I can't decide. . which hotel would you

bsouza

book:

Hampton Inn - Blue Lagoon

or

Best Western On the Bay

We will be staying one night - precruise - 2/7. . . we're on the Valor

Both are about $179 plus tax - Best Western would include shuttle to the port.

How about location of each. It's so hard when you don't know the area/

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

These are two that I was considering too so also interested in opinions. Our October rate for the BW is a bit cheaper than Hampton suites....I have called the BW to confirm but it sounds like there are less last minutes shopping options near the BW than Hampton Suites. Would love to hear some feedback.

We stayed at the Best Western on the Bay last June. The hotel is OK, very basic. There isn't really anything within walking distance except a few restaurants. Next time we cruise out of Miami I think we will stay somewhere else, like near the beach and fun spots.

Hi cruisinRN - does that mean that there is NOT a Giant Supermarket nearby? Google shows there is, but I haven't called the hotel to confirm....

Thanks!

We've booked this hotel for the night before our cruise. I don't think we'll rent a car for just one day, but we need some last minute items to take onboard. Is there something like a Walmart or another discount type store nearby? A large full service grocery store would probably be ok too. I always like to take a new pillow onboard so I would need a larger grocery store that carries lots of non-grocery items.

We are booked for the Best Western on the Bay, I chose this one because it has the shuttle to port. I looked on Hampton Inn website & it looks they only have shuttle to & from airport. So transportation to port would be extra expense. Best Western on Bay was recommended by other CC members on a few other threads I read. We'll be going in less than 2 weeks, I'd be happy to report back to you!

We are booked for the Best Western on the Bay, I chose this one because it has the shuttle to port. I looked on Hampton Inn website & it looks they only have shuttle to & from airport. So transportation to port would be extra expense. Best Western on Bay was recommended by other CC members on a few other threads I read. We'll be going in less than 2 weeks, I'd be happy to report back to you!

Did you book the cruise package? When I called the BW I was told that they have complimentary airport shuttle, but that I'd need to take a taxi to the port.

They also stated that there was a local bus that could be caught across the street for shopping.

We booked the Port of Miami Cruise Package - $180 with tax. I booked it directly through the Best Western website. I did see that there is a bus line on the Causeway. There is a restaurant on-site too.

Thanks a lot:)

If you get a moment, I hope you're able to post back here upon your return.

Have a great cruise.

We stayed at Best Western on the Bay two years ago. We found it to be pretty old and tired. We were in the motel part with a biker bar directly below. The views are awesome out on the bay, but this is a long way from the Port and we took a taxi there. There is a seafood place just down the street where we ate outdoors with beautiful views and good food.

As someone else said, BW's can be unpredictable. We always stick with Hilton (Hampton) properties for the points (will be spending several days in Key West after our February cruise for free:D ).

The Hampton Blue Lagoon gets great reviews at TripAdvisor but we haven't stayed there. We've stayed the past couple times in Miami at the Hampton Doral. They have an airport shuttle but you'd need a cab to the port the next day. There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance. They also grill a great burger at the hotel tiki bar:)

If you want to splurge, stay at the Intercontinental near the port. It's a beautiful hotel and if you get a water view room you'll see your ship from the window in the morning!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back!!

So here is the scoop on the Best Western on the Bay. The Best Western does not disappoint! The shuttle service worked out great for us, we called as soon as we got our luggage and they came right away to get us. The staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are VERY clean & spacious (had a fridge, microwave, coffee pot). The continental breakfast was good. We had booked the cruise package, so when we checked in they signed us up for the noon shuttle (that is the earliest one). We had a full van going to the port, 1 couple going on Oceania, us on RCL & the rest on Carnival. It worked out great. Traffic going to the port is bad, no matter what form of transportation you are in. We did not make it to Shuckers (downstairs restaurant), it's open to the outside so very smokey!! If you are a smoker...great hangout...if not, you'll probably want to go somewhere else. If I would definitely stay here again, you can't beat the price!!

