Anyone purchase prescription meds in Mexico?

Arwenmark

We didn't but were on a tour with a nurse who was getting all hers in Mexico. HUGE savings. She'd saved about $100 on Retyn-A. she was talking about the elderly where she works arranging regularly-scheduled bus tours to Mexico to get their prescriptions filled.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but at least it gives you more info!

They sell many things over the counter there that are prescription here. We have bought anit-biotics and retin-A but that is it. I would be really careful purchasing anything there as their standards are no where close to ours. I have found that I can get a prescription here for more that their over the counter price but we needed the anti-biotics once when we were there.

It just Depends.

Some items are going to be cheaper there then in the states.

Some items aren't.

Lots of regular visitors to various areas have their prescriptions sent to the USA via the mail.

If you need a doctors prescription, it is usually for narcotics. The Pharmacy can arrange a visit to a local doctor for you. Take your American prescription bottle with you.

I would NOT have any fear of buying prescription medicines in Mexico.

Some over the counter items are more potent however. Tylenol etc. Read the bottle.

Hugh in Dallas

I've purchased medications in Mexico without a prescription many times, including during the 6-years when I lived there. The narcotics and psycotropic (sp?) drugs require a prescription from a Mexican doctor. For a friend who was uninsured in the USA, I'd return home from my visits with inhalers that in Mexico cost about 20% of what the USA pharmacy cost was. Well-known named drugs are fine to use from Mexico, it's the generic medications with which you face the greatest risk of bad compounds, mixed things, etc., etc.

No and never will. If it's to be taken by mouth I wouldn't trust it. "Prescription" drugs are not regulated in Mexico. You may save money but you could end up taking a placebo or something dangerous and your health is worth much more than the few dollars saved.

No and never will. If it's to be taken by mouth I wouldn't trust it. "Prescription" drugs are not regulated in Mexico. You may save money but you could end up taking a placebo or something dangerous and your health is worth much more than the few dollars saved.

Very good points . . . add also that they may be out of date.

The manufacture of pharmaceuticals is regulated in Mexico - the ones produced by the internationally respected companies - the same companies which produce pharmaceuticals in the USA or Canada. Anyone who has told you differently doesn't know what they're talking about. ;-)

I always suggest that people confine their purchases to well-established drug stores.

If there's a problem with oversight/regulation it may be in the area of generic medications.

About purchases: Mexico permits visitors to be in possession of the maximum of a 90-day personal supply. Purchasing more than that may subject you to problems with police, etc., depending upon what it is you'll purchase.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried buying their prescription medications for less getting them in Mexico and if so how you did that work?

This is what we have experienced. We often go to los Algodones, near Yuma, AZ. It is a very small border town filled with pharmacies, dentists, and such. For several years we purchased our meds there and saved a lot, with no concern about safety. Some were identical to what we got in the US - even US manufactured. However, since the advent of RX insurance plans, and the $4 deals at many US pharmacies, the savings have virtually disappeared. Some items were even much more expensive in MX. I still by a precription eye drop with great savings, but that is all

Bottom line - it certainly depends on what you purchase and what your own insurance situation might be.

We have purchased prescription drugs many times in Mexico and will continue to do so. For example, Imitrex is approx. $75 for 9 pills in the US - in MX the same thing is under $20.

We live close enough to the border to shop but due to the extreme danger at border cities, we don't go often. We purchased drugs on our last Mexican Riviera cruise. There are plenty of pharmacias close to the ports.

I purchased Retin-A a few years back. No prescription needed in Mexico. The packaging was in English.

Back when I was struggling with this same dilemma, another CC person, recommended shopping at pharmacies that were air conditioned. Easier said then done. But I did eventually find one that was air conditioned. The pharmacist and shop look like any you'd find in small town America before all the big box pharmacies took over.

Just as a side note. Several years ago when I was in Isla Mujures, a young, clean-cut looking college age kid, came into the pharmacy where we were shopping for some dramamine. The pharmacist and the kid had a heated discussion, and the pharmacist kicked him out of the store. When he left, I asked, "what's going on?". Apparently, the kid was looking to buy Rohynol (the date rape drug). The pharmacist was quite outraged, as well he should be.

I live about 90 min north of Tijuana. When we didn't have insurance we would go there to purchase name brand drugs. I wouldn't get generic. You just don't know where they're from. Name brand will come in a sealed carton or bottle, just like here. The box or packaging might be in Spanish. I have also gone to WalMart's pharmacy at most Mexican cruise ship ports and found better prices than the pharmacias.

There is a huge thread right now on Trip Advisor about the pros of buying Rentinol, Retacnyl ($12.00 for 30 grams of .025)and Retin A.

Many posters are Americans and Canadians who live there and some who have bought down there, I personally wouldn't have a problem with picking such items up :)

Archived