First time NCL - mostly Sun questions

katondeck

I talked my in-laws into going on a cruise with us, so I am a little more nervous about making sure this one goes right. Just in case this matters, they are in a cabin type C and we are across the hall in an I, on January 15. I have made some assumptions from other postings and I just want to make sure I am right.

1. There is only 1 (optional) formal night? And on the Sun one dining room will be assigned as formal dress?

2. The Sun should be back to it's normal route by January, does she usually dock in Roatan or tender?

3. Are robes available if I ask for them? Princess and Carnival both provided them so I am hoping the NCL does the same - less to pack!

4. My in-laws are in their 60's in pretty good condition although my FIL has had a mild heart attack so slightly restricted (he is not going scuba diving!) Are there any tours on the western route that people would suggest? My Dh and I are water people and my MIL can not swim. I have suggested Talum to them but that is the only thing I have done that is not water related (except shopping for course).

5. With cabins across the hall are we likely to have the same room attendant? If I ask for things for them I want to make sure I am asking (and tipping) the right person.

6. If we go to eat around 6 it sounds like there should not be much of a wait on the Sun, the issues tend to be between 7-8?

7. My FIL has a small travel guitar, will NCL let him take an instrument on board?

I think that is it for now. You would think I had never cruised before! I just want to do everything I can to make sure my in-laws have a good vacation.

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=cruisin'kat]1. There is only 1 (optional) formal night? And on the Sun one dining room will be assigned as formal dress?

2. The Sun should be back to it's normal route by January, does she usually dock in Roatan or tender?

5. With cabins across the hall are we likely to have the same room attendant? If I ask for things for them I want to make sure I am asking (and tipping) the right person.[/QUOTE]Can I try these ones?

1. Correct - The Four Seasons (midships) was the designated formal dress restaurant. There was also one Caribbean deck party night, and one "50's and 70's" deck party night - in case you want to bring appropriate clothes for them, too.

2. The [I]Sun[/I] is I think actually back to her normal route already. She was to have called at Grand Cayman for the first time on Monday, and the Cayman Port Authority schedule (updated today) shows her calling every Monday for the rest of the month.

I don't know about normal operations in Roatan, but the dock only has space for one ship and this winter's schedule has her arriving in Roatan at 1100 on the same day each week as the [I]Sea[/I] arrives at 1200. We shared the dock by moving off after three hours to allow the [I]Sea[/I] to dock when she arrived, but we had arrived at Roatan much earlier than the normal itinerary plans (0800 instead of 1100).

5. Probably - My cabin stewards were looking after cabins on both sides of the corridor in our area. There was in fact a team of two working together.

The NCL Sea has priority for the dock in Roatan since this ship goes to this port year round - If you are there the same day as the Sea as mentioned - You will tender. I do not believe robes are available, but I could be wrong. You will have the same room attendents - they work in pairs. You should have no wait if you go to dinner at 6pm. Best excursions are swimming with the Sting Rays in Grand Caymen and Cave Tubing in Belize. You can book these tours with Cruise Value Center for quite a bit less than if you book through NCL.
In Roatan visit the West End Village - get 3 big lobster tails at Eagle Rays for $14.00 - This resturant sits out over the water. Where the ship docks in Roatan (Coxan Hole) is a dump - don't even bother looking around here - take a taxis - most of the island is very nice.

We went last January -- 1st cruise -- and my DH doesn't swim either. We were on the Sea, not the Sun, but at the ports that are the same, I would imagine the excursions would be similar. We went to Tulum, and also went to Altun Ha in Belize. Even though they are both ruins, they are very different, and we enjoyed seeing both sites.

With a disclaimer that the weather didn't permit us to actually go on the excursion, we booked the glass bottom boat or semi-submersible, or whatever it is that goes along with the Tabyana Beach party. That, theoretically, would have allowed the ones that wanted to snorkel the opportunity, while allowing us to still spend time together. Unfortunately, the weather that day didn't permit them to take us out, so I can't tell you if the excursion was actually any good.

We then went on the Sun to Alaska in June. She is a beautiful ship, and we're thinking of booking our next cruise on her for a Western Caribbean cruise. We never thought of asking for robes, so I don't know if they are available. I'm pretty sure our cabin stewards had the rooms across the hall from us, and I agree with Globalizer that they worked in a team.

As far as dining, we never had a wait. We went to dinner between 5:30 and 6:30 each evening, and never waited for a table (there were 4 of us too). We enjoyed the dining room food so well that we never ate at any of the alternative restaurants.

Archived