First time snorkelers

djkk

My family of four newbies is going to the eastern caribbean on NOS 11/20. We will be snorkeling on our own offshore. Should we bring our own fins with us? We have our own masks and snorkels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

[quote name='djkk']My family of four newbies is going to the eastern caribbean on NOS 11/20. We will be snorkeling on our own offshore. Should we bring our own fins with us? We have our own masks and snorkels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)[/QUOTE]
If you can fit them in your luggage, I would bring them .... it's always more comfortable having your own equipment, and if you visit several islands, it ends up saving $$$ not having to rent fins everywhere.

Screagan,
My fins require the use of dive boots as well, and I won't dive with out them. My recoomendation: Take Both the boots and the fins - if you can get them in your luggage.

BTW, When my Wife and I cruise, my dive gear is packed separately and I carry it on, so I know how it is handled.

Roger

[quote name='roger1955']Screagan,
My fins require the use of dive boots as well, and I won't dive with out them. My recoomendation: Take Both the boots and the fins - if you can get them in your luggage.

BTW, When my Wife and I cruise, my dive gear is packed separately and I carry it on, so I know how it is handled.

Roger[/QUOTE]
Are the fins that require dive boots "better?"

BTW, I havn't used my snorkling mask in about 6 years. Well, it has been used in our pool a couple of times here and there over the years... Anyways, my mask has turned a yellowish, orange color! Is this due to chlorine or just the air? Its pretty ugly now, but I do not want to spend another 50 - 100 dollars on a mask - so, I can live with the new color; but will this impact the way the seal holds?

Screagan,
To answer whether the boot-style fins are better or not - It really is a matter of preference. I find that the fins are more comfortable with the boots, and living in the Long Island, New York area - almost all the diving locally is mostly done with a 3mil or better suit, so boots are must as well. I don't find the boots to be a big deal when traveling - so I take them along. Even my DH, who HATES the water - but likes to snorkel when we go on our cruises uses fins that have boots.

I also presume that your reference to the yellowish-orange color from your mask is about the mask itself as opposed to the glass. This is simply aging of the rubber booting around the glass and is not a problem. Since you make a reference to chlorine and I am guessing that you use the mask in a cholorinated pool - yes the discoloartion is most likely due to the chlorine compounds in the water and for the most part will not affect the performance of the mask.

I have a friend whose mask is well over 15 years old and works fine, so unless you have other reasons for replacing it, just go ahead and use it.

If you are really concerned, and you have a dive shop in your area, you could always take your question to them and see what they say. One note of caution, the shop should be one that you, or a friend, have regular dealings with, so they don't try to fleece you into buying a new one - when it's not necessary.

Happy snorkling!
Roger

[quote name='djkk']My family of four newbies is going to the eastern caribbean on NOS 11/20. We will be snorkeling on our own offshore. Should we bring our own fins with us? We have our own masks and snorkels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)[/QUOTE]
If you aren't experienced snorkelers, you should have fins for safety. Coming back to the beach past the surf could be difficult without the added power of fins. The cheapest fins will do. Reading the posts here, I'm appolled how much money people spend on snorkel equipment for a sport they haven't even tried!

Archived