Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

Morning all!! I just heard from Bobbie, and it turns out that they think that her Dad suffered from heat stroke. Apparently, yesterday was hot and humid in Salvador De Bahia, and her Dad does not drink enough water, and because of everything going on........was dehydrated.

He is doing much better today..........and is still planning on going the the Falls. He sends his thanks to everyone that was thinking of him.

Today is the last sea day of leg one of this wonderful journey. Tomorrow is Rio.........for an overnighter.

Rick

Thanks goodness thats all it was and he is better today. :)

I know they will be keeping an eye on him and making sure he drinks plenty of water! ;)

I also dehydrate quickly and had a slight heat stroke years ago in San Juan, .....now I use a over the shoulder water bottle I take everywhere when we cruise. Its been a life saver for me.

Paul, thanks again for your updates and info - much appreciated - keep them coming!

Rick, sounds like good news regarding Bobbie's father. Nothing scarier than having any health issues so far away from home. Good lesson here -everyone should keep up with water intake at all times regardless where you are, and especially if one is partaking in adult beverages:D.

Great update Paul!!

Bobbie and her parents went on the 4 hour "Highlights of Salvador" tour, and apparently her dad had maybe a mini stroke near the end of the tour. Bobbie said that it took 4 people to keep him upright. Apparently quite a scare for her. I hopefully will know more tomorrow. I do know that he is cancelling his ticket to Iguazu Falls, and will be just staying onboard. Both of Bobbies parents have spend a great deal of time in Rio......so they will just be staying onboard.

Hopefully they do not have to get off for the reboarding process. I know that the ship will take good care of them.

Royal Caribbean now show the ship being "sold out". I question whether there will be 1700 South Americans come aboard........but I'm sure Paul will tell us come Monday evening.

Bobbie is finally getting over her cold. She said that she stayed in her cabin for a couple of days............and that she has not felt that bad in years.

I will be able to talk to her on Monday.........so I can get a better grasp on how everyone is doing!!:)

Rick

OMG. I hope Bobbie's Dad is oaky after having another TIA.

My mother (age 89) just fell in her nursing home and had another TIA. So scary. Hope he is well.

Morning all!! I just heard from Bobbie, and it turns out that they think that her Dad suffered from heat stroke. Apparently, yesterday was hot and humid in Salvador De Bahia, and her Dad does not drink enough water, and because of everything going on........was dehydrated.

He is doing much better today..........and is still planning on going the the Falls. He sends his thanks to everyone that was thinking of him.

Today is the last sea day of leg one of this wonderful journey. Tomorrow is Rio.........for an overnighter.

Rick

Thank goodness he is okay. :)

I don't know the man who might have had a stroke, but I'll say a prayer for him tonight and hope he's okay. Keep us folks that are reading along informed. Thanks.

My hubby said that Rio wouldn't be a very clean place and I guess he was right. Such ashame that they couldn't make the best of ships coming in and make things cleaner. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone who is not feeling well on the ship gets better or gets some DRUGS to help get better. There's still a long way to go!!

I think the ships carry realy "big gun" drugs.

I had a migraine on one ship and left my drugs home. They prescribed Imitrex, that I needed, and Oxycotin to relieve stress. :)

That was one great trip.

Thank goodness I was not a teenager but a senior who knew how to handle it. :)

It's OK Rick, I know how you feel...the last 7 days have been very hard for me and I still have 7 more to go before I see that lovely white profile moored alongside, begging me to board, which I will...and it'll feel soooooooooo good!

Karen,

Can you explain your Avatar and your screen name? :confused:

I love animals and am fascinated. :):):)

I love the picture of the wolf and wish I could have one. :)

Rick

Thank goodness it was just a heat stroke.

Love to you and Bobbie. :):):)

Char......send me a note to rubrrickaz at yahoo dot com

That way we can keep this thread to Mariner news!!

Rick

Char,

Have you cruised with Rick and Bobbie? You will love them as we do.

Please keep in touch.

We miss you guys.

Rick & Bobbie, Char and the Bobster are the best!

Hey all how are you doing?

Hope the ones on Mariner are having an awesome trip and those at home like me....well....not cruising but enjoying the 3 day weeken:)

I was reading about Salvador an the smell and everything and I feel sorry for those who didn't have a good time....I'm from Sao Paulo, Brazil and only have been to the airport in Salvador a few times we went to the Resorts located 1 hour from the city(those are good ones to stay like Marriot, Renaissance, and Iberostar:cool:) so I don't know the city.....Unfortunately the brazilian govt. still don't know one of our better ways to be a better country without violence and poverty is the tourism and without knowing that they don't refurbish terminals, put some structure in front of terminals, or make it smells good.....

