WANTED: A cabin mate for my 16 year old daughter 3/29/05

rucruizin

Sun Princess 10 day Caribbean cruise. There are 25 people on the wait list for a triple cabin so I figure there has to be someone out there with the same problem as me.

Post here or email me.

Prefer someone very close in age, female, non-smoker.

She's a very polite and well behaved Christian girl with high standards but very bubbly and happy, a little on the shy side at first.

Yes, you're reading it wrong.

I'm looking for a FAMILY with a DAUGHTER apporximately the same age who wants to take their daughter as much as I want to take mine. I called Princess and there are 25 people on the wait list for triple cabins for this very same sailing. Since it doesn't seem likely that we would be able to get one I'm reaching out to others who may be in the same situation. It would be cost effective for both families and ya know, I just have a lot of faith in people. Especially Cruise people, even more so in CC cruise people.

You send them to college, they live in a dorm with...a stranger. You send them to summer camp and they bunk with...a stranger. She heads off for sports camp, and you guessed it...she rooms with a stranger. What's the difference?

I would certainly want to talk on the phone with anyone we'd consider and have the girls get to know each other via e-mail or phone prior to the cruise. Presto, instant friends. No akward, shy teen meetings that take the first 3 days of the cruise. We're on a ship not turning her out on the streets of New York.

Rucruzin,

I have to agree with Cansail.....how do you know who you are putting in the same room with your daughter?

There is a big difference with college, sports camp and summer camp.... they all have done a search on the participants. The participants are on their own. How do you know anything about the rest of the sailing group ( ie family, friends, murderers, rapists) who would have access to your daughters room? Cruise lines do not do any type of search ...are you that naive?

Please don't do this to your daughter

Even though this CC group is wonderful, I would not put my daughters safety in jeopardy.

Hi everyone this is lys rucruizins daughter......i know that everyone here might be kind of skeptic about the fact that my mom is trying to put me in a room w/ someone that i dont even know. i was too at first, but when i started to think about it i dont really mind anymore. I highly doubt that a murder, rapist or any other crazy person would spend that much just to try and kill me. I sure wouldn't....think about it.....would u??? And all the sports camps and stuff that i have gone to out of state have never checked up on me they just put me in dorms with some person and well hey i survied that didnt i.....so im not really worried. I appreciate all your concerns but i dont think my parents would just meet someone on the internet and not talk to them on the phone or have any means of communication and expect me to room with them. Well have a good day everyone.........

Having worked at summer camp for upwards of 5 year I can tell you that we in no way "do a search" on the participants. You get what you get. Also as someone who had a roommmate in university and has dealt with many others with roommates there is also very little screening there. It sounds to me like rucruzin is aware that there are unsavory suspects out there and is committed to doing some research before getting into anything. I wish someone had done the same for my camp roommates!

Having worked at summer camp for upwards of 5 year I can tell you that we in no way "do a search" on the participants. You get what you get. Also as someone who had a roommmate in university and has dealt with many others with roommates there is also very little screening there. It sounds to me like rucruzin is aware that there are unsavory suspects out there and is committed to doing some research before getting into anything. I wish someone had done the same for my camp roommates!

It must depend on the camp that you attend - all of the counselors, students and staff are screened at the camp my neice works for - I was one of her references - it is part of the package for the camp. Having worked with university students I can tell you that we did screen for criminal activity and drug activity.

I don't believe email or phone call is a way to determine if an individual is safe or not.

I wasn't clear in my post. obviously screening of employees is done at my camp, but I was refering to the campers themselves. Just wanted to clear that up. That's interesting that your university screens for criminal and drug activity, a good idea actually. Would have saved me alot of trouble as an RA.

Ok this is just hilarious. I am not naive, they don't screen campers, and if I am so inclined I certainly have access to criminal background information furthermore, my daughter isn't 3 years old!

This post is here for someone who might want to have their daighter share a cabin with my daughter. I'm not stupid! I think I am quite capable of screening and judging any potential candidates as I'm sure any parent looking at my offer would do the same. If they didn't that might be a clue. I'm a big girl and I'm not going to do anything to put my daughter in jeaopardy.

