Ventura Doubts

gwentman

Sue and I are booked on the 'Essence of the Caribbean' cruise next March, and we are becoming increasingly concerned about adverse reports on this ship we are receiving from friends.

We have read the CC'ers reviews, but wonder if any experienced P&O cruisers can re-assure us that the ship, service etc are up to P&O standards. We accept that this is a big ship ( no problem - we love QM2) and is probably more 'casual' but have we made a mistake?

We await replies with our fingers crossed!

What are you worried about? Its a large family ship but you are going in term time so there will be a lot less children onboard than in the summer holidays. The ship is new with lovely cabins and bars. I would go on her again, especially to the Caribbean I'm sure it will be wonderful. A lot of people love her.

I made up a photo album of the ship here is the link, shows public rooms, our balcony cabin, pools etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#

You must decide for yourself. You could cancel, but whos to say the next ship you choose will be better?

Go and enjoy!:)

I find it strange that somebody would book a holiday and then worry what others have to say. We are all different, some people love Ventura others do not, that goes for those new to cruising and also those cruising Veterans. On here you will get many people voicing there opinions, some for, some against. The only way you will know is if it is for you, is to go and try it. I would add that when Ventura first came on to the scene, the majority of reports were not very favourable, but now the pendulum seems to have swung the other way, and most reports now appear to be positive.

Having been on Ventura myself, I loved it, the ship, the food, the service and the entertainment, as for you, the only way you will know, is to go and give it a try. Don't rely on second hand info.;)

We were on Ventura in November and had a great time. The only complaint we had was trying to get in to eat in the Freedom Dining Restaurant. We had to wait almost every night between 30 mins and the longest was 1 hour. We thought the food was really good. There wasn't much atmosphere in the restaurant though.

We would definitely go on Ventura again.

Hi,

Having only ever cruised on the QM2 prior to our recent cruise with Ventura, in my own humble opinion, you will not be disappointed with Ventura.

She is a lovely ship, we had wonderful service and the food was excellent and we met some lovely people on board.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time!!

Enjoy!!:D

I'll join the chorus of those who have enjoyed Ventura. We did a Canary Isles cruise in late september - early October, and had a fine time. I blogged about it; you can find an overview of the cruise, and links to individual 'day-by-day' entries, here:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/previous-cruises/cruises-in-2008/ventura-cruise/

We went on Ventura on the reverse cruise to yourselves in October and loved it. Go with an open mind and I'm sure you will too. The service was top notch and she is a lovely ship. Don't miss East, The White Room, tapas in Ramblas and the full 3 courses in Ramblas. I can honestly say that we did not have a bad meal anywhere on board. The enterainment was excellent and all of the crew could not do enough for us.

Don't worry. You're going on holiday. :D I just wish we could come too!

Eddie

As a number of people have said before, only you will be able to make the call.

We did not find it up to P&O standards.

Others found it was.

SOme found it to be better than normal.

Who is right?

Everyone, because they are just opinions.

Normally the tough job for you is reading them all and then deciding if you want to book the cruise.

If you have already booked, then why torment yourselves reading the reviews!

I hope you have a brilliant time onboard Ventura.

Cheers

Gerry

Sue and I are booked on the 'Essence of the Caribbean' cruise next March, and we are becoming increasingly concerned about adverse reports on this ship we are receiving from friends.

We have read the CC'ers reviews, but wonder if any experienced P&O cruisers can re-assure us that the ship, service etc are up to P&O standards. We accept that this is a big ship ( no problem - we love QM2) and is probably more 'casual' but have we made a mistake?

I am not sure why anybody would post this topic, as there are umteen Ventura threads and reviews. My advice to look through all the Ventura topics and reviews, read as many as you feel able to do, and when March arrives go on holiday with a positive mind .

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster lol.

I'm booked on this boat as well, Europe next year. Hope it's ok. Reviews seem mixed.

Does anyone know if the speakers are good?

Thank you.

All depends on who P&O contract for your particular cruise could be anyone.

As Jenni says we had Phillip Hayton the newscaster and Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz, Phillip was excellant.

I am sure you will love your cruise but like evryone says just go with an open mind and do not listen to the moaners, there are alot of them about.

I am not sure why anybody would post this topic, as there are umteen Ventura threads and reviews. My advice to look through all the Ventura topics and reviews, read as many as you feel able to do, and when March arrives go on holiday with a positive mind .

I posted since I have read all the reviews and many are from first- timers who would not necessarily be able to compare, and others were from the period after her launch, and I hope that P&O have now been able to iron out teething troubles.

In reply to Beckyfaye: we booked this cruise because we have done it before and likethe combination of a week in the Caribbean and a week's ocean voyage. The only other P&O ship doing it this year is Artemis, which was fully booked, hence this booking.

I expect we shall enjoy it as we enjoy all our cruises, but whether we re-book Ventura remains to be seen.

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to reply.

Happy Christmas!

If you go on holiday with a negative attitude then you are certain not to enjoy it. Try reading the Ventura review thread its just a little further down the page, there are good selection of reviews mostly positive. If still uneasy about Ventura, cancel said holiday and book for 2010 on the ship you want.

Just returned from Ventura, lovely ship.

Food in the White room and East fantastic but mediocre in the Cinammon dinning room and buffet.

Entertainment was another disappointment only a couple of the Theatre group shows were really good, but this is a new group and the 5/12 was their first cruise so they may improve.

great spa lots of offers when we were onboard.

Seating round the main pool just a bit cramped to say the least other pools a bit more space between seats.

We're just back off the Ventura (came back on the 20th) and had a great time. We had a balcony cabin and as usual the standard was very high and our cabin boy was lovely. We chose Freedom dining in the Cinammon Restaurant and that worked very well for us. We knew she was a big ship but soon got used to her size. There was 84 children on board, these next two weeks there will be close to 500 on board. We found no fault although on the first sea day it was manic for a sunbed but come the second sea day there was plenty available.

Archived