Trying Royal Caribbean for the first time, what can we expect?

pampaul

We've sailed twice so far. Once on Norwegian Dawn and then on Disney Magic. We enjoyed the Dawn a lot since it was our first cruise. We're a family of four (2 adults and 2 boys ages 12/13) We enjoyed the freestyle dining that Norwegian offers. But then sailed on the Disney Magic and I really like the fact that we had the same servers each night. I think that RC has the same servers each night, right?

Aside from that, what else can I expect with RC? We will be on the Monarch of the Seas.

We've sailed twice so far. Once on Norwegian Dawn and then on Disney Magic. We enjoyed the Dawn a lot since it was our first cruise. We're a family of four (2 adults and 2 boys ages 12/13) We enjoyed the freestyle dining that Norwegian offers. But then sailed on the Disney Magic and I really like the fact that we had the same servers each night. I think that RC has the same servers each night, right?

Aside from that, what else can I expect with RC? We will be on the Monarch of the Seas.

You can expect great service and a wonderful ship ;)

Monarch is one of my very favorites and I miss her! Yes, you will have the same wait staff in the DR every night. Monarch is an older smaller ship, not a whole lot of bells and whistles, but every bit charming and full of fun as her big sisters. I recommend if you can, for a future cruise to take your boys on a Voyager class or Freedom class ship as well.....so much fun!

I agree with RCLcruzer, you really need to get those boys on a Voyager or Freedom class ship.

With regard to the Monarch, I hope you have booked either two cabins or a Superior Ocean-view stateroom (SO) or better. Otherwise, I think you will be disappointed in the size of the accommodations. These Sovereign class ships have very small (like 120 square feet) accommodations in categories below the SO. Otherwise, I believe you will find the ship to be a great short escape. I believe you will find the service to be exceptional, the ship to be in good shape despite the age (this will be the oldest ship you have sailed on) and the experience to be enjoyable. I know you will have a good time, just don't go into the cruise with a comparison mindset. With the Disney and NCL ships you have traveled on, you really need to do RCL's Voyager or Freedom Class for there to be a fair comparison.

I will be on Monarch in a few days so I will be able to come back and give some first hand info. I have however been on Disney, Carnival as well as RCCL's Sovereign twice. In all honesty Disney is a tough act to follow comparing to Sovereign....thats not to say we didn't enjoy Sovereign, wouldn't have sailed her twice and booked Monarch. It's just that Disney did most things just a bit better and I thought that the ship was also much nicer. Now why didn't I go back to Disney....simple, for a short 3 night cruise you can't beat the price on RCCL....Carnival I wouldn't even consider as their ships for short cruises are old and lacking IMO. If price was the same I would easily pick Disney comparing to Monarch. If you are going on Monarch, like the previous poster stated I wouldn't book anything other than an SO on deck 9 and I wouldn't put more than 2 in a room.....rooms are tiny.

Now on a different comparison I have 2 more cruises booked with RCCL...one this spring on Independence and another early 2010 on Oasis....I expect them both to blow Disney out of the water.

We took our two kids on Majesty (sister ship of Monarch) during Spring Break back in 2007. I would strongly suggest two cabins. We had an OV for ourselves and put the kids in a inside cabin across the hall. Worked out great, and we realized how wise this decision had been when all of us were in the same cabin together.

Also keep in mind you are on one of the smallest and oldest ships in the RCI fleet so she won’t have the “wow” factor of some other ships out there. That being said we were treated great by the staff on Majesty and had a great vacation. We are planning to take the kids with us on Navigator at the end of 2009 so they can experience one of the large ships, but I wouldn’t have any problem going on another Majesty/Monarch cruise.

Archived