Independence of the Seas. Rude people?

vwalk

My family sailed on the IOS 12/7-12/13. I'm curious to receive other's opinions on the cruise. The following is an excerpt from the member reviews section of this fine website. I believe that Steve N hit the nail on the head with the following paragraph:

OTHERS... Oh dear. A certain generation that have lost the ability to smile, say please or thank you or pass the time of day. 'I've paid for it so I'm going to have it all and more' is there obvious reason for being. The public displays of greed and gluttony have to be seen to be believed, no wonder there is a high propensity of walking sticks on board just to cater for failed load bearing hips and knees. Rude, arrogant individuals who are old enough to know better, they will move their sunbeds constantly so they are dead in line with sun, encroaching walkways, blocking you in and shoving themselves into your personal space. Pushing in et al.

Steve N took this cruise in September and observed the same behavior that I did. I was deeply bothered by the rudeness displayed by the passengers on this particular cruise. Being from the Mid West, perhaps it's a cultural thing. I've taught my children to always respect older people, but it was quite difficult during this cruise.

I'm looking forward to other's opinions that were on the cruise.

I complained about the same rudeness problem on our Liberty cruise on 12/6. People shoving their way into packed elevators before anyone could get off to make room for them.

Kids acting like little babies if they couldn't get their way.

Hogging lounge chairs which were never used by them.

Stepping in front of people who had lined up early to see a parade or other show and getting angry when politely asked to move or at least get down so the early arrivers could see.

Unfortunately, this is what society is like in many cases. "It's all about me and what I want when I want it."

A small portion of the blame goes to the people who sit back and say nothing! If someone doesn't stand up to the bully, the bully will always be the bully! Don't just shake your head and whisper to your DW or DH -- say something! If you're on a ship do you really think they'll pull a weapon on you? Forgetaboutit! I've put both arms out wide when the elevator door opens and given a stern "hold on" twice on my last two cruises! And please don't crash into me.......my elbow might "accidently" land on your face! Whoops! I don't put up with it. With my family or yours! If I see it happening to you... I'll say something! I've got your back -- do you have mine?

Steve

I was on Independence in September too.... can confirm an issue with the sun beds but not so bad that I would need to actually say something.... didn't notice any bad behaviour or overt gluttony. In the lifts everyone was very friendly and chatty and overall I found the atmosphere very conducive to a holiday.

Interestingly, I have read recently (here on CC) that cruises out of south Florida are more likely to have a large number of older passengers.....some of whom are quite rude. Since we have never cruised from there, I can't say that I have found that to be true.....just something that I have read here on CC recently.

We have found rude people on both land and sea. When people are with others whom they think they will never see again, they often let their true selves come out......they feel a sense of anonymity......

Too bad that many people's true selves are rude and boorish. We, too, have said something or stepped in front of people trying to push their way into a crowded elevator, in order to allow other passengers to have a chance to get off first. The people either get mad or they act like they had no idea what they were doing.......and that was on Voyager out of Texas.

We will be on Voyager again in Feb and I'm sure we will run into many people doing the same thing again.

Yes, we did see several people really "stocking up" at the buffet....made me think that they were preparing for hibernation or something! :rolleyes: We didn't really care, though, as there was plenty for everyone.

I think gluttony and rudeness are magnified on a cruise ship because of the close quarters, everyone vying for the same space and facilities, and the anonymity factor. I just try to get away as quickly as possible from people who are behaving in a way that I find offensive.

Not to pile on, but I had the same impression on the IOS 11/29 sailing. Someone thought they should be able to forge ahead of us while taking seats in the main theater, even though we could not go any faster than the people in front of us. Believe me, he did not get past us.

Sometimes I think it is the shear law of averages. With 4,000 people on a ship you have all types of personalities and behaviors.

