When an itinerary changes for a cruise, you might let them vent. Lose the lectures.

fig414

It might not bother you, but some people out here really care about the ports they really want to visit. I'm not a big port person but many people are. The lectures start immediately and you start quoting the Contract. Of course some jerks start whining about compensation, blah blah blah. They rightfully should just be ignored. It just seems every time a Miracle propulsion thread, or any deviation of an itinerary pops up, the apologists rise up to castigate the "complainer". Like I said I've had ports change a few times and we really don't care. Please cut these posters a little slack instead of telling them stuff like "being on a cruise is better then being at the office". We already know this. Most of the posters are just a little frustrated at their change of plans. Thanks

Might be a lot of posts over the next few days. Miracle is not going to Panama or Costa Rica until after drydock. Our Feb 17th sailing just got changed today. We are last sailing before drydock. So any sailing between Dec 31 and Feb 17 that was going there has been changed.

It might not bother you, but some people out here really care about the ports they really want to visit. I'm not a big port person but many people are. The lectures start immediately and you start quoting the Contract. Of course some jerks start whining about compensation, blah blah blah. It just seems every time a Miracle propulsion thread, or any deviation of an itinerary pops up, the apologists rise up to castigate the "complainer". Like I said I've had ports change a few times and we really don't care. Please cut these posters a little slack instead of telling them stuff like "being on a cruise is better then being at the office". We already know this. Most of the posters are just a little frustrated at their change of plans. Thanks

Oh, I understand frustration... I really do... but I also think that people that choose a CRUISE, that travels on the OCEAN, that relies on GOOD WEATHER and perfect transportation, has to expect deviations can occur... it is a chance you take. Anyone that expects that the ports are guaranteed, hasn't done enough or even a little research. So, while I get disappointment, the people that start the mutiny on the ship and start raising hell when they get back are a little much... disappointment is one thing as long as you were realistic in your expectations and knew that it COULD have happened, it just sucks that it did :o

It might not bother you, but some people out here really care about the ports they really want to visit. I'm not a big port person but many people are. The lectures start immediately and you start quoting the Contract. Of course some jerks start whining about compensation, blah blah blah. They rightfully should just be ignored. It just seems every time a Miracle propulsion thread, or any deviation of an itinerary pops up, the apologists rise up to castigate the "complainer". Like I said I've had ports change a few times and we really don't care. Please cut these posters a little slack instead of telling them stuff like "being on a cruise is better then being at the office". We already know this. Most of the posters are just a little frustrated at their change of plans. Thanks

I agree. I'm a port person, and that's one thing I wouldn't pour salt on the wound over, because I know I would be disappointed if it happenned to me which, thankfully, never has. That just made me think of a question. If the ship has to change an itinerary before it sails, like in the case of Miracle, will they let you cancel and get a full refund, even if it is close to the sailing date?

I agree. I'm a port person, and that's one thing I wouldn't pour salt on the wound over, because I know I would be disappointed if it happenned to me which, thankfully, never has. That just made me think of a question. If the ship has to change an itinerary before it sails, like in the case of Miracle, will they let you cancel and get a full refund, even if it is close to the sailing date?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

You can cancel within 24 hours of notification? Is that an e-mail, or do they call you? That's kind of a short time frame if it's just an e-mail, I don't always check mine daily.. I guess I should.

If you have a good TA, you shouldn't have to check daily... they will let you know when the change is made :)

Look at it as a flight that has to deviate to another city or is delayed due to weather. You know it's the best thing, but it doesn't suck any less.

As an airline employee I can see the comparison, but, the airline is still resposnible to get you to your intended destination....no matter if it may take an extra day or so depending on the circumstances.

The cruise contract is different in that the only thing they have to do is get you back to the departure port (if it is a round-trip cruise).

Kinda like apples and oranges (or red apples and green apples).

I surely do not have a problem with people being disapointed when their iten. gets changed around....I know I would be too.

I feel bad for people when their travel plans get thrown into the blender....believe me as a gate agent I get to hear from people that are irate because their flight is a little late because it's snowing in Chicago to grieving family members that are just trying to get to a funeral. I know it sucks but getting upset at me, or for that matter the cruise line doesn't really help anything.

Just my $.02

Not everyone out here is an expert. We all started as newbies when we found this wonderful, yet so frustrating site. All I ask is just give the realistic and frustrated travelers a break. I agree that the facts should be provided to the affected passengers. The pontification, however, is rude and unnecessary. That's my biggest point. Thanks, again.

Not everyone out here is an expert. We all started as newbies when we found this wonderful, yet so frustrating site. All I ask is just give the realistic and frustrated travelers a break. I agree that the facts should be provided to the affected passengers. The pontification, however, is rude and unnecessary. That's my biggest point. Thanks, again.

