How Formal is Antartica Cruise?

campanet

We are planning on an Antartica cruise on Princess. How dressed do people get for dinner? How about formal nights? Do passengers wear tuxes?

KC

Last January on the Star Princess' Antarctic cruise, there were people dressed from a range of gowns and tuxes to still in smart casual on formal nights. Because of the dramatic range of temperatures during the cruise, and the requirement for bulky, heavy clothes, I think Princess was a bit more tolerant in interpreting the dress code for formal night.

That said, people generally did dress up, even if most didn't go all the way to what I consider full "formal" as you'd see on other sailings.

This would be a perfect cruise to rent a tux (to save space/weight in your luggage) and do more "informal" type formal wear on average. But if you love to dress more formally and cruises are your time to do so, you absolutely will not be the only ones onboard who do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week on Holland America, MS Amsterdam, I felt really out of place in a Tux as most passengers were in Business suits or sport coat & slacks, with and without ties. Lots of open collars and plenty of rubber shoes on formal nights both in the dining room and at the Pinnacle.

Still worth it to take the tux, though

Archived