Costa Allegra Asia Cruise

jonad

My husband and I are booked on this cruise Singapore-Singapore, 14 days, leaving 4th April 2009.

Our last cruise was on the Gemini a couple of years ago. Loved it.

I am a bit concerned regarding a lot of negative feedback regarding this ship.

I would love to hear feedback from cruisers who have just recently returned from cruising on the Allegra, prefereably in Asia.

Also what is the currency on board, druing Asian cruises. I have read conflicting reports between Euro and US$.

With thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonad

We sailed around Asia 14 days last April on the Allegra and have also been on the Gemini. We enjoyed both but they are very different ships and cruise lines. in a nutshell here are some comments about Allegra.

• The ship used to be a container so there is very little opportunity to sit inside the ship and gaze out to sea. Few public windows.
  • The staff were excellent and most of the staff speak at least 5 languages and a lot of announcements are in 5 languages.
  • like the Gemini there is only one restaurant but it has formal dining and seating arrangements so you will be allocated an early or late sitting.
  • The shore excursions were all handled very well and good value.
  • There are lots of activities on board and we particularly enjoyed the trivia and bingo competitions which are held several times a day in different languages.
  • The free pizzeria is yummy!
  • Drinks good price and excellent value.
  • The pool is small but ok. There is a good jogging track.
  • Formal nights are very formal with suits and tuxedos and many long dresses.
  • Getting on and off the ship very well managed.
  • We got on at Singapore and more than half the passengers change over at Hong Kong which gives a different mix.
  • 100 Australians out of 800 on ship. Mainly Italians,french and Spanish with some English.

Hope this helps.:)

Jancy

Hi Jancy

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing a fair bit of research since booking our cruise and note that most reviewers complain about the very high prices of drinks: eg $9 for a beer, minimum $40 for a bottle of wine etc. but say the prices are reasonable.

Having been on the Gemini as well, how do you think they compare? We found the Gemini quite reasonable.

We were thinking of booking a drinks package or two before departure as this seems to be more economical.

What do you think?

Thanks

Jonad

Archived