HUGE problem...

berls088

I'm often accused of being too literal, and I probably am here, but I don't think there is any such thing as "correcting" a Birth Certificate, it is the document of record and as such is correct by definition once it is certified. What your Mom was trying to do was to CHANGE the name on her B/C to something she preferred. Doesn't matter what the reason was, it was a request to change it, not correct it, and that should be difficult.

Anyone can petition a court for a change of name, and may get a court order to that effect. That does not change the B/C, it just gives you another document to show along with the B/C to attest to the change of name.

Well my "original B/C" had baby girl - then last name of my birth father. Then I was adopted - new B/C had my a first, middle, and the last name of my adoptive father..

The OP should contact the vital statics dept in the state where the copy of the B/C was issued...fax/scan this copy to them and let them figure it out..

When my 22 year old DS got his DL, not only did we have to have his bc, but we also had to have proof of residency. And when we registered our kids for school, we needed more than our word that they were our kids. I needed my bc to get my job as did my dh. Also, to get a ss card you need a bc especially if you didnt' apply for it at birth. I'm just amazed that anyone can just have physical custody of a child without legal custody, yet there are lots of people who have jumped through all the legal hoops to adopt and are still waiting.

Yes, there are illegals living in our area, but as part of the problem, they are allowed to slide on certain things.

I love you!

We have illegal immigrants, undocumented immigrants whatever you want to call them; living on the island. For the most part, they are hard working people who only want a better life for them and their families. But there is truth that what is expected of a citizen is not expected of them.

Public education is guaranteed to all in this country legal or not... Drivers Licenses are not..My heart goes out to these people but they need to follow the procedure like many others and not 'jump the line' so to speak..

Back on topic-I dont get this either.. I believe someone is snowballing this girl about the truth of her BF's adoption... I feel for them both.. I hope they resolve this...

When I accepted my position at my current job, I had to show drivers license/SS card.. There was some sort of check on my identity..

Supposedly this is required by law?? Not sure

What a mess this kid has on his hands....

Well my "original B/C" had baby girl - then last name of my birth father. Then I was adopted - new B/C had my a first, middle, and the last name of my adoptive father..

The OP should contact the vital statics dept in the state where the copy of the B/C was issued...fax/scan this copy to them and let them figure it out..

I think that is part of the problem though.. this does not appear to be a legal adoption.. Someone somewhere buried this... I dont understand the part where the birth mother wanted more $$??

I think that is part of the problem though.. this does not appear to be a legal adoption.. Someone somewhere buried this... I dont understand the part where the birth mother wanted more $$??

I agree. The whole situation sounds shady, and the OP and her boyfriend are the victims. Is the "mother" telling the truth? Did the priest do something wrong? I feel bad for the OP and hope things get worked out.

BTW OP, a notarized birth certificate is meaningless. It needs to have the raised seal.

I agree. The whole situation sounds shady, and the OP and her boyfriend are the victims. Is the "mother" telling the truth? Did the priest do something wrong? I feel bad for the OP and hope things get worked out.

BTW OP, a notarized birth certificate is meaningless. It needs to have the raised seal.

Sounds like a lifetime movie... I feel very badly for these kids...

I did read #162 and it didnt' clear anything up. No one seems to know and the op's posts haven't exactly been clear. You can't just keep a child without some sort of legal paperwork so you can register for school, etc. Normally a bc, adoption paperwork, guardianship. Baptismal certificate will not get anyone into school. That's all I'm saying. It's just weird.

I understand, and Im not trying to be argumentative. The OP has limited information herself. What I was saying in my previous post is that she made it clear that her bf was never legally adopted. That's the extent of what we, and the OP, know. How they made it through all these years is a mystery to her and all of us. So we can only speculate. Maybe there was a guardianship order from a court of law. Maybe there was something from birth mom granting power of attorney. Maybe there were forged documents that passed scrutiny by schools, etc.

We just don't know. But it isn't important to her current situation of trying to get the legal documents the bf needs so he can get on the ship and they can enjoy their cruise.

I cant wait to just get on the damn Valor with my man and have a drink! its looking now like we will be.. thank god!

he was born at pawtucket memorial and then barrington city hall... glad theres a RIer in here to understand it that much more! thank you! so the city issued/notarized birth certificate along with a matching license is legit???

and appearantly he got this far in life off of a baptismal form...

So......

WHat name is on the BC?His current or birth given

What parents are on the BC? Real or current

BC you have..... This is a record of a live birth with the names of the father,mother,city,state,date,and time of his birth?

This BC has a city or state raised seal,not a notory seal?

Steve

Berls088, I hope you get this worked out. It could have been possible that his name was changed to their last name without being adopted. I have a child from a previous marriage, and when i got remarried, I had my son's last name changed b/c I wanted everyone to have the same last name. His biological fathers rights were terminated so I got an attorney, paid $200 and changed his name. I then received a corrected birth cert showing his new last name. The reason I changed his last name before we did the adoption was b/c in NC, it takes a year to go through the adoption process and I wanted his name changed before he went to school. Also, when my husband and I went on our first cruise, we had to get his b/c from Michigan (we are in NC) and we got it in about a week. We did use the official state website. hope you get it all worked out and have fun fun fun on your cruise

I am interested in having my child's last name changed in this same scenario. Could you tell me what I would need to do to go about doing that? The father's rights have not been terminated, but it should not be too hard to do since he owes 20+ grand in CS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested in having my child's last name changed in this same scenario. Could you tell me what I would need to do to go about doing that? The father's rights have not been terminated, but it should not be too hard to do since he owes 20+ grand in CS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on your state. The best thing is to first find out which court (family, probate, circuit, county, etc.) handles name changes in your state and then see if the court has a website with information about what the requirements are.

For what it's worth, this was my experience in Michigan. I went to the courthouse and got the application form, instructions, etc. from the court clerk. The clerk's office was very helpful and answered all my questions -- I didn't need an attorney even though my ex lives in another country and did not appear in court (he did sign the application, however.) The application did require both signatures unless I could prove long-term non-payment of child support, no contact, etc.

I also had to publish my intent to have his name changed in the local newpaper for several weeks. The court provided the exact wording and the newpaper knew exactly what to do (it goes in as a "legal notice".) I had to appear in court after the notices had run and answer some questions from the judge. My son did not have to appear.

The judge signs a court order for the name change and I had the option of having a new birth certificate issued and also the option of "sealing" the original birth certificate. The whole process cost me less than $200.

Hope that helps -- but, like I said, the laws differ by state, so check with your state's family/probate court.

Archived