Charges for using laptop in stateroom

MKMC

Does anyone know what the charges are for using a laptop in one's cabin? Are packages available?

Kathleen

We were on the QV this past summer and the QV's rules regarding using the internet were different then we had experienced on the QM2. On the QV no packages were available if you used your own computer. The packages were only available to those who used the computers in the internet center. Never understood why that was the case.

on the QV I believe it was 50 cents per minute.

Bob, that accords with what I remember as well.

One point about using the laptop for internet access from you cabin that is absolutely vital, is that you must follow the correct procedure for logging off when you finish an internet session. The procedure is explained in a handout that you will receive when you set up your account. If you do not log off properly then the clock will continue ticking and there is the potential to inadvertently run up a very large bill indeed.

J

One point about using the laptop for internet access from you cabin that is absolutely vital, is that you must follow the correct procedure for logging off when you finish an internet session. The procedure is explained in a handout that you will receive when you set up your account. If you do not log off properly then the clock will continue ticking and there is the potential to inadvertently run up a very large bill indeed.

J

You didn't inadvertently do that, did you?

J

If you are using Outlook for email on your laptop the best way to use the internet at the lowest cost is to log on, download all your emails, log off, answer the emails off line, log on again and the all the emails will be sent immediately. The most expensive way to do email on your laptop is to answer each message while you are on line at 50 cents per minute.

Be aware, if you have a Mac laptop, it will not work in your cabin. Something about the system there not allowing you to advance past the log in page. The computer manager told me they have had this problem with the new system and at this point it is necessary for Mac users to go to the internet center to access the wireless system. She explained that the system there is different from the one used elsewhere in the ship.

I did not try my Mac in any of the public spaces so I can't comment on that. And if you are a Gold member you will have 2 free hours regardless of where you use them, in the center or in your cabin.

Personally I miss the old interactive TV and emails done at my leisure in my cabin.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Be aware, if you have a Mac laptop, it will not work in your cabin. Something about the system there not allowing you to advance past the log in page. The computer manager told me they have had this problem with the new system and at this point it is necessary for Mac users to go to the internet center to access the wireless system. She explained that the system there is different from the one used elsewhere in the ship.

I did not try my Mac in any of the public spaces so I can't comment on that. And if you are a Gold member you will have 2 free hours regardless of where you use them, in the center or in your cabin.

Personally I miss the old interactive TV and emails done at my leisure in my cabin.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Do you mean you can't E-Mail from your cabin without a computer?

And if you are a Gold member you will have 2 free hours regardless of where you use them, in the center or in your cabin.

On the QV last June you could not use your free hours on your lap top...only on the computers in the computer center.

Do you mean you can't E-Mail from your cabin without a computer?

Not anymore on QM2...they have completely changed the interactive TV system...same TVs unfortunately since the space would be nice if they had flat screens mounted on the wall. But no more TV email....bummer! For me it was just inconvenient (read annoying after being used to the old system) to write my emails, stack them up, then run down to the computer center to send them. Again, that is a Mac user problem, not a PC problem.

Cheers, Penny

On the QV last June you could not use your free hours on your lap top...only on the computers in the computer center.

My error...I should have been more specific. I of course was referring to QM2 as she is the ship I sail on.

Cheers, Penny

Archived