Ship time

Serendipity50

Not to worry, the Ships time is always adjusted to to local ports time.

This is not true. In my experience, Ship's time does NOT change to local time! Ship's time remains the same from the original embarkation port. However, I have heard/read that it may depend on the cruise director/captain/staff to make that decision and could vary from ship to ship. But, like I said...in my cruises, I 99% sure that passengers were told not to change your watches to local time.

I have to assume that HANK has not been on many cruises. I was on HAL's Eurodam this past december and we changed our clocks and watches when we entered a different time zone. I agree that this is a decision made by the captain or perhaps the cruise line itself,

because I HAVE been on cruises where they tell you to remain on ship's time no matter where they dock. I've been to Cozumel several times and to the best of my recollection,

they DID announce that we should stay on ship's time and not change to local time. So I guess you'll have to wait until you get there to find out what's what. ;)

Tim is wrong, the time listed on your itenerary are listed in ships time not port time. I had the same issue when I booked my dolphin swim in Grand Caymen. From reading other post, it sounds like the ship may adjust the ship time to match port time during the cruise (rarely) but they make anouncements on board for that. For planning purposes though your itenerary is in ship time not port time. I have found that worldtimesaver.com is very helpful with this. I calculates for countries that do not observe daylight savings time. He is the planner that I used for my cruise. Hope this helps!

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/meeting-planner-times.aspx?&L0=US-FL&L1=KY&L2=HN&L3=BZ&L4=MX&Day=19&Mon=4&Y=2009

In my experience ship time varies from ship to ship. I've been on ships where the ship time never changed but was different than local time in some ports but not others. I've been on ships where ship time changed for a couple of days and then changed back, again. I've even been in ports with another Carnival ship where the other ship had a different ship time than our ship had. Don't go asking someone in port from another Carnival ship "what time is it?" They may be on a different time than your ship.

---Bruce

Not always. Depending on the line, and the duration of the voyage, ships time may or may not change. On Carnival's cruises that leave from US ports in the East and which visit ports in Mexico and the Caribbean, the ships time remains the same as the port that you left from. So, for example, ships that leave from ports on the US east coast, and visit ports in Mexico, will be on hour ahead of the time observed in the Mexican ports. Similarly, those same ships that visit the Eastern Caribbean will be one hour behind the local time.

Passengers are encouraged to remain on ship's time, otherwise they may risk returning to the dock and finding that their ship has already left because of the time difference.

Passengers are encouraged to remain on ship's time, otherwise they may risk returning to the dock and finding that their ship has already left because of the time difference.

We always make sure one of us has a watch and it is on ship time.!! We actually check it against the clock near the pursers desk.

If you booked a 3 pm dolphin encounter what time does your ship leave.You may be cutting it real close unless it was booked through the cruise line excursions.If you leave Cozumel at 5 pm you may be cutting it too close.Thesawch

If you booked a 3 pm dolphin encounter what time does your ship leave.You may be cutting it real close unless it was booked through the cruise line excursions.If you leave Cozumel at 5 pm you may be cutting it too close.Thesawch

I was on Imagination this past May. Imagination leaves at 10 PM. However, I do not remember if we changed our watches...I think we didn't. But to further complicate matters, we were on daylight savings time in the US. So...I am no help here.:p Have a great cruise! We might be booking Imagination again for 2/09.

Archived