PVP commission?

Rosebud5t

Sorry if this question has been asked before...

I'm wondering if the Carnival PVP gets a commission or something when I book through them instead of booking online?

I've booked my last 3 cruises online and actually haven't booked my February one yet. I've been watching cabins and prices and check it very often on Carnival. My PVP has started calling now saying that he sees that I'm checking and wants me to book.

As long as the price is the same, it makes no difference to me other than when I book online, I can print everything right there and "see" that I'm getting everything set up the way I want. But if he gets a commission, I'd just as soon book through him so he gets a little bonus, too.

Thanks!

~Tammy :)

I'm wondering if the Carnival PVP gets a commission or something when I book through them instead of booking online?

I've booked my last 3 cruises online and actually haven't booked my February one yet. I've been watching cabins and prices and check it very often on Carnival. My PVP has started calling now saying that he sees that I'm checking and wants me to book.

As long as the price is the same, it makes no difference to me other than when I book online, I can print everything right there and "see" that I'm getting everything set up the way I want. But if he gets a commission, I'd just as soon book through him so he gets a little bonus, too.

Thanks!

TA's get commissions, PVP's don't. They get "recognition." whatever that is. You can do both but only one way. Book first with the PVP, after all is to your satisfaction. You can change the booking to the TA of your choice. The PVP retains credit for the booking and Carnival pays the TA their commission. You cannot do it vice versa.

Dan

The one thing I can tell you is that we were unable to get the military discount online. The PVP we booked with for the September 7, 2008, cruise saved us $400 pp. More than worth the annoying calls every time you do a repeat search on the Carnival site.

I would at least call the PVP. You don't have to book.

PVPs work on incentives. They can be promoted and given bonus at the end of each year, according to the bookings they have made.

...At least, that's what two PVPs have told me, one of which was promoted to corporate office.:)

This is a job listing Personal Vacation Planners, you will see the bulk of their pay is based on a commission plan

Carnival Cruise Lines

Personal Vacation Planner Outstanding opportunity to work in a dynamic and fast paced sales environment for the most successful cruise line in the industry. Our sales representatives enjoy a lucrative commission program, plus cruising privileges. All leads have expressed an interest in cruising aboard our award winning "Fun Ships". There is no cold calling. Representatives develop new business and build relationships with guests by capitalizing on repeat business and referrals.

This is a phone sales position where our sales professionals make a minimum of 150 outbound calls a day with 5 hours talk time on the phone.

Candidates should be highly motivated, self-starters with excellent interpersonal and English communication skills (verbal and written). PC literacy is required. A Bachelor's degree or equivalent sales experience is highly preferred.

EARNING POTENTIAL: $50,K ++

Lucrative Commission Plan + Base Salary ($16,500) + paid training and a comprehensive benefits package including full health coverage, 401 (k), stock purchase plan, cruise benefits and 20 paid days off each year.

Work hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00 am to 8:00 pm and

Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

Send resume to jelias@carnival.com

• Compensation: $16,500 + commission
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

when i asked mine, he said they do NOT get commission. who knows though. All i know is that the price he was able to get me was much lower than any i could get online. they are soooooo nice to work with too.

good luck!!

when i asked mine, he said they do NOT get commission. who knows though. All i know is that the price he was able to get me was much lower than any i could get online. they are soooooo nice to work with too.

good luck!!

My guess is they get credits or points for each booking, and then get a bonus each paycheck based on the number of credits or points they've earned. So, it's not a direct commission, but still a pay scheme based on production.

I agree with you. Working with a PVP is a dream. I love mine.

Thanks!

It seems I have two pvps. when I booked my first cruise, I was talking to a PVP. Then another called me and told me he was working with the first one. A day after I booked with the second one the first one called and got upset I booked with the other. I told him what PVP #2 said,and asked him he he stole the commission. PVP #1 told me they don't get commission but they have quotas, and that is what PVP#2 stole.

Now I get calls from both PVP's. ----I have to figure out a way to get them into a price war over my bookings.

I have been checking the carnival site for rate drops daily while I wait for my claim to be finalized with Berkely. Every time it does it must trigger something with my somewhat odd PVP (hate to say this but he really is very strange and I have used him on and off for years) and about every other day I get one of those cards from Carnival with his business cards in it. I wish he would just help me finalize this insurance claim and I'll re-book the cruise with him. Oh well.... nothing to complain about

I booked thru a PVP on my last cruise & he was fired. Yes, the new PVP assigned to me told me that. I sensed she didn't get credit for the booking as she wasn't very accomodating. Rude, actually. I had to go over her head to her supervisor who was very nice.

This time I booked through a TA. We'll see.

Straight from a supervisors mouth, they told me that PVP's work on a points system. Based on the length of the sailing, which ship and the popularity of bookings on that specific sailing. So if you call in and book a 10 day which isn't selling well they will get a lot more points than say a 4 day that is booking up fast. Then those points are translated into the commission plan and they also affect who get promotions within the company as well. I usually book online, but the last PVP that called me was really nice and wasn't pushy at all so I may just book with him for my next cruise and help the guy out.

good luck!!

FYI,

EVERY TA has access to the lowest possible price a PVP can charge. IF, a big if, the TA is sharp they will ALWAYS meet or beat a PVP's price. Does not matter if you are talking about a resident discount, a military discount, a past guest discount, WHATEVER, A TA has access to those prices same as a PVP does.

