Balcony Cabins on Sun Princess

Sailaway John

Hi all out there!

Is there anyone that could give a run down on the balcony cabins on Sun Princess. My wife and I are looking at a balcony cabin for the Sun princess sailing to Asia in June. We have sailed on the Pacific Dawn in a balcony cabin but wondering what the Sun Princess cabins were like.

We have sailed on the Sun Princess when she was in the Caribbean. We booked a Caribe deck balcony and were upgraded to the Riviera Deck. We were unhappy about this UNTIL we got there. We loved that cabin! The balconies on the Sun Princess are cut into the sides of the ship so they are small and quite protected. The Riviera Deck balconies have a larger cut out than the lower decks. We also had a mini suite on the Dawn Princess, the Sun's sister ship, and while the cabin was larger, the balcony was the same depth, just twice as long as it followed the width of the cabin. We were the last cabin toward the pool on the Riviera Deck. It was a wonderful location, next to the elevator, next to the pool, close to the Horizon Court or Lido buffet, and on the bridge deck. We loved the cozy enclosed balconies, but they were definitely small and cozy. I think Webshots may have some pictures of the Sun/Dawn/Sea/Ocean Princess balconies.

The Sun and the Dawn are sister ships so what you experienced on the Dawn is what you will get on the Sun. If you can I suggest a balcony Baja up as the "hull cutout" is larger on those decks giving you a feeling of more spaciousness.

Just to be clear: Riviera, Aloha and Baja decks all have the larger openings on the balconies. The sisters are nearly identical to one another with minor differences (particulary several aft suites and minis were flip-flopped after the Sun so Dawn, Sea and Ocean were different in that regard). So if you're talking standard balcony it's identical.

The color schemes in the public rooms on each ship reflect their names: Dawn and Sun have rosy, tawny hues throughout, while Ocean and Sea are more blue and green.

My webshots albums should have many pix of various Sun-class ships.

Hi all out there!

Is there anyone that could give a run down on the balcony cabins on Sun Princess. My wife and I are looking at a balcony cabin for the Sun princess sailing to Asia in June. We have sailed on the Pacific Dawn in a balcony cabin but wondering what the Sun Princess cabins were like.

The ships are close to identical in layout and cabin sizes. Since you sailed on the Dawn you know that the actual balcony size is about 3 1/2 ft by the width of the stateroom (about 9 feet). Totally enclosed and covered. Except for the larger opening for the Baja Deck minis, the actual balcony size is no different.

If you are interested in upgrading to a mini suite, there are two aft minis that are switched only on the Sun Princess. More like full suites on the Sun, and absolutely fantastic. They are a quite a bit more expensive, but we found them worth every penny. And the two I am talking about have a huge and deep balcony. Probably one of the best mini suites we have ever had on any ship to date.

Archived