So feel free to put in your 2 cents but I'm only going to respond to posts that are worth my time.

Ok this is just hilarious. I am not naive, they don't screen campers, and if I am so inclined I certainly have access to criminal background information furthermore, my daughter isn't 3 years old!

This post is here for someone who might want to have their daighter share a cabin with my daughter. I'm not stupid! I think I am quite capable of screening and judging any potential candidates as I'm sure any parent looking at my offer would do the same. If they didn't that might be a clue. I'm a big girl and I'm not going to do anything to put my daughter in jeaopardy.

So feel free to put in your 2 cents but I'm only going to respond to posts that are worth my time.

And what do you call your post? not a response??:rolleyes:

Anyway, they do screen campers at reputable camps for pre-teen/teens - I wasn't talking about 3 year olds.

Just remember - anyone in the party that the other girl belongs to can have access to your daughters room. You will not be able to have any influence over whom she gives her key to....or whom she brings to the room.

I would make sure you did criminal background search on both parents - its easy to do - you can do it with name and date of birth for the county that someone lives in - just get previous adresses. Court docs. are public record.

An alternative would be to book the cabin but actually have your daughter safely in your cabin or another family members cabin. Lot's of groups/families switch people around. It is an option if you get on board and feel uncomfortable.

Yes, I do think you are naive. People on this website are great but do you really know who they are? Unless you have met them you don't - neither do I.

I've met quite a few on cruises from CC - 99% were wonderful.....I just wouldn't trust that 1% with my child or anyone.

I hope I have brought up enough questions for you that you do some sort of background check rather than relying on phone calls and emails as you mention in a previous post:

ya know, I just have a lot of faith in people. Especially Cruise people, even more so in CC cruise people.

I would certainly want to talk on the phone with anyone we'd consider and have the girls get to know each other via e-mail or phone prior to the cruise. Presto, instant friends. No akward, shy teen meetings that take the first 3 days of the cruise. We're on a ship not turning her out on the streets of New York.

Well, have a good evening

PS - Have you asked your travel agent if they have other bookings on the same ship? If you use a local agent, you may be able to find someone local - ....just an idea.

bmgaritty,

sorry, last night when I posted that I guess I was a little grumpy, don't like to be like that. Sorry again.

I have friends who work for the DA's office and do criminal investigations all the time.

I do realize all these things and more. No one has even mentioned financial conflicts. I've had visions of getting stiffed and stuck with a huge sign and sail bill. (That's a Carnival term, don't know what they use on Princess.) I've thought about the family not paying for their half of the cabin and getting somehow stuck with that. Tipping? there are many worries. This is not just something I would jump into head first without thinking. I would have to find exactly the right family and person.

That may not happen but it might.

I put on another thread...I have tremendous faith in God, I have been asking for him to prepare a way for this to happen...if it is according to his will. According to that faith I trust in him to send no one if not the "right one." He loves my daughter as much as I do and would never allow me to "put" her in a situation of danger. Unless of course I just wasn't listening. I am very in tune and don't do anything but what I ask for His help and blessings. I rely on Him everyday in everything I do. No difference here. I don't even purchase trip insurance, I ask if we're meant to go and if I don't feel good about it I don't pursue it. If I feel good about it I proceed and EVERYTHING from flights, to hotels, to dates and time off approval fall right into place.

That is just how I live.

Hi everyone this is lys rucruizins daughter......i know that everyone here might be kind of skeptic about the fact that my mom is trying to put me in a room w/ someone that i dont even know. i was too at first, but when i started to think about it i dont really mind anymore. I highly doubt that a murder, rapist or any other crazy person would spend that much just to try and kill me. I sure wouldn't....think about it.....would u??? And all the sports camps and stuff that i have gone to out of state have never checked up on me they just put me in dorms with some person and well hey i survied that didnt i.....so im not really worried. I appreciate all your concerns but i dont think my parents would just meet someone on the internet and not talk to them on the phone or have any means of communication and expect me to room with them. Well have a good day everyone.........

Can you email me directly? 54Him2@comcast.net

Archived