to make things like this up, if so id write Lifetime movies starring Tori Spelling and be a millionaire!

so the bf is now determined to find his birth momma, so she can go with him and sign him over officially. this adoption ****sconfusinggg! my poor man...

im glad to see he can get his yyyyy last name and not his biological moms yyyyy name! franklyi wouldnt want that one!

i called a different city clerk and she said to go in tomorrow so she can look over his documents and see whats what.

That sounds like the best idea yet!!

im glad to see he can get his yyyyy last name and not his biological moms yyyyy name! franklyi wouldnt want that one!

There you go!! See - something good will come of this. :D:)

I still hope you'll get everything you need to go on the cruise!! If nothing else - just to relax from all of this!:) I hope he realizes what a good person you are for helping him with all of this and being there for him!:)

One which i reentered using a passport that took 5 days to get during which I had to pay for all my expenses, was threatened with jail because I was unable to prove I entered the country legally (I was somewhere other than the US friendly Caribbean) paid twice what passports cost normally during that time and spent two entire days waiting for the embassy to open again.

But I still NEEDED a passport. I just had to wait for a replacement.

Darn, thought for sure I had my last word.

I will concede that the NEED for a passport is true if you have to get home early, catch the boat because you miss it, or any other worse case scenario happens. If you conceded that if none of these worst case scenarios happen and you have an uneventful cruise then a US citizen cruising on a closed loop cruise leaving from a US port does not NEED a passport.

My whole point was you cant say NEED(see previous definiton), then say not required. Because, if you NEED a PP, it WOULD be required. Im sure you know the defintion of the word NEED, I just added it for effect:D.

I imagine a very very high % of US cruisers have an uneventful cruise, and wont NEED a PP. If the low low low low % of US cruisers have one of those worse case scenarios, then they will NEED a PP.

PHEW.......

To the OP, sounds like you are getting some help on your end, best of luck and keep us posted :).

You'd be surprised. The "urgent need" for proper documentation is a relatively new thing in the US, post-9/11 to be exact. It would be helpful if the folks processing the information could properly enter it into their system, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

No.. I understand.. I know too well unfortunately all about the casualties of 911..;)

BUT there are too many incidents in life to go through without ALL the proper info... You know what i mean??

thank u:) his mother was talking to her lawyer today and i called a different city clerk and she said to go in tomorrow so she can look over his documents and see whats what.

Trock, i wish i was creative enough to make things like this up, if so id write Lifetime movies starring Tori Spelling and be a millionaire!

so the bf is now determined to find his birth momma, so she can go with him and sign him over officially. this adoption ****sconfusinggg! my poor man...

I understand= But if you read half the stuff we read you would understand my doubts.. But I did say I would apologize if your story was true..

I wish you and the BF well....

Its just odd...

So are you saying that my sister can't get a correction to her birth certificate? She has to get a sex change??:eek: She's not going to be happy to hear this!!

So are you saying that my sister can't get a correction to her birth certificate? She has to get a sex change??:eek: She's not going to be happy to hear this!!

A sex change from F to M is fairly simple. The remove the portion of the brain that does the thinking, and attach it between the legs. And congratulations it's a boy!:D

That sounds like the best idea yet!!

There you go!! See - something good will come of this. :D:)

I still hope you'll get everything you need to go on the cruise!! If nothing else - just to relax from all of this!:) I hope he realizes what a good person you are for helping him with all of this and being there for him!:)

YES we definitely need to.. im an emotional mess and its not even me who found out all this stuff about my adoption! my eyes are raw from crying...im very sensitive!

trock i know it sounds ridiculous... but when you go through this someday u will be like "damn that berls girls from cruisecritics bf wasnt the only one"!

jk i dont wish this on anybody lol

Darn, thought for sure I had my last word.

I will concede that the NEED for a passport is true if you have to get home early, catch the boat because you miss it, or any other worse case scenario happens. If you conceded that if none of these worst case scenarios happen and you have an uneventful cruise then a US citizen cruising on a closed loop cruise leaving from a US port does not NEED a passport.

My whole point was you cant say NEED(see previous definiton), then say not required. Because, if you NEED a PP, it WOULD be required. Im sure you know the defintion of the word NEED, I just added it for effect:D.

I imagine a very very high % of US cruisers have an uneventful cruise, and wont NEED a PP. If the low low low low % of US cruisers have one of those worse case scenarios, then they will NEED a PP.

PHEW.......

To the OP, sounds like you are getting some help on your end, best of luck and keep us posted :).

No you added it because you are obnoxious. You are debating semantics and I am am saying when you tell people no need for passport you are being untruthful. If you read my posts (should I define read for you? because you are certainly struggling with it) I only said it wasn't legally required for the CRUISE part...that doesn't mitigate a need. Period.

I need my spleen and my kidneys, but I can live without them. Typically life is a lot easier if I don't. Passports are the same way. Once the passport naysayers start being truthful when the topic arises I suspect it will get less tense. Truthful being "you don't legally need a passport but if you do experience any problems you will need one because you will not be leaving or entering any country other by ship without one. Only you can determine the risk"

Kelly

YES we definitely need to.. im an emotional mess and its not even me who found out all this stuff about my adoption! my eyes are raw from crying...im very sensitive!

trock i know it sounds ridiculous... but when you go through this someday u will be like "damn that berls girls from cruisecritics bf wasnt the only one"!

You just can't make some of this stuff up. I so hope you can get this all taken care of and the both of you can go on your cruise.

As far as I can "imagine", adoption can carry some untold story behind if not all. Good to know it sooner than later, or just never know about it.

Good luck!!

Would the two of you please stop hijacking this thread and take your definition argument elsewhere? Start your own thread, drop it, whatever, but Kelly has started name calling ('obnoxious') and such behavior will probably get this thread locked if not pulled entirely. And there is VALUABLE information regarding the name and birth certificate issues that other people will profit from--but not if you two continue trying to change the other's mind. Thank you.

Archived