As for the location, even though it's in the middle of the Bay, there was plenty within walking distance for whatever you might need. There is a Food Giant grocery store & pharmacy right next to that. A Hess gas station with Blimpies & Dunkin' Donuts. Places to eat that hotel employee pointed out on way were Mario the Baker (Great pizza), Benihana (Japanese), Oggi (Italian), Edy's Chicken & Steak and The Crab House (seafood). We ended up eating at The Crab House, it had ups & downs. The restaurant was 3/4th empty, but we had to wait for table. They didn't have enough servers for amount of customers coming in. The menu was large, but pricey (not surprising in Miami), the food was great, but service was slow. Bathrooms could have been cleaner & watch out for dirty silverware wrapped in the cloth napkins!

32926407_BahamasCruiseJan2009015.jpg.e098df3f3ac55f86aa7f3b75c73b4548.jpg

892136818_BahamasCruiseJan2009029.jpg.71196231a4e80c9f385f604567da6678.jpg

1219075464_BahamasCruiseJan2009048.jpg.b0a10e92cb3c419f3b6574ee10251d6d.jpg

I'm back!!

So here is the scoop on the Best Western on the Bay. The Best Western does not disappoint! The shuttle service worked out great for us, we called as soon as we got our luggage and they came right away to get us. The staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are VERY clean & spacious (had a fridge, microwave, coffee pot). The continental breakfast was good. We had booked the cruise package, so when we checked in they signed us up for the noon shuttle (that is the earliest one). We had a full van going to the port, 1 couple going on Oceania, us on RCL & the rest on Carnival. It worked out great. Traffic going to the port is bad, no matter what form of transportation you are in. We did not make it to Shuckers (downstairs restaurant), it's open to the outside so very smokey!! If you are a smoker...great hangout...if not, you'll probably want to go somewhere else. If I would definitely stay here again, you can't beat the price!!

As for the location, even though it's in the middle of the Bay, there was plenty within walking distance for whatever you might need. There is a Food Giant grocery store & pharmacy right next to that. A Hess gas station with Blimpies & Dunkin' Donuts. Places to eat that hotel employee pointed out on way were Mario the Baker (Great pizza), Benihana (Japanese), Oggi (Italian), Edy's Chicken & Steak and The Crab House (seafood). We ended up eating at The Crab House, it had ups & downs. The restaurant was 3/4th empty, but we had to wait for table. They didn't have enough servers for amount of customers coming in. The menu was large, but pricey (not surprising in Miami), the food was great, but service was slow. Bathrooms could have been cleaner & watch out for dirty silverware wrapped in the cloth napkins!

Thanks so mucch for this review!!! we are staying at the BW on Jan 22 pre cruise and your review puts my mind at ease..... one thing, do you know if the hotel leaves you park a car there during the crusie? why I am asking is that some of the people are driving to to the hotel and they were worried about driving to the port and parking? IS the port parking easy to find?

Penny

I'm not sure about people driving to the hotel, it would be best to call them & ask. I don't know if they pick people up from the port, I think they just drop off. I did see the parking deck at the port, long line, but it was there. Traffic in that area gets very congested, we must have sat through 5 or 6 lights on Biscayne Blvd. before the shuttle was finally able to pull in.

Here is link to the Port of Miami parking info:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

I'm not sure about people driving to the hotel, it would be best to call them & ask. I don't know if they pick people up from the port, I think they just drop off. I did see the parking deck at the port, long line, but it was there. Traffic in that area gets very congested, we must have sat through 5 or 6 lights on Biscayne Blvd. before the shuttle was finally able to pull in.

Here is link to the Port of Miami parking info:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/directions_parking.asp

Thanks for the info.....Did I read somewhere that you left the hotel around 12 noon, we were thinking about leaving the hotel around 10-10:30 to try to beat some of the traffic ?

Penny

You'd need to take a cab if you want to go that early, the 1st shuttle to the port was at 12pm. In that case, I wouldn't book the cruise package, just a room.

I have my parents in my favor, they live in florida and are driving down

thanks again

Thursday needs to come soon

Penny

Archived