Mike

A small portion of the blame goes to the people who sit back and say nothing! If someone doesn't stand up to the bully, the bully will always be the bully! Don't just shake your head and whisper to your DW or DH -- say something! If you're on a ship do you really think they'll pull a weapon on you? Forgetaboutit! I've put both arms out wide when the elevator door opens and given a stern "hold on" twice on my last two cruises! And please don't crash into me.......my elbow might "accidently" land on your face! Whoops! I don't put up with it. With my family or yours! If I see it happening to you... I'll say something! I've got your back -- do you have mine?

Steve

yep but watch that elbow business. no matter if you are right or wrong, that could get you tossed off the ship (well, at the next port, anyway;)). i remember a story about someone grabbing the arm of an older kid who was doing something awful...you guessed it, THAT person got kicked off the ship, not the kid.

I will say something to someone if needed, but I ask myself, "is this moron worth my time?" (especially on vacation) before engaging with such types.

I think what upset me on our recent Explorer cruise were the passengers who had no regard for those in a wheel chair. There were a number of people who were in a wheel chair, used a walker and had a cane. The elevator situation was terrible and those in a chair would have to wait for several elevators to pass before they could get on the elevator. People would push ahead to make sure they made it. I felt sorry for these people because so many other passengers viewed them as invisible.

I personally think RCL should dedicate an elevator to handicapped individuals. There just aren't enough elevators anyway on the voyager class for the number of passengers. It made such an impression on me I did put it on my comment card.

BIL made a great point on our last cruise. Cruises attract people from all cultures and parts of the world. Not to make excuses, but different cultures have different norms of behavior.

BIL pointed out that in Japan (I think it was Japan) wealthy people have "pushers".......men wearing white gloves who walk ahead of the person and literally push people out of the way so that "the boss" has his/her own little space to walk in. That is considered acceptable in Japan. Those pushers would get a pop in the chops for doing that in Texas! We have plenty of space to walk without pushing others out of the way (except at the malls during Christmas :eek::eek:) and we like our own space!

In countries that are much more densely populated or where there are shortages of goods and services, people tend to behave differently in crowds. It's the old supply-and-demand thing at work. People, who we would consider to be polite, end up at the back of the line without whatever goods or services they are seeking. Just look at Black Friday sales to see that supply-and-demand mentality at work here in the US! And we are actually promoting it!

BIL pointed out that in Japan (I think it was Japan) wealthy people have "pushers".......men wearing white gloves who walk ahead of the person and literally push people out of the way so that "the boss" has his/her own little space to walk in. That is considered acceptable in Japan. Those pushers would get a pop in the chops for doing that in Texas! We have plenty of space to walk without pushing others out of the way (except at the malls during Christmas :eek::eek:) and we like our own space!

You could always "steer" 'em. :eek:

I've seen the lounge chairs moved all over the deck on every ship. Some folks have no respect for keeping walkways clear, no respect for other folks, and are just so focused on their own wants (will not say needs because only babies and other with bilirubin(sp?) issues really NEED to soak up lots of direct sunlight) that they move the loungers wherever they want, block walking paths etc. Personally I get enough direct sun at the ranch that I haven't spent on all my cruises more than 2 hours total sitting in a lounger by the pool. Crown lounge, shade, ac, and still can see the pool deck.

I appreciate everyone's input and it's good to know that I'm not the only one that has noticed such behavior. I would like to cruise again and am curious about some of your comments.

1. I understand that this is a RCI forum and I may step on some toes BUT have some of you found other cruiselines to have more "down to earth" passengers. I think that RCI is a great cruise company and it costs a little more than the others. Does this attract a certain clientel? Let me add that I understand that rude people are everywhere and I effectively deal with them on a daily basis. I'm not looking for the perfect cruise.

2. My particular cruise left on Dec 6th. Although I took my 12 and 13 year old children, the majority of the passengers were 55+. Do passengers tend to be more pleasant during other times of the year (maybe when kids are out of school) when a different age group is sailing?

3. The gluttony issue doesn't bother me except when people are cutting me off in the buffet line (which happened frequently). I feel that gluttony/lack of self control will ultimately affect the persons quality of life/lifespan. Enough said.