THE POLITICIANS JUST STEAL MONEY FROM THE ONES LIKE MY PARENTS WHO PAY THE HIGHEST TAXES IN THE WORLD:mad:

Well....I'd like to say sorry like thousands of brazilians would do and hope Rio will be better since most of the ships stop there(Salvador started to be an active cruise ship port in 2007 and only a few ships stop there so let's hope Rio which is stop for all the ships will be better.....sorry one more time guys and enjoy your cruise....post some pictures of Mariner in Brazil as soon as you can:)

RicardoC The problems seemed to be just around the dock area as folks that went on tours said the city was very nice and liked the cobblestone streets.

Well good to hear people enjoyed the city but I think its important to apologize about our ports structure because I've done 2 cruises in Brazil, 7 in the Caribbean, and 1 in Europe and the ports in the Caribbean and Europe are ready to receive cruise ships with organization and fast operation while the ones in Brazil have nothing to receive cruise ships and still receive each year more and more ships getting sometimes to 7 ships in the same day! I was there in Santos in Feb 2007 and the crowds and disorganization took us 3 hours to board the ship....I hope they build new terminals like the one they have a project in Rio because companies like RCI are starting to send bigger ships like the Mariner and the Radiance together with theSplendour that is already part of the Brazilian cruise history :)

Karen,

Can you explain your Avatar and your screen name? I love animals and am fascinated. I love the picture of the wolf and wish I could have one.

rednancy1 - email me at wolfcathorse at hotmail dot com. It may take me a while to respond as I leave Wednesday for 7 days on Navigator

Hey all how are you doing?

Hope the ones on Mariner are having an awesome trip and those at home like me....well....not cruising but enjoying the 3 day weeken:)

I was reading about Salvador an the smell and everything and I feel sorry for those who didn't have a good time....I'm from Sao Paulo, Brazil and only have been to the airport in Salvador a few times we went to the Resorts located 1 hour from the city(those are good ones to stay like Marriot, Renaissance, and Iberostar:cool:) so I don't know the city.....Unfortunately the brazilian govt. still don't know one of our better ways to be a better country without violence and poverty is the tourism and without knowing that they don't refurbish terminals, put some structure in front of terminals, or make it smells good.....

THE POLITICIANS JUST STEAL MONEY FROM THE ONES LIKE MY PARENTS WHO PAY THE HIGHEST TAXES IN THE WORLD:mad:

Well....I'd like to say sorry like thousands of brazilians would do and hope Rio will be better since most of the ships stop there(Salvador started to be an active cruise ship port in 2007 and only a few ships stop there so let's hope Rio which is stop for all the ships will be better.....sorry one more time guys and enjoy your cruise....post some pictures of Mariner in Brazil as soon as you can:)

Ricardo, We were in Salvador last April and we enjoyed a very nice tour up in the old town. Lot's of history there.

Rick

Rick, so glad to hear that your FIL is doing better and that it was just heat stroke. I remember when we were there last March it was extremely hot and they encouraged all of us to take in as much fluids as we could tolerate. They even encouraged taking bottled water with us on excursions.

It's going to be even warmer in Rio...............so I do hope that he drinks plenty of fluids.

Please extend our best wish to your whole family. Sorry to hear that Bobbie has a cold..............but hopefully she will be back to normal quickly.

Tell her to get some Vicks Vapo Rub and slather it on the bottoms of her feet and then put socks on. It really works.:D

Tell her to get some Vicks Vapo Rub and slather it on the bottoms of her feet and then put socks on. It really works.:D

Hi Patti......and Jim!!

I will pass on the remedy........I have heard of this before......and if you swear by it........it must work. I'm sure the ships store has Vicks Vapo Rub.

I hope that someday that we can cruise together. I always enjoy your words of wisdom!!:)

Rick

Hello glgolfer.... Hope you are really having a good time. We are following your trip daily and enjoy the postings. We are friends of Patrick and Daryl and Ivan and Roger. Tell them Hi and send them our best for the rest of the trip if you see them.

Keep up the good work with the postings! We appreciate it!

Hello to all you RIO cruisers.

Great Satellite pictures of the Rio port area on that website I gave all of you that starts with SEA....... er.

Go look at the area.

Paul: Hope you have some interesting reports from this port for us.

How many hours difference is it from here in Michigan?? Please use regular hours not Millitary!! Thanks.

Hello to all you RIO cruisers.

Great Satellite pictures of the Rio port area on that website I gave all of you that starts with SEA....... er.

Go look at the area.

Paul: Hope you have some interesting reports from this port for us.

How many hours difference is it from here in Michigan?? Please use regular hours not Millitary!! Thanks.

this should help answer your time question http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=213

Hmm. Sounds like my house with my 3 boy cats.:eek: Best not come visit me!

Jean

Yesterday I made a feta cheese pie in phillo dough with lots of greek spices. Add that to the smell of two golden retrievers and I almost fainted. :eek: Man, what a fragrence! :eek::cool:

Well.............if all is going according to plan.........the lines have been cast away.........and the Mariner of the Seas is starting to pull away from the dock, with new passengers aboard.......at Rio.

I'm sure that there are some good sailaway parties going on as I write this. A toast to the start of the 2nd leg of this historic voyage around the horn.:)

Rick

Archived