can you have fun going as a single on the pearl to alaska?

jtcin

Hi,

I am 35 a white male who is thinking about going to alaska on the pearl. Is everything family stuff. Is there somethin for everyone there? I will enjoy the ports but as far as boat life will a single have a good time? I also saw that the ship has a nice spa. Is the mens sections nice? Please let me know what you think. It is alot more to go as a single and might wait to go another time with a bud, but then the thought of being single on a boat sounds fun also.

jtcin@aol.com

you only have 1 full sea day...the 2nd day leaving seattle, otherwise it's very port intensive. another sea day, crusing glacier bay, is great..starts early and you are in glacier bay until early afternoon..even after that plenty to see, cruising through the icy straits can offer some great views. keep your binocular handy. we saw black dots, floating on the water, after watching for some time, we realized that they were sea otters. our binoculars weren't that great, still fun to watch. also, several "spouts" from humpbacks in the area. some of the best views were in this area, the ship cruises through a bunch of islands.

coming back, heading to victoria...fun to watch the ship traffic.

plus, you will meet people through your roll call, especially if they do a meet and greet.

between the ship's entertainment and activities, your roll call and what's outside...you shouldn't have too much down time :D

I am now 29 years old, I've been on NCL 3 times (once solo) + did a B2B Transatlantic cruise solo on the QM2 and I had fun on every cruise. On a solo cruise, it's all about what YOU want to do. Nobody else to please.

I've never done Alaska but I think it would be even easier since it's port intensive but I feel (but might be wrong) that the nightlife is probably more subdued since people have to get up early most mornings for excursions.

If you are not a party animal and you want to quiet time for yourself, I'm sure you'll LOVE it!

On the Member Review section, you can find my reviews of NCL Spirit solo (sept. 2006) and QM2 solo (Aug. 2008).

I have not done the Alaska trip (yet) but I recently did the Boston to Bermuda run as a single. And I had a blast. As mentioned by others you totally get to control what you want to do, which is nice, for the most part people are friendly. Dinner I was pretty much always seated with other people (except one night but then I moved to another table with people I had met before).

I will say that the M&G proably was crucial to my enjoyment of the cruise, because for the most part the people that I kept bumping into, where people that I had met from there. Then again I met people on the bus, on the beach, (both locals and cruisers), so you never know.

I think it does help to be some what out going. I dont consider myself outgoing per se but I think others would proably disagree with me ( I have both my outgoing and non outgoing moments).

I was thinking of doing South America next year and I will proably have to go it alone again. (2 weeks is long time to take off for work for alot of my friends, since we are all early in our career types)

Head over to the Alaska board and get some ideas on what to do in ports. :) The touring is spectacular there and excellent for anyone. BUT do not expect a lot of ship activities. Alaska itineraries are more focused on what is outside the ship, rather than the packed nonstop activities of Caribbean sailings.

So determine WHY you are going??? IF for Alaska, then this is an excellent opportunity, but if for ship life and socializing, then perhaps the Caribbean would be better suited??

Hi,

I am 35 a white male who is thinking about going to alaska on the pearl. Is everything family stuff. Is there somethin for everyone there? I will enjoy the ports but as far as boat life will a single have a good time? I also saw that the ship has a nice spa. Is the mens sections nice? Please let me know what you think. It is alot more to go as a single and might wait to go another time with a bud, but then the thought of being single on a boat sounds fun also.

jtcin@aol.com

If it comes down to you not going to Alaska because you don't have a friend to go with you, go alone. Alaska is more amazing that we could ever tell you here on the boards. One thing to keep in mind is this. If it is a matter of economics as to a friend not being able to go, try to help them out with the fare. The reason I say that is with NCL if you cruise as a single, you pay double the fare. So going single you are going to pay just as much as if you pay for a friends fare to go with you. Most cruiselines a single can sail for 150% of the fare but with NCL it is 200%. So maybe offer a friend to pay half his/her fare. That would still be cheaper on you.

Also check the roll calls to see if anyone has started one for your cruise. M&G's are a wonderful way to meet fellow CC'ers. If there isn't a roll call, start one yourself.

No matter what, Alaska is worth seeing alone or with a group. I will say I agree with the other poster that during some of the cruises the night life isn't that great but it is because there is daylight until 11 or 12 at night so most people are out on deck to see all the beautiful sights.

Good posts here. Just to add: I'm extremely happy in my marriage. We have no kids. But I've always enjoyed doing things on my own. I'm pretty fearless and have been told that I've never met a stranger. I think it'd be a great adventure for you, even though it'll cost you twice as much. I think that policy should be revamped some.

If you want to read a great thread on cruising alone, check out "Coka's" review of the Majesty and her solo cruise. It will inspire you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824807&highlight=

The Alaska cruises tend to be more subdued in terms of nightlife and random activities on-board, just because the scenery around you is so stunning (and there's daylight very late!) that you'll actually WANT to be out on deck or on your balcony taking it all in.

Also, some very active excursions (hiking, climbing, kayaking, biking) are offered, so I know I was often totally wiped out when I got back on board (and I was only 29 at the time the most recent time I did an Alaska cruise...and I'm a big exerciser/dancer at home, so it's not like I was tired because I couldn't keep up!) so really all I wanted to do was to eat dinner, see the show, and then veg on deck before going to bed (relatively) early in order to get up the next morning. We thought we might want to party some nights, but we were never up to it!

Archived