4. I'm not sure if I agree with the "you tolerate, you promote it" philosophy, however I do appreciate it. I try to live by the "turn the other cheek" philosophy, but by the 7th day....both my cheeks were bruised.

My family sailed on the IOS 12/7-12/13. I'm curious to receive other's opinions on the cruise. The following is an excerpt from the member reviews section of this fine website. I believe that Steve N hit the nail on the head with the following paragraph:

OTHERS... Oh dear. A certain generation that have lost the ability to smile, say please or thank you or pass the time of day. 'I've paid for it so I'm going to have it all and more' is there obvious reason for being. The public displays of greed and gluttony have to be seen to be believed, no wonder there is a high propensity of walking sticks on board just to cater for failed load bearing hips and knees. Rude, arrogant individuals who are old enough to know better, they will move their sunbeds constantly so they are dead in line with sun, encroaching walkways, blocking you in and shoving themselves into your personal space. Pushing in et al.

Steve N took this cruise in September and observed the same behavior that I did. I was deeply bothered by the rudeness displayed by the passengers on this particular cruise. Being from the Mid West, perhaps it's a cultural thing. I've taught my children to always respect older people, but it was quite difficult during this cruise.

I'm looking forward to other's opinions that were on the cruise.

I was on the same cruise. I noticed a lil bit of this happening. Had one guy ask if I was inline for the omlette station. I said yes. Then the lady said next and he jumped in and said me.. wow some balls when I am a big guy.. :) One other thing that bothered me.. There was a lady in a electric cart moving about the ship. On 70's night she just ran people over and didn't care. We were there just standing next to a couple of people and she decides just to back it up without saying excuse me. Just ran into the people, no apology. She was plain rude as I notice her in the stores doing the same thing. I have respect for the hadicapp but that was plain ridiculous what she was doing. I hate to be mean but I wished her batteries died. :) Kidding of course.

We were on the December 7th cruise and I guess we were very fortunate, because I thought it was the most respectful group I have ever cruised with for the sheer number of passengers. The tendering was realtively painless, along with the other venues handling large number of people. We really had a great cruise and again, I thought the people were very well mannered.

We did mostly take the stairs and deliberately steer clear of congestion though. If by gluttony you were sizing up someone's plate - well it's their waistline and their vacation, so that's not a bother to me - heck, I diet all year to enjoy the breakfast gravy and chocolate deserts.

Likewise, I thought the crew was fabulous - smiles everywhere from everyone.

One exception - the future cruise directer - she needs sensitivity training or a vacation herself.

and what happened to my post?

what you can say japanese but not jewish?

what my post just disappeared?

You can say Puerto Rican, handicaped? But not "two old Jewish ladies with tons of makeup on'? Please tell me CC is not controlled but politically correct nimnons..!

Mostly it's controlled by control freaks and travel agents - I was ratted out for mentioning a travel site to check for discounts by a resident travel agent in a New York minute.

I wonder how long I have wear the dunce cap in my profile. Thanks Sue.

I've noticed the behavior of passengers rapidly decline in recent years. Just within the last 2 years, I was appalled at the behavior of the passengers on the AOS from San Juan and the NOS from Civitavecchia. Ironically, the passengers on a 3 night Majesty cruise last month were far better behaved.

For once, I have no active bookings on RC. Passenger behavior has driven to me shop around. I am trying Celebrity in April.

Oh, and let me say this.....when you are surrounded by inconsiderate jerks on a cruise ship, the term "a cruise is what you make of it" goes right out the window.

Rude people are everywhere. They are not limited to one age group or ethnic background. They are not limited to one cruise line as I have experienced on every other line that I have cruised. Sadly, this is just a sign of the times.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly. I've experienced it from every corner of the country (and overseas). People sometimes forget their manners.

BTW, I am a New Yorker (originally) and I feel we do not deserve the reputation of being so rude ... slow to trust and assertive maybe.;) The rudest people I ever met were from ... well ... nevermind ... that could start another popcorn overflow...

Archived