one F3 only

smeyer418

Thought you're over on HAL and others these days?;):D

Hey' date=' I bet Klaus will be onboard.:)[/quote']

YES he will! I had dinner with him a couple weeks ago in Miami and had known, that F3 will be build and told him we will be on the Transatlantic. You need many sea days to explore this ship. And we never said we will never sail NCL! It is just time to explore new things to enjoy the 'too used to' again!

STX France just announced that they will complete the first ship. The concept for F3 has been altered. They indicate the design will offer ‘more space’ but declined to go into detail, and said NCL will provide further information at a later date.

Now a rumor in various news areas is that the 2nd ship will not be built & that they had cancelled the 3rd. But we wait for NCL to give the "horse's mouth" version of the story.

If Jamie has any more info it is time to post. Same with my officers from Jewel that stated they'd be here to answer questions.

Also NCL just inked a contract with Port of Miami for the next 10 years. NCL secures priority access to two large-ship berths at Terminals B and C. So F3 is all set!

So with today's announcement of one F3 to be completed in late May 2010 and yesterday's announcement of a 10 year agreement and port upgrades in Miami does that lead one to assume there could be summer 2010 sailings of the F3 in the Caribbean? :cool:

For the summer of 2010 NCL has Sun, Star, and Pearl in Alaska; Spirit and Dawn in Bermuda; Jewel, Jade, and Gem in Europe; Pride of America in Hawaii; and Sky in Bahamas. So where does the F3 cruise that first summer?

Is the F3 going to be in the Caribbean? At tender ports? Just that tendering 4,200 pax should be, uh, interesting.

We just got reaquainted with NCL and like very much the Jewel-class ships - 9x,000 tons. Just seems like a good size. Never felt "crowded".

Last April we were on a smaller RCI ship in Cozumel when one of the monster RCI ships docked next to us. Their main complaint: getting off the ship - especially in Belize and Cayman!!

So with today's announcement of one F3 to be completed in late May 2010 and yesterday's announcement of a 10 year agreement and port upgrades in Miami does that lead one to assume there could be summer 2010 sailings of the F3 in the Caribbean? :cool:

For the summer of 2010 NCL has Sun, Star, and Pearl in Alaska; Spirit and Dawn in Bermuda; Jewel, Jade, and Gem in Europe; Pride of America in Hawaii; and Sky in Bahamas. So where does the F3 cruise that first summer?

I think you are correct. Was hoping for europe , but they won't be sending a 4th ship over.

• Administrators

I'm not sure I'm a "behemoth" ship kind of girl, but if it gave me an NCL option in the Caribbean in the summer, I think I'd be asking "which curvy cabin has my name on it?" :)

I doubt any firm decision will be made for a while -- Europe has gone very soft, and many lines are backing off their prior numbers there. In NCL's place I wouldn't commit a new asset there so far in advance.

Thought you're over on HAL and others these days?;):D

Hey' date=' I bet Klaus will be onboard.:)[/quote']

According to Hugo' date=' he will be bringing out the F3 as Hotel Director.

PE[/quote']

And as the VP Shipboard Operations I would bet Klaus will be onbaord as well.

I'm not sure I'm a "behemoth" ship kind of girl, but if it gave me an NCL option in the Caribbean in the summer, I think I'd be asking "which curvy cabin has my name on it?" :)

I doubt any firm decision will be made for a while -- Europe has gone very soft, and many lines are backing off their prior numbers there. In NCL's place I wouldn't commit a new asset there so far in advance.

The cruise lines cannot pull all the ships back to the american market it is over capacity allready, it would turn into another NCLA.

Both NCL and RCI kept a ship in the med to try it out over the winter.

They need to promote sensible prices in europe to europeans to keep the ships full and be less dependant on high paying US travelers flying over.

• Administrators
The cruise lines cannot pull all the ships back to the american market it is over capacity allready, it would turn into another NCLA.

Both NCL and RCI kept a ship in the med to try it out over the winter.

They need to promote sensible prices in europe to europeans to keep the ships full and be less dependant on high paying US travelers flying over.

I don't disagree with that, but NCL has ZERO presence in the Caribbean market from late April to October from Southern US ports. I'm not advocating pulling all ships from Europe (for the reasons you state); I'm just saying it would be nice if maybe the new build were assigned to creating a Caribbean presence during a time NCL has none other than the New York one -- I just can't see my way to flying northward in order to sail southward and then return.

The NCL press release doesn't mention the penalties that are being reported elsewhere that NCL will have to pay for only going with one ship. It is an expensive proposition to go ahead with just one ship and the need to market it's unique characteristics that set it apart from NCL's other ships. It will just be another additional marketing cost for NCL. Hope NCL will be able to recoup the added costs with that 'niche crowd' who are fine with paying extra for cover charges just to experience clubs with overpriced drinks compared to land based options on a one-of-a kind ship. I have my doubts to put it modestly.

I don't disagree with that, but NCL has ZERO presence in the Caribbean market from late April to October from Southern US ports. I'm not advocating pulling all ships from Europe (for the reasons you state); I'm just saying it would be nice if maybe the new build were assigned to creating a Caribbean presence during a time NCL has none other than the New York one -- I just can't see my way to flying northward in order to sail southward and then return.

Won't the caribbean summer market

Hit the huricane season

Put it up against Oasis of the Seas as well as others allready there

Need to be 7n cruises since it will be mainly the US market with no vacation time.

This would put massive pressure on the limited capacity features, just like on the current fleet it is the shorter cruises that have the problems with the speciality restaurant bookings.

With costs rising everywhere spreading out with more home ports may be the way to go capture a local market, the problem is you need more repos, look at the jade it has 4 bases in the year,

NCL are consolidating europe with single home ports for the 3 ships already announced 2010 itineraries.

Note the Jade is being based in BCN(western med), The Gem moving to home port in Venice(greece/Turkey/croatia) with the Jewel still doing the Baltic runs from Dover

This leaves Southampton(one of the few ports big enough to handle the ship) open for the F3.(a 2hr drive so my prefered choice) and can do 14n trips which are much better for the bigger ships.

I just received word that the first F3 is moving forward. NCL has reached an agreement with the shipyard. There will be changes in the design and it is due out in May of 2010. As of this writing, the second F3 will not be built.

Sorry for the second post.

A couple other items point towards NCL putting a ship in the Caribbean for the summer of 2010. In the press release announcing the 10 year lease in Miami it says NCL is getting two berths and is guaranteeing a minimum of $98 million in port fees during the lease. Based on the current NCL sailings that would mean from mid-April to mid-October NCL would have an empty berth earning no port fees. Also the upgrades to the terminal are to be done in 12 to 18 months, just in time for the F3.

The F3 could do the mirror opposite schedule of the Oasis of the Sea. In the summer of 2010 the Oasis of the Sea switches between 7 day Eastern Caribbean and 7 day Western Caribbean sailings. If these ports can handle the size of the Oasis of the Seas they can handle the F3. :eek:

We would welcome any NCL ship cruising the Caribbean in the summer, since we need to fit our cruise to the school schedules.

Archived