Indy of the Seas in Feb of 09

klstiger

We are sailing on the Indy soon. I have a question regarding cell phones and WIFI on board. Does anyone know what the charges are from RCCL for this? Also, is WiFi anywhere, such as my room, being that I have a blackberry...? I understand I will have additional charges from Sprint as well.

Thanks!

We are sailing on the Indy soon. I have a question regarding cell phones and WIFI on board. Does anyone know what the charges are from RCCL for this? Also, is WiFi anywhere, such as my room, being that I have a blackberry...? I understand I will have additional charges from Sprint as well.

Thanks!

Cell phone service, including data, is not charged by RCI, it is charged by you cell phone company, voice calls are 2.49 per min with AT&T, I think some carrier charge more, call sprint to confirm. I don't use data on the ship, but have had reports of people with VERY LARGE cell phone bills, when using Iphones and Blackberrys, as the phones care always checking for email etc, whenever they are on, once again, check with sprint.

Wifi charges are 55c per minute, you can buy prepaid packages that reduce it to, I believe, 33c per minute. On Freedom Class ships WIFI is ship wide.

Per minute charges on ships that your cel phone company charges are some of the highest (if not the highest) that are out there. Like mentioned ATT is like $2.50/minute....this is in contrast to like .99/minutes that ATT charges for roaming through Europe. I would try to avoid cel phones unless absolutely necessary of your company is going to pick up the tab. As for data....you may be able to buy a international data plan but i believe you will still have ship roaming fess added on...not sure . Now you are probably thinking I will turn off the cel phone part of my Blackberry or I-Phone and just use if via WiFi. The problem with that is you have to first set it up through the ship so they can track usage and charge accordingly. This is most likely where you may have problems....you sometimes can't set up devices like this as you can your laptop....remember your Blackberry or I-Phone is not a computer and does not allow you to download programs....so it may work or may not.....to be honest I have never tried it out on a ship....but I know I have tried to set up accounts in hotels and such on my I-Phone in other places that I have had problems where I couldn't. Easiest...bring a small laptop where you will be able to use WiFi right from your room or just use the ships computers.

Archived