Rental Cars

fishman

My credit card has insurance for car rentals that include Mexico. Why is it necessary to buy the insurance for a one day rental in Cozumel? The cost of the vehicle is $40 and then another $50 for insurance. Do I need all three types of insurance? Thanks!

At best your credit card will reimburse you for all the costs that you will have to pay in cash before leaving the island. There are a number of places to rent vehicles which include insurance for around $50. Any U.S. coverage will be worthless until you return home.

Hi

I was asking myself the same question so I called Visa ...they said that they insure only the car we rent so we have to buy from the car rental a third party liability insurance in case we have an accident involving another car...but be sure to decline the CDW (Collision damage waiver) and the LDW (lost damage waiver) if we want to be insured by Visa. It's best to call your insurance..

I hope that helps....

There have been horror stories posted on CC about rental cars in Coz getting involved in accidents which is really quite easy considering the small island and multitude of vehicles. If you get involved in an accident, you will be required to pay for the damages to your car and perhaps the other car (highly likely) in cash before the authorities will release you. Yes, the police will be called by the Mexican that was involved. You may also be charged a fine paid in cash that seems to be arbitrary. It is amazing how the police will not be able to speak English and will give you papers to sign in Spanish of course. If you have seen how they drive, you may want to rethink renting a car. There is one road around the island. Do you really want to rent a car in Coz?

Archived