Ruby Princess

brendalee

We are thinking of going on the 28 day transatlantic cruise to europe. We're deciding on which cabin, etc. makes sense for us. Has anyone had experience with an obstructed oceanview because I am wondering if it's worth it. Also, has anyone cruised for a lengthy period in an inside cabin. I don't mind it but 28 days is a long time. Any information about the ship would also be so helpful. Looking forward to hearing your response.

b

Just got back from the Ruby. The obstructed view cabins face the tenders. Some of them are TOTALLY obstructed, meaning all you see out the window is a view of the tender cabin, maybe with some sunlight bleeding thru the top and bottom. Some are partially obstructed and you can see the ocean in between the parts of the tender. I think they tell you if it's total or not.

Usually you can get a very good idea of how obstructed a view is by looking at the deck plans -- the cabins in between the lifeboats generally have little to no obstruction. You can't go by price or category to tell how obstructed it is -- there are category F cabins that can have less obstruction than some category FFs, which are higher in price. Once you find one that you like, you might want to mark it "do not upgrade" to prevent being upgraded to a cabin that is "better" in terms of being more midship but actually has more of a blocked view.

We are thinking of going on the 28 day transatlantic cruise to europe. We're deciding on which cabin, etc. makes sense for us. Has anyone had experience with an obstructed oceanview because I am wondering if it's worth it. Also, has anyone cruised for a lengthy period in an inside cabin. I don't mind it but 28 days is a long time. Any information about the ship would also be so helpful. Looking forward to hearing your response.

b

28 days is a very long time to be in the dark. Any obstructed view cabin would be better than any inside, since some light is better than no light. My opinion, of course.

28 days is a very long time to be in the dark. Any obstructed view cabin would be better than any inside, since some light is better than no light. My opinion, of course.

I agree totally with Pia. We once did a 15 day sailing in an inside cabin. Everytime it was time to go back to the cabin, we said okay time to go back to the tomb. It had been a last minute booking, and it was the only offering they had. Never Again. If the price difference is minimal, by all means do an obstructed view and first peruse the deck plan to see which obstructed cabins are more so than others. Good Luck and Happy Sailing.:)

I had an obstructed view on the Ruby Princess last week. From the window you are actually seeing overtop of the lifeboat and you see the water and the sunlight. The only problem was there was a maintenance person one morning walking ontop of the lifeboat. Ken...

I had an obstructed view on the Ruby Princess last week. From the window you are actually seeing overtop of the lifeboat and you see the water and the sunlight. The only problem was there was a maintenance person one morning walking ontop of the lifeboat. Ken...

So that means you either close your curtains or keep your clothes on. Your choice. ;)

Well, if the guy is cute................ ha ha Very cute responses, thanks. I'm very excited about this cruise. The ship looks gorgeous and the itinerary is excited............. just a little worried what to do at 6 days at seas... I'm hoping it will be warm from ft. laurderdale to portugal.

Well, if the guy is cute................ ha ha Very cute responses, thanks. I'm very excited about this cruise. The ship looks gorgeous and the itinerary is excited............. just a little worried what to do at 6 days at seas... I'm hoping it will be warm from ft. laurderdale to portugal.

Just a little repartee' to wile away all the extra time on my hands.

The ship is gorgeous and those 6 days will go by w/o you even realizing it. It's amazing how we don't know where the days go; every time we turn around it's time for dinner again.

Just a little repartee' to wile away all the extra time on my hands.

The ship is gorgeous and those 6 days will go by w/o you even realizing it. It's amazing how we don't know where the days go; every time we turn around it's time for dinner again.

I agree those sea days just seem to evaporate with wondering around and doing nothing - something we don't get to do often at home. We love the sea days and would love a 10 day cruise with just sea days:D:D

To answer the original question - just got off Ruby.

Riviera deck has large overhang and the decks below all look down onto people's heads as the decks are tiered out. The sea was a rumor up on Riviera...did not like the design at all, as I could see no deck where you didn't either have obstructed view from overhang (top decks) or were looking at people's heads below you.

The inside of the ship was quite nice, but the overall quality of the cruise was very poor. If you're used to Carnival or RCL, you might like it alot.

To answer the original question - just got off Ruby.

Riviera deck has large overhang and the decks below all look down onto people's heads as the decks are tiered out. The sea was a rumor up on Riviera...did not like the design at all, as I could see no deck where you didn't either have obstructed view from overhang (top decks) or were looking at people's heads below you.

The inside of the ship was quite nice, but the overall quality of the cruise was very poor. If you're used to Carnival or RCL, you might like it alot.

OK. You might as well tell us about the "poor quality."

OK. You might as well tell us about the "poor quality."

I agree, would like to hear what was such 'poor quality'

We spent the first 2 weeks onboard and sure it wasn't perfect but NO cruise I have ever been on has been - I think people expect way way way too much from a mass market line:rolleyes:

Sorry it took so long to respond. Your "past cruises" say it all. It's what your used to...I'm used to a more upscale "mass market"" cruise, i.e. Celebrity M Class. So for ME, it was poor quality. For someone else, it might be nirvana. Julia, I've been cruising for 30 years, I know what I can and cannot expect.

Now Celebrity is the same level Princess and HAL USED to be (very hard to keep up, I know) - so now NONE of them provide a high quality experience as of late 2008.

As yes, they used to. There are two crew members for every passenger, it's really not that hard. It's all about cutting quality for higher profits and changing their demographic to a different type of passenger.

Archived