PLUS,

The cruise line pays the TA a commission and depending on their volume, extends them additional discounts. IF the TA wishes to, he/she can allow you some of that extra off the price, thus beating the VERY BEST price a PVP can charge. But you cannot find that price advertised on line. Carnival does not allow them to advertise prices below the Carnival price. So you have to actually call the TA's and talk to them, then they can quote the BEST price.

People that are insecure or unsure of what they are doing and need their hands held from the cradle to the grave, should use a PVP.

Dan

This is all interesting info.

Noahsark99 ~ When my PVP called, he said that something "popped up" telling him he should call me because I've been logging in to my carnival.com account to check prices. They must get a flag of some sort.

GBChicago ~ My PVP is a little "odd" also - or at least he didn't seem super sharp when I talked to him. Might have just been a rough night, though, after a long day on the phone. I know I sure have "odd" nights after working too much. That's why I need a CRUISE!!!! :D

All of that being said, I'll go ahead and call him and have him book it so that he can get the credit for the booking. I'm sure it will be fine and if it's not, I'll book online or with a TA next time.

Thanks for all the discussion everyone!

good luck!!

did you contact any of the online places? It's pretty irregular for CCL to ever be lower than a TA.

Bill

This is all interesting info.

Noahsark99 ~ When my PVP called, he said that something "popped up" telling him he should call me because I've been logging in to my carnival.com account to check prices. They must get a flag of some sort.

GBChicago ~ My PVP is a little "odd" also - or at least he didn't seem super sharp when I talked to him. Might have just been a rough night, though, after a long day on the phone. I know I sure have "odd" nights after working too much. That's why I need a CRUISE!!!! :D

All of that being said, I'll go ahead and call him and have him book it so that he can get the credit for the booking. I'm sure it will be fine and if it's not, I'll book online or with a TA next time.

Thanks for all the discussion everyone!

Just so you know you can get a lower price by booking with a TA.

Do what Dan suggested earlier. Book with the PVP and than transfer the booking to a TA.

Bill

Thanks!

The following is from 2006. I don't know how it has been amended if at all since then.

FORT PIERCE — When Robert Becker kicked off plans last year for a

Carnival Cruise Lines call center here, he intended to hire all 200

employees before its doors opened.

But on Monday, when the first workers filed into the company's space

at Orange Blossom Business Center, only 32 were on the job, said

Becker, the company's vice president for consumer research.

Why the lag?

It's not the low-wage stigma that other local call centers face — the

jobs at Carnival pay at least $40,000 a year, Becker said, with some

salespeople earning more than $80,000. Rather, Becker said, recruiting

qualified employees in the Fort Pierce area has been the larger

obstacle.

Though the company has interviewed about 300 prospects for the full-

time jobs, just 32 have started work and another 25 have been hired to

begin training Jan. 30. Becker said he's attended job fairs across the

Treasure Coast but hasn't seen enough of the candidates he'd hoped

for.

"At the job fairs up here, people don't wear suits and ties," he said

Tuesday. "We wear suits and ties."

He's thinking of hosting an open house at a Palm Beach County hotel to

capture some of the more skilled workers who may commute out of St.

Lucie County.

"Everyone keeps talking about the 45,000 people a day that commute to

Palm Beach — we just don't know how to get them," he said.

Carnival's so-called "personal vacation planners" typically make about

150 calls a day, pitching cruises and helping vacationers pick out

ships and destinations. Unlike some other call center operators, which

do contract work and may have high turnover rates, Carnival is looking

for people seeking a career, Becker said.

Amy Kwasnicki of Port St. Lucie, who lost her medical billing business

to hurricane damage, took a job with Carnival in Fort Pierce to try

and match the more than $80,000 she made annually on her own.

"If you can produce, you're going to make the money," said the 38-year-

old mother of three.

The center's base salary is $16,500, plus about $50 for every cruise

sold. Becker's top seller took home $99,000 last year.

"If they don't make $40,000, I fire them," he said.

Joanna Corral, 22, followed Carnival to the Fort Pierce center, buying

a house in the Tradition development in Port St. Lucie. She earns

about $60,000 a year working 50 hours a week.

"Not bad for my first job, which it is," the University of Miami

graduate said.

January through April usually is the busiest time for booking cruises,

and Becker said he needs to fill the Fort Pierce jobs quickly to meet

that demand. He estimates the Fort Pierce office will sell about $100

million in cruises annually.

Nationally, cruise sales should remain strong this year, said Linda

Bannister, an analyst with Edward Jones in St. Louis.

"Pricing has been good, and I would say demand has been solid," she

said.

In addition to Fort Pierce, Carnival Cruise Lines also has call

centers in Miami, Miramar and Colorado Springs, Colo. Carnival Cruise

is the largest division of Miami-based Carnival Corp. (NYSE: CCL,

$55.12).

The company recently has expanded direct-booking efforts, and Becker

said he wants to open another call center in Tampa.

Still, travel agents continue to handle a vast number of Carnival's

bookings, Bannister said.

"Carnival understands that travel agencies are critically important to

its business," she said.

Bill

If you work out 150 calls a day, based on an 8 hour day, which they may even be working 10 hour days. Its only one call every 3 minutes. I would hazard a guess that at least 50% of their calls go unanswered or to voice mail. And maybe 10% they spend longer than 10 minutes with. Not bad when its your job to spend the day on the phone.

Archived