I do agree with you... I do sometimes wince when I see responses... but I also do believe the first place a new cruiser should look is their contract and the Carnival site, to see what they are getting into. If a new cruiser does their research and reads the cruise contract, they know the risks, and then all they have to deal with is the disappointment, and most of us (those of us with a soul, and not all on CC have one), understand the disappointment... almost any of us that have been on more than a few cruises have missed a port and been disappointed... but most know it's a possibility and just roll with it.... it's the ones that expect something, or get upset, or act like they didn't expect it, that really get under my skin... if one did ANY amount of research, or used common sense, they would know it was a possibility... disappointment I get, naivity I don't.

OHHHHHHH NO please stop the pontification........long story, different thread:D

I remember that thread! Oh great, my dog just pontificated on the carpet!

Oh Good grief... my dog pontificated all over the walls AND carpet and it's going to take days for me to take care of it... can we just drink instead?????

I do agree with you... I do sometimes wince when I see responses... but I also do believe the first place a new cruiser should look is their contract and the Carnival site, to see what they are getting into. If a new cruiser does their research and reads the cruise contract, they know the risks, and then all they have to deal with is the disappointment, and most of us (those of us with a soul, and not all on CC have one), understand the disappointment... almost any of us that have been on more than a few cruises have missed a port and been disappointed... but most know it's a possibility and just roll with it.... it's the ones that expect something, or get upset, or act like they didn't expect it, that really get under my skin... if one did ANY amount of research, or used common sense, they would know it was a possibility... disappointment I get, naivity I don't.

Well put. People do research when they buy a $30 boombox, or at least I do. Why wouldn't you do research when you are going to spend many times that amount on a cruise. If you've done your homework, there will be no surprises. Yes, it would be disappointing to miss a port, but to expect compensation or to slam the cruise line for something that is out of their control is rediculous.

I remember that thread! Oh great, my dog just pontificated on the carpet! I've got a mess to clean up now!

OT kujobie, If I remember right it was a thread where someone was complaining about something(go figure) and a another poster said to stop pontificating??? Dang, I think it was figs the last time also who mentioned about pontificating???

OT, OT luckily I dont have a dog:D

Just went and looked, and it was fig...dang, I thought my memory was bad. Somehow I remembered that. Of all the things I could have remembered, my mind chose that. Go figure.

OT kujobie, If I remember right it was a thread where someone was complaining about something(go figure) and a another poster said to stop pontificating??? Dang, I think it was figs the last time also who mentioned about pontificating???

OT, OT luckily I dont have a dog:D

Just went and looked, and it was fig...dang, I thought my memory was bad. Somehow I remembered that. Of all the things I could have remembered, my mind chose that. Go figure.

fyi.. intransitive verb pontificated -·cat′ed, pontificating -·cat′·ing

to officiate as a pontiff

to speak or act in a pompous or dogmatic way

Our last cruise on The Glory had a deviation dropping Costa Maya and adding Isle of Roatan to our itinerary. We were taken aback at first.Heck,we never even heard of Isle of Roatan! Then we decided if we stay in a bad place over it there was no way we would enjoy it. So, we decided to go with the flowand picked:) what we thought would be a fun excursion and enjoy a new destination. Well, we had one of our best experiences of the cruise at that port of call. It even rained while we were there but we had so much fun it didn't matter.

BUT-I DID VENT!! A LOT!!! at first.

By the way we spent that day,at Isle of Roatan,at Gumbalimba Park and it was a wonderful place to visit.

Well put. People do research when they buy a $30 boombox, or at least I do. Why wouldn't you do research when you are going to spend many times that amount on a cruise. If you've done your homework, there will be no surprises. Yes, it would be disappointing to miss a port, but to expect compensation or to slam the cruise line for something that is out of their control is rediculous.

Surprisingly (well, maybe not) there are more people who do no research at all. I too get frustrated when I read posts from people who did no research and expect to be compensated for their lack of preparedness. I also get frustrated with people who will post their opinion on subjects they have no knowledge of.

I know all too well the hazards associated with seagoing travel and have probably dealt with every one of the most serious issues. That does not mean I am not disappointed when a port is cancelled but it DOES mean that I will get frustrated and most likely lash out at the less than intelligent people who do no research yet expect to be compensated.

Changing ports due to weather is one thing. Changing ports due to a mechanical issue that they have known about for quite some time is another. We booked the Miracle, and sailed on it in November, because DH wanted to see the Panama Canal. One of those once in a lifetime things. The ship made it there and back without a problem. If there had of been a last minute change in itinerary I know we would have been very upset.

I agree, let people vent if they are so inclined. They are justified in being upset.

I read a thread on here several days ago about how some people can't even tell you WHAT SHIP they're on!!!!!!!!!!!! How would you expect those people to know ANYTHING about what the contract says????? For some, common sense is just, well, non existent. We can "preach", "pontificate", "explain", you name it, all we want. These people just are not going to get it. All the negative replies do is raise the blood pressure of the person responding since the receiver of the response has their head so far in the sand that any "common sense" reply might as well be posted in another language. Just MHO.

Archived