price drops/refunds

jmezmom

I am going on Princess for the first time after many years with RC.

Does Princess offer price drops if my catagory goes down?

Any info is appreciated!

Princess does offer price drops on certain cruises in select categories. As has previously been stated, they will only do this prior to final payment and it is not automatic, you must contact them or your TA if there is a price reduction. The following thread discusses recent price reductions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=892530

I have read the above information on many posts, but we had an experience that doesn't follow the usual advice. We booked our cruise within the 90 day period so we paid the entire amount. Two weeks later the prices were lower so our TA contacted them, and they refunded $252 to our credit card. About two weeks after that we received one of those random upgrades from an OV to a balcony...our TZ didn't even know about it until we saw it on the Princess site. Then came the fuel supplement OBC, and now I see on the site that we have received an OBC of $102 for lower taxes and fees. All of this has occured since the final payment. In otherwords, I don't think they are consistent in what they do, but I'll certainly accept all of this.

I have read the above information on many posts, but we had an experience that doesn't follow the usual advice. We booked our cruise within the 90 day period so we paid the entire amount. Two weeks later the prices were lower so our TA contacted them, and they refunded $252 to our credit card. About two weeks after that we received one of those random upgrades from an OV to a balcony...our TZ didn't even know about it until we saw it on the Princess site. Then came the fuel supplement OBC, and now I see on the site that we have received an OBC of $102 for lower taxes and fees. All of this has occured since the final payment. In otherwords, I don't think they are consistent in what they do, but I'll certainly accept all of this.

Did you use an online TA? The price of the online site I used was much lower than the Princess website. We were allowed to cancel and rebook after final payment when the rate dropped. We originally booked an obstructed OV but was upgraded to the full OV. Price dropped to the point that for a few hundred I could book an aft CAT BB balcony. I would recommend keep trying and DON'T take the fist NO that you get. Having a good TA that will take the time is the key.

Did you use an online TA? The price of the online site I used was much lower than the Princess website. We were allowed to cancel and rebook after final payment when the rate dropped. We originally booked an obstructed OV but was upgraded to the full OV. Price dropped to the point that for a few hundred I could book an aft CAT BB balcony. I would recommend keep trying and DON'T take the fist NO that you get. Having a good TA that will take the time is the key.

Wow! Lucky you! Most TA's will only work to lower prices if it is before the final payment. It makes perfect sense to cancel the cruise and rebook and we have been tempted a couple of times, but thought there would be a large penalty to do so. Having a good TA is the key!

I did not see which cruise you are going on; but was it a 90 or 75 day final payment due date?

I did not see which cruise you are going on; but was it a 90 or 75 day final payment due date?

Final payment is usually due 75 days prior, so if she got changed 2 weeks after 90 day payment, that would only be 76 days and could have very well fallen into that tiny little space of not yet being in penalty mode.

Final payment is usually due 75 days prior, so if she got changed 2 weeks after 90 day payment, that would only be 76 days and could have very well fallen into that tiny little space of not yet being in penalty mode.

Exactly, many TAs have a "final payment date" which is earlier than the cruise lines to ensure the payments are taken care of in time before penalty kicks in and cancellation could be at risk.

Not to mention if there was a drop of several hundred dollars, the penalty at 75 days is only the deposit amount. There are times when it is worth cancelling, incurring the penalty, and rebooking at the lower rate. You wouldn't get all the reduction because of the penalties, but if it saves you, it saves you.

We booked 55 days before the cruise (Star in South America) as we decided that late that we wanted to go. I truly do not know why we were so fortunate. We did use our local TA so maybe that made a difference. If their purpose is to encourage us to sail Princess for future cruises, they have succeeded.

We booked 55 days before the cruise (Star in South America) as we decided that late that we wanted to go. I truly do not know why we were so fortunate. We did use our local TA so maybe that made a difference. If their purpose is to encourage us to sail Princess for future cruises, they have succeeded.

Very rare for this to occur. There must have been a price drop that wasn't a flash promotion for new bookings only. It really doesn't happen very often, you got very lucky.

Exactly, many TAs have a "final payment date" which is earlier than the cruise lines to ensure the payments are taken care of in time before penalty kicks in and cancellation could be at risk.

Not to mention if there was a drop of several hundred dollars, the penalty at 75 days is only the deposit amount. There are times when it is worth cancelling, incurring the penalty, and rebooking at the lower rate. You wouldn't get all the reduction because of the penalties, but if it saves you, it saves you.

Why does the TAs final payment date have to be 90 days prior when the cruiselines is 75 days prior to sailing?

Since your TA usually accepts credit card payments and the $ shld go directly to the cruiselines (not into their own accts) and that happens within hrs since it is automatic usually & even if u pay by cheque they usually clr within a few days, why do they need 15 extra days over the normal 75 days to do it?

Seems to 'moi' a week wld be quite sufficient time but perhaps u know something I don't!

Have happy cruisin'!

Why does the TAs final payment date have to be 90 days prior when the cruiselines is 75 days prior to sailing?

Since your TA usually accepts credit card payments and the $ shld go directly to the cruiselines (not into their own accts) and that happens within hrs since it is automatic usually & even if u pay by cheque they usually clr within a few days, why do they need 15 extra days over the normal 75 days to do it?

Seems to 'moi' a week wld be quite sufficient time but perhaps u know something I don't!

Have happy cruisin'!

Because sometimes clients are unreachable for a number of days, or they'd prefer final payment to be a few days later, emergencies happen, power goes out, storms occur, etc., etc., etc. Having a built-in buffer means that should something happen, the client is not at risk of being placed in a penalty or cancellation situation.

I, too, think 15 days is excessive, but definitely do believe in having a buffer. Believe me, sometimes clients are hard to track down.

...... and for US bookers only!!

Not just US bookers. We're Canadian and have had two price reductions for our cruise so far (for next July) resulting in $220 pp reduction + fuel charge supplement.

How did you cancel your booking after final payment and not lose your deposit?

Bill

Archived