Beware of Taxi dispatchers at Port Everglades

PantherFan

We walked off the Independence this am, it was slow and could of been better. However, from what we had heard about slow departures we thought we were lucky to be at airport by 8:30am.

Anyway, as we were walking to the taxi area less than a minute from customs, a man came up and asked if we wanted a taxi, (we thought he was the driver) so we went with him and he loaded us up in a taxi and then he holds out his hand and actually says "gimme, gimme". UNBELIEVABLE!

We are capable of getting our own taxi...with a number of men wearing sheriff uniforms at the pier why are the taxi dispatchers allowed to be mini con artists? We were also charged $20. by the driver which we felt was also a rip off since it only cost us $15. to get there last week.

Please be careful

We had the same thing happen to us!!! We were going to the airport to pick up our rental car and the same thing happen. He unfortunately did not get a tip cause my husband had no change!! Unbelievable!!! We also found the taxi drivers to pretend not to know if you are going to the Ft. Lauderdale pier or the Miami pier. We told our taxi driver which pier and ship and the on the highway pretended he did not know. He also we noticed, missed the first exit to the pier and took a second one which we thought was longer!!! Why do people feel they can exploit tourists?? We all work hard for our vacations, granted we get to take one, but I will tip you fairly if you treat me with respect.

macwoman

Always get a slip with the price on it,from the taxi co-ordinator,i would have told him a few things,and then gone to report him,sorry this happened to you,just double check next time:cool:

This was the Taxi Co-ordinator. He was wearing a yellow jacket with "Taxi Dispatcher" on it and was one of many outside the terminal directing people to the cabs.

We walked off the Independence this am, it was slow and could of been better. However, from what we had heard about slow departures we thought we were lucky to be at airport by 8:30am.

Anyway, as we were walking to the taxi area less than a minute from customs, a man came up and asked if we wanted a taxi, (we thought he was the driver) so we went with him and he loaded us up in a taxi and then he holds out his hand and actually says "gimme, gimme". UNBELIEVABLE!

We are capable of getting our own taxi...with a number of men wearing sheriff uniforms at the pier why are the taxi dispatchers allowed to be mini con artists? We were also charged $20. by the driver which we felt was also a rip off since it only cost us $15. to get there last week.

Please be careful

Same thing happened to us at this same pier leaving the Independence in November....only for us the guy was a total jerk! He waves us over to the taxi and puts our bags in the trunk...we assumed he was the driver...and we are getting in the back seat he says " thanks a lot man for no tip aint like you got no money!" we were not only angry and embarrassed but mortified! We always tip and tip well! When DH apologized to the guy and told him we thought he was the driver he said " so what??? no tip? man I gotta make a living too" DH only had 20's but the guy of course let us know he had plenty of change. It all happened so fast once we got in the taxi and drove off we both were like " what the hell was that?" I'm all for tipping, but seriously, I can find my own taxi and put my bags in the trunk if the driver doesn't do it

Please be careful

What time did they start letting you off the ship? I heard it was much later than 7:30/8:00. If I can get to the airport by 8:30 a.m. this february, I will be very happy.....I am debating on whether to pay to change our flights until later. In Miami, we could always get to the airport before 8:00 a.m. with using the express debarkation.

We just got home from the 12/21 Indy cruise and got off the ship at 9am, and got to the airport by 9:20. We happened to get outside as the taxis were returning from their first drop offs. The BIG problem was how long it took us to get thru check -in and security at the airport. I don't know if it was a Northwest problem or the airport, but it took us over 2 hours to get thru both areas to get to the airline gates. The gentleman who helped us with our bags going thru customs, took us right to a taxi, so we had no problems like the OP.

What time did they start letting you off the ship? I heard it was much later than 7:30/8:00. If I can get to the airport by 8:30 a.m. this february, I will be very happy.....I am debating on whether to pay to change our flights until later. In Miami, we could always get to the airport before 8:00 a.m. with using the express debarkation.

Maggieq,

If you are not the one of the first people off you probably don't want get a flight until at least 11:30. As Mr Zoey said, the airport at FLL gets extremely busy with all the ships in both Miami and FLL. They did not start to let people off until 7:50 am

Maggieq,

If you are not the one of the first people off you probably don't want get a flight until at least 11:30. As Mr Zoey said, the airport at FLL gets extremely busy with all the ships in both Miami and FLL. They did not start to let people off until 7:50 am

Thanks. I just changed our flight time. I am kicking myself for not asking about the debarkation time at FLL prior to booking our original flights. I just assumed it would be as easy and as early as MIA.

We just got home from the 12/21 Indy cruise and got off the ship at 9am, and got to the airport by 9:20. We happened to get outside as the taxis were returning from their first drop offs. The BIG problem was how long it took us to get thru check -in and security at the airport. I don't know if it was a Northwest problem or the airport, but it took us over 2 hours to get thru both areas to get to the airline gates. The gentleman who helped us with our bags going thru customs, took us right to a taxi, so we had no problems like the OP.

Hate to say it but this is a very common problem at FLL. Wait until Oasis starts up!. Our experience shows that if you get there real early (8-9)or a little later 12:30-2:30) you miss the jam at the ticket counters and security. We also waited over 1 hr to get through USAIR and then another 30 min for security on a Sunday last year. We had some friends who arrived at the airport around 1pm and said there was no lines!

Mike

Previous years at FLL seemed to be much less hectic, but we were on Millenium, not nearly as big as NOS. But in hindsight this way makes sense given the number of people getting cabs. Rather than have the driver get out to load the luggage into the cab, there is a guy there who does it for him. Seems like they can get people going more quickly this way. Its just that we didn't expect it. Just plan your tips accordingly.

they do have Solistice to handle also, and you are right, when Oasis shows up, it wil get worse.

Archived