Explorer of the Seas vs. Norwegian Gem

chelseaguy

Planning a February cruise from NY. Anyone have any thoughts re the"gay friendliness" of these two ships?

Many thanks!

I've sailed aboard both ships and would say that the gay friendliness of both lines is good. NCL publishes gatherings in the daily schedule & RCI posts them on the activities board. Based on my experience and that of those posting on this board, you shouldn't have any issues on either ship. Happy sailing. :)

Thanks so much, Jack. That being the case, do you have a preference of one ship over the other. We had a great time and met great people in January and in 2007 on the Noordam and on the QM2 in 2006. Wonder about the size of the Explorer and the

freestyle dining on the Gem.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Bill

Having never been on NCL, I can't really speak to the Gem - but I am pretty sure that is one of their newer ships. It seems like it would be a great ship to travel on! As for the Explorer, we have been on her two times and coming up on a third in February. She is getting up there in the years, but from what I understand is still pretty well maintained. I guess we will find out next month. :) If you have never given RCCL a try, I would say you should check it out. The Explorer (even for its age) is very innovative and pretty well equiped with things to keep you busy. We have never had a problem with the people and on one of our Explorer cruises out of Bayonne, met two sets of our best friends! The only downside to RCCL is they definitely cater to the masses, so if you are looking for the personal touch or step up in service you might have gotten on Cunard - I don't think you will find that.

Josh

Josh gives good advice. From these boards, Royal Caribbean seems to make many people happier than NCL. The 'nickel & dime' effect is always mentioned with NCL and you usually spend more money with the optional dining with NCL once onboard. Freestyle Dining gives you great options and is well worth the surcharges IMO. As Josh mentioned RCI tends to cater to the masses, as does NCL. I liked the Gem for the large aft outdoor section of the buffet restaurant, the superior 24-hour gym, and the great crew. The Explorer was good because of the Jade section of the buffet, 24-hour Royal Cafe coffee & snacks, and Viking Crown lounge. Balcony, outside, & inside Cabins on the Explorer are a bit larger than comparable categories on the Gem. The Gem and the Explorer seemed much larger than the Vista ships of Holland America, but, that opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of comparisions. I'm a big fan of HAL, but, really enjoy RCI and NCL. Happy sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived