Stop What You're Doing!

mrtractor

Sending continued healing prayers for Steve and a powerful prayer for Avis from NC.

Jerry, I'll call Barb today. Her computer is out for repair right now. She may not be able to retrive your email address without it. I'll let you know. What part of town does your dear daughter live in? We are south of Charlotte. I would love to see you and Barb.

Diane

Wow Diane, if I recall correctly, if you go just a couple of miles south of Charlotte you fall into South Carolina. When you meet up with Jerry you might want to remind him of that. I hear he gets lost easily:D. Anyway, hello from those of us stuck in Northern Virginia eagerly awaiting the massive, 6 county traffic jam on Jan 20!:rolleyes: By the way, if you get ahold of Snorkling Barb, tell her we send our regards.

Gus and Debra

update on Avis.........Still in ICU, very sedated, on respirator still, not out of the woods by any means, I'm very worried about him, he has excellent nurses and doctors taking care of him. 2 of his cousins and their spouces came to visit today, and he opened his eyes when they came in the room and even seemed like he was raising his left hand as if he was waving to his cousin Becky. His sister and husband came this evening, so we've had a lot of company. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all your concerns, thoughts and prayers..................Patricia

Patricia has not had time to post but asked me to post an update here.

I talked to Patricia this morning. She said to tell you all that she apologizes for not being able to post. She leaves for the hospital early every morning and falls in bed when she get's home. Avis had the respirator taken out yesterday and is on a morphine drip for pain. He had an x-ray today but she didn't have the results yet. Hospice has not been called yet but will be soon. I wish with all my heart I could give a better report. Thoughts and prayers continued.

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all your support thru this long nightmare. Avis fought this battle for 4 long years almost exactly to the day that he got the first diagnosis of his melanoma. He did everything that the doctors and surgeons wanted him to do, had over 10 surgeries mainly at Johns Hopkins, underwent a year on Interferon injections, had brain radiation 35 treatments, neck radiation 28 or so treatments, had 2 brain radio radiation surgeries, 2 open brain surgeries at Hopkins, 2 rounds of chemo, but even when things were tough he kept going. since mid November what ever was growing aggressively inside just was too much for his body to handle. Even after the blood clot scare and several days in PT rehab at Christmas he was still hanging in there fighting and when he was taken from rehab to ER on News Years Eve he was still fighting, agreed to the ventilator. His doctors and nurses in ICU were wonderful and still kept trying things to help with the pneumonia, numerous antibiotic, even chest tubes to help drain off the fluid from his chest to make it easier for him to breathe when he came off the ventilator. The first 12 hours the chest tube drained 1800 cc and was still draining the last day. They gave him 2 units of blood on Sunday evening. His pulmonary doctor asked him on Monday morning if the need arose again would he accept another ventilator and he said no and I think he realized the battle was over and he even said no to hospice coming but that probably was going to have to happen and that was not a bad thing it was just something that was going to have to be done. So I look at it as he was still in charge and said no to the ventilator and no to hospice as he knew the battle with this awful cancer was over and he went ver peacefully and quietly on Tuesday morning at 7:30 with our son and daughter at his bedside.

His memorial service will be next Friday January 23 at 5:00 pm in Herndon, Virginia and a graveside service in our hometown of Waynesboro, Virginia on Saturday the 24th at 1:00pm and another service in the church where he grew up in Waynesboro, Va. His uncle and cousin both Presbyterian ministers will do the services for him and his cousins are singing and doing the music. A beautiful plan is coming together. I will miss him so much. We were married for 40 wonderful years, dated for 6 years..... so for 46 and a half years he has been my life. I'm trying to stay strong and get thru this and our children and family and all of our friends have been a wonderful support and help.

I think all of you for your prayers, thoughts, phone calls and e-mails. I love all of you.......hugs, Patricia

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all your support thru this long nightmare. Avis fought this battle for 4 long years almost exactly to the day that he got the first diagnosis of his melanoma. He did everything that the doctors and surgeons wanted him to do, had over 10 surgeries mainly at Johns Hopkins, underwent a year on Interferon injections, had brain radiation 35 treatments, neck radiation 28 or so treatments, had 2 brain radio radiation surgeries, 2 open brain surgeries at Hopkins, 2 rounds of chemo, but even when things were tough he kept going. since mid November what ever was growing aggressively inside just was too much for his body to handle. Even after the blood clot scare and several days in PT rehab at Christmas he was still hanging in there fighting and when he was taken from rehab to ER on News Years Eve he was still fighting, agreed to the ventilator. His doctors and nurses in ICU were wonderful and still kept trying things to help with the pneumonia, numerous antibiotic, even chest tubes to help drain off the fluid from his chest to make it easier for him to breathe when he came off the ventilator. The first 12 hours the chest tube drained 1800 cc and was still draining the last day. They gave him 2 units of blood on Sunday evening. His pulmonary doctor asked him on Monday morning if the need arose again would he accept another ventilator and he said no and I think he realized the battle was over and he even said no to hospice coming but that probably was going to have to happen and that was not a bad thing it was just something that was going to have to be done. So I look at it as he was still in charge and said no to the ventilator and no to hospice as he knew the battle with this awful cancer was over and he went ver peacefully and quietly on Tuesday morning at 7:30 with our son and daughter at his bedside.

His memorial service will be next Friday January 23 at 5:00 pm in Herndon, Virginia and a graveside service in our hometown of Waynesboro, Virginia on Saturday the 24th at 1:00pm and another service in the church where he grew up in Waynesboro, Va. His uncle and cousin both Presbyterian ministers will do the services for him and his cousins are singing and doing the music. A beautiful plan is coming together. I will miss him so much. We were married for 40 wonderful years, dated for 6 years..... so for 46 and a half years he has been my life. I'm trying to stay strong and get thru this and our children and family and all of our friends have been a wonderful support and help.

I think all of you for your prayers, thoughts, phone calls and e-mails. I love all of you.......hugs, Patricia

Patricia,,

I was so sad for you. I returned from my cruise and see that Avis had lost his battle. The only consolation is that you will see him again and it will seem like the twinkling of an eye. I am so sorry you have to go through this but am glad you were there with him during all his struggles. You did make it easier for him, even though I know it was terribly hard for you. Please know that I am praying for you and your family. Rest in God and let him give you the hugs that you will need through others in the coming days.

Ya better hurry, Diane. We'll be there this weekend! I told you it would be soon, didn't I? We'll also have our daughter and possibly our son in law with us. The daughter that lives in Charlotte will be working much of the time, so we'll be touring the area during the day. We'd love to have some advice from the locals!

I'd put my email address here, but that hasn't worked out so well in the past. I'll send an email to Barb, too, with my cell phone number. I think Lindsay lives on the south side of town, too, but I'm not sure since we've never been there!

MrTractor<----------just puts in the address on his GPS and drives.........:o.........

mrtractor,

Did Steve get the card? I didn't get it back in the mail so was just wondering. Let me know.

Dear Patricia:

I only know you through the CC boards but my heart hurts for you and my tears flow for you and your family. What a lucky woman you are to have had 46 years with your best friend. May your memories guide you through this difficult time. I am so sorry for your loss.

Gina

Archived