mini birth certificate

mtebor

The County I am in now offers a 'mini birth certificate' which is a wallet size document that contains

1. Birth Certificate

2. Picture ID

3. Fingerprint

Total cost is $25....much cheaper than a passport

Does anyone know if this is an authorized ID for customs. Being so new I am wondering if this is being used elsewhere.

It depends on where you are traveling to, but on all 3 of my cruises (Bahamas and Alaska) I have used the "mini" birth certificate that my state issues (IN). It does not have a picture or finger print, but it does have a state seal that changes color. This along with your DL should be good enough for "most" cruise destinations. To be sure contact RCI customer service, they will tell you if it will suffice.

I agree with MadCtny... we were told as long as there is an "official" seal, that it would work. We chose to get our passports when Barbados decided to start requiring them. We were to be on a March sailing this year and they had not confirmed that cruise ship passengers would be treated differently. After we ordered our passports it was finally announced that we would not need them. In the end, I'm glad we went ahead with the passports. Now we're free to travel even more. :) Again, check with RCCL to be sure...or the customs website.

MadCtny

Glad to see you on here...we pass through Pendleton regularly going to BSU from Columbus (our daughter is a sophomore there)

My wife and I currently have passports but I have a hard time paying approx $85 for our young daughter to get a passport that is only good for five years.

We are currently taking here Birth Certificate but thought this might be better.

Thanks for the input.

...I think, to purchase a "mini birth certificate." If you can get by with a birth certificate and state issued ID--and you don't want to spend the money for a passport, why waste additional resources for the Mini? As I remember, a birth certificate costs @ $5.00--I would not spend an extra $20.00 for additional ID that I already possessed. I think a passport is a good investment. But if a passport is not absolutely necessary for your travels, I don't think spending additional monies for something that is not equivalent to a passport is a wise investment.

My son has one and just the other week I took it and a regular birth cert. to the driver liecnes place. (getting his learners)The officer told me it WAS a legal doc. and could be used as anyother birth cert.

Should have legal doc on the card.

Ours in from FL.

mtebor,

Do you know if they have this for all of NY?I'm near Syracuse and I really like the idea.Easy to fit in a wallet and have it all the time.

Not sure if this is available state wide. The county told my wife that this was only available for people born in the city of Buffalo....luckily our daughter was.

Because we are on the Canadian Border, we thought this might be more advantageous thans carrying a BC and cheaper than a Passport

FYI cost for a Birth Certificate is $10 in my area

good sailing!!

Archived