Independence of the Seas. Rude people?

vwalk

I don't think it is particular cruise or a particular ship. My family and I noticed the rude behavior on our 12/20 Nav cruise. It started while waiting to board and ended when we disembarked. Don't get me wrong, we met plenty of lovely folks on board as well. But, rude behavior was dominant.

Examples:

The young lady who was sitting back to back with my husband in the seats while waiting to board. My DH leaned back and the back of his chair kept pushing against hers and that was enough to get her in a tizzy and she shot him a look to kill - yes I saw your look :rolleyes:

The grown woman in the Windjammer who was walking behind my 13 yo on his way back to our table with a spoon...apparently he wasn't walking fast enough and she stopped, shot a sarcastic look at the back of his head and then began walking again - yes I saw your look :rolleyes:

I don't know about all of you, but I was taught to allow people off of an elevator before getting on...this seemed to be a skill many of my fellow passengers were not taught.

We got down to a table at the Pub a 1/2 hour before a parade one night to make sure we had good viewing. Well...1 minute before the parade, a family came and stood right in front of our table. :rolleyes:

These are just a sampling...I could go on.

Most of these things fall into the "you had to be there" category. But if had been leaning my chair back in a way that "kept pushing against" the chair of someone else, I would feel fortunate if all I got was a dirty look.

........Yes, we did see several people really "stocking up" at the buffet....made me think that they were preparing for hibernation or something! :rolleyes: We didn't really care, though, as there was plenty for everyone.

I think gluttony and rudeness are magnified on a cruise ship because of the close quarters, everyone vying for the same space and facilities, and the anonymity factor. I just try to get away as quickly as possible from people who are behaving in a way that I find offensive.

I saw one woman with at least 2 lbs of bacon on her plate in the WJ. :mad:She wasn't even eating it. It just sat there and got cold. And there were people waiting in line for bacon.:mad:

I saw one woman with at least 2 lbs of bacon on her plate in the WJ. :mad:She wasn't even eating it. It just sat there and got cold. And there were people waiting in line for bacon.:mad:

Just how do you know this person with all the bacon or whatever was on her plate was just for her. Maybe she was getting a plate for her family to share. I know when I traveled with my mother I always had her sit and I filled a plate for us as it was easier to just put one plate on another and put the food for both of us on one plate. I had no idea people like you were there eyeing my dish up and making judgements. That to me is the height of rudeness. And btw when I travel with my husband and we are by the pool "I" go into Windjammer and bring back lunch for both of us. So you must be watching me again. Gee why don't you get a life.

Most of these things fall into the "you had to be there" category. But if had been leaning my chair back in a way that "kept pushing against" the chair of someone else, I would feel fortunate if all I got was a dirty look.

Wow...there are some folks out there with some anger management issues I guess. I guess I'm the type not to let things like that bother me. If it had been me, I would have simply adjusted my chair so that they were no longer touching and not even given it a second thought. But, again...I don't sweat the small stuff...makes life a little sweeter. And, in the end...I let my DH know he was upsetting the girl behind him...he moved his chair...and went on with our conversations with those around us. Honestly, I feel bad for those who share this frame of mind...sad.

Just how do you know this person with all the bacon or whatever was on her plate was just for her. Maybe she was getting a plate for her family to share. I know when I traveled with my mother I always had her sit and I filled a plate for us as it was easier to just put one plate on another and put the food for both of us on one plate. I had no idea people like you were there eyeing my dish up and making judgements. That to me is the height of rudeness. And btw when I travel with my husband and we are by the pool "I" go into Windjammer and bring back lunch for both of us. So you must be watching me again. Gee why don't you get a life.

As I stated before, the bacon just sat there and got cold while others were waiting for bacon to be served at the buffet. No one was eating at that point. They were finished and just talking and ready to leave. Personally I find this rather disgusting and gluttonous. No wonder the cruise industry is cutting corners. BTW, I normally don't watch anyone's plate but they were so loud and obnoxious you couldn't help it. If this was you I feel sorry for you.

BTW I have a great life. :cool:

Being a school teacher for 25 (+) years, I am seeing the attitude towards proper behaviors/manners dimishing quickly.

I do not feel that holding people accountable for their actions is considered strict or old fashion but rather having class and a respectful person in general.

It's all about the "APPLE" folks so let's lead by example. Remember those character traits of honesty, kindness, consideration of others, taking responsiblility of one's actions, and being respectful were truly the good old days.

Many but certainly not all parents just don't do, don't care, or still have not learned yet to take responsibility that comes with being a parent or an adult.

By the way, I'm in my mid 40"s therefore don't consider myself older than dirt just yet.

I have 2 boys (17 & 12) and they certainly understand what the word "NO" means and who's in charge.

They impress so many and yet they don't understand why.............It's been part of their upbringing for years therefore they don't know differently. They do roll their eyes at the lack of class of some just like many of us do too.

We just expect the worst (in given situations) and hope for the best.

Happy Cruising to All!!:)

Rude people are not exclusively on RCL. We were on NCL, POAL in Feb and you couldn't believe the things we witnessed. People being rude to staff members and other passengers. We felt that the ones being rude felt they were entitled. The majority of the passengers were 60+. (We are almost there but not quite :p) I am not saying this because they were older,its just that it was the median age of passengers and they just didn't care how they spoke,or acted to other passengers or staff.

After experiencing NCL we now just laugh it off and say can you believe people really act like that. I am the kind of person that gives it back so when a older man pushed me out of the way so he could get to a seat in the theatre I said are you kidding me! There are plenty of seats CHILL, he looked at me as if I had 2 heads, then realized what he had done and looked away sheepishly. Did I love NCL? You betcha, you will encounter rude people everywhere so I don't think its exclusive to RCL.

Rude people are everywhere. They are not limited to one age group or ethnic background. They are not limited to one cruise line as I have experienced on every other line that I have cruised. Sadly, this is just a sign of the times.

Dito

Fortunatly that goes for nice people too.

Archived