Western and souther caribbean

JNCRUISEBUMS

We just got back from St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Barbados, Cartegena, Costa Rica, Panama, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I use a scooter, can walk a few steps with help and I can give you a lot of info on these ports and what we did and who we used! It was an amazing vacation and we loved every minute. We were on the Celebrity Constellation. Nancie

If you have specific tips for accessible services in these ports, please consider adding them to the appropriate "sticky" topic at the top of this forum.

That color of text you are using is extremely difficult to read, by the way.

We are leaving on the 11th of January with my Mom who is in a wheel chair. We are bringing both her electric and manual chair and would love more info. on St. Thomas and St. Martin (the only 2 places that match our cruise that you went). What you did, how much it cost, which chair would be best and would small kids (1 and 3) be able to go as well.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

We are leaving on the 11th of January with my Mom who is in a wheel chair. We are bringing both her electric and manual chair and would love more info. on St. Thomas and St. Martin (the only 2 places that match our cruise that you went). What you did, how much it cost, which chair would be best and would small kids (1 and 3) be able to go as well.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Celebrity offered an "accessible" tour in St. Thomas and we took it! They even had a lift! We went to Paradise Point with a couplel of photo and shopping stops. It was 55 per person, and then we shopped at the pier, lots and lots of stores! I would take the motorized chair to go on this tour. Yes, kids would enjoy it too! It's only a couple of hours!

St. Martin we used Joyce Prince and she was fabulous! Princepersonal.com We had an amazing day with her! Her van is $300 for the day, I think I would take the manual wheel chair with this one. We were on the french side and the dutch side, orient beach, and everyplace you can even think of. She is so personable and one of our very favorite tour guides. Tell her Nancie and Jim from Austin Tx. said HI! Let me know who you use and what you thought! Bon Voyage..Nancie

Anything on St Kitts? I use a manual chair when cruising and will be with my husband.

Oh my yes! Thenford Gray is the most amazing tour guide there is! We just loved him, a kind, knowledgeable, prince of a man! He is very proud of his island and knows it well! We had an amazing day! His email is:

Thenang06@yahoo.com

Bon Voyage!

Nancie

• 8 months later...

I just learned of a 3 hour St Kitts train tour...and sent them an e-mail...

1. The train is accessible if you can climb a few stairs...you can sit in your wheelchair or on the train seat and they will fold and store the chair...

2 it does have a bathroom on the train

3 you must book this tour on the ship as they have a contract with the cruise lines.

Many people on our roll call have said that they took this tour and it was wonderful

We will be on the Grand Princess in Feb 2010 and stop in St Kitts,

I would love to hear more about Thenford Gray and the type of tour he offered.

Also more about the accessibility in the ports you mentioned.

I will be taking my folding w/c and renting a scooter for the ship (and ports where possible)

Thanks for the information

We went to the fort on top of a high hill, it was gorgeous and VERY old. We went to a Batik factory and there were lovely gardens, went to the beaches, just about anythng you want to do. I would email Thenford and discuss what you would like to do, He is a wonderful man and will enjoy his knowledge of the history and he knows his island! Tell him hi from us! Bon Voyage!!!!

One of our party is in a wheelchair and cannot get out to walk.

Was the fort wheelchair accessible? Were there paved paths or just grass or what? Or were just certain areas which were wheelchair accessible, and if so, which areas?

For the Batik factory, was all of it wheelchair accessible or only certain portions? (For example, the factory and not the gardens) Was it paved or hard surface pathways or what? I assume no steps?

I cannot imagine that the beaches would be wheelchair accessible. Were you actually able to get out and roll the wheelchair at the beaches or were there beach wheelchairs available? If not, then what did you do there?

I would really be interested in knowing these details from someone who has been there and has a sensitivity to the needs of those who use wheelchairs. We have been told that various tourist areas are wheelchair accessible only to find out that it is grass that can't easily be rolled on, or has steps, or gravel/sand, etc. So before I talk to Thenford, I would like to get the "real scoop". Thanks.

One of our party is in a wheelchair and cannot get out to walk.

Was the fort wheelchair accessible? Were there paved paths or just grass or what? Or were just certain areas which were wheelchair accessible, and if so, which areas?

For the Batik factory, was all of it wheelchair accessible or only certain portions? (For example, the factory and not the gardens) Was it paved or hard surface pathways or what? I assume no steps?

I cannot imagine that the beaches would be wheelchair accessible. Were you actually able to get out and roll the wheelchair at the beaches or were there beach wheelchairs available? If not, then what did you do there?

I would really be interested in knowing these details from someone who has been there and has a sensitivity to the needs of those who use wheelchairs. We have been told that various tourist areas are wheelchair accessible only to find out that it is grass that can't easily be rolled on, or has steps, or gravel/sand, etc. So before I talk to Thenford, I would like to get the "real scoop". Thanks.

Hi Kathy,

I use a scooter, so I got out at the fort and watched a 10 minute presentation and looked around...if I had had a wheelchair I could have done a lot more. He drove by all the beaches and we didn't get out at any of them. I also didn't get out at the Batik factory, but I think if I had had a wheelchair I could have gotten around. Thenford will be able to answer all of your questions, he has been doing this for years! Have fun! Nancie

Archived