St. Maarten question

danielbriere

We're looking to do some snorkeling on St. Maarten and a place called Ilet Pinel has been recommended. However, other than a few YouTube videos, I know nothing about it.

Has anyone gone there? Does anyone know how long it would take to get there from the port? Costs? All the other stuff I'd need to know?

Failing that, does anyone have any other suggestions? Someone mentioned the Tiki Island or something like that.

We're looking to do some snorkeling on St. Maarten and a place called Ilet Pinel has been recommended. However, other than a few YouTube videos, I know nothing about it.

Has anyone gone there? Does anyone know how long it would take to get there from the port? Costs? All the other stuff I'd need to know?

Failing that, does anyone have any other suggestions? Someone mentioned the Tiki Island or something like that.

Information which you may find useful is posted on the St Martin board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=11933434

We have been to Pinel Island twice. Both times were when we spent a whole week on St Maarten. But it was in 2003. We drove from our condo near Phillipsburg heading clockwise around the island to not far past Marigot. Took a road to the left toward the beach which was marked but not well. The road led to a little pier. The "ferry" (which at that time was an exaggeration for a dingy) cost $5 per person payable on the way across the small bay. The water is very shallow there and I joked with the captain that I think we could have walked across the bay. Approaching the tiny island we saw the most gorgeous little beach wth chairs all lined up and bright blue umbrellas fluttering with white fringe. It looked like a Hollywood set designer had created this paradise. There is a shipwrecked boat there that sells beverages of the alcoholic type (yum). There also is a snack shop. We had a small basket of asst fried fish and fries and 2 Cokes and it was $40 American. I would recommend taking some bottled water and snacks from the ship. On our second trip there we took our own food. There was charge to use the chairs. There is a small area of souvenir vendors but the seem to be more authentic than imported stuff. If you follow a path to the other side of the island that is where the snorkeling is. The waves on the beach side are almost non-existant. It was almost like being in a pool or bathtub. It was sheer paradise. It was one of the best days I have ever spent in my entire 61 years. I highly recommend.

The little "ferry" came every half hour and you could go back to the mainland when ever you wished. I would recommend spaending several hours there if you go.

To put the island in perspective, if you were on Orient beach and look to the left at the small island- that would be Pinel.

I was there on a day that there were no ships in port. It was HEAVEN. Not sure how much time the cruise ship tours allow.

Archived