SEVEN day transatlantic?

x-press

This may have already been discussed, but . . .

Looking at the only 2010 transatlantic on Cunard's site so far (April), I'm seeing a seven day trip. What's with the lengthening? QE2 used to do 5 (and of course the blue riband trips "back in the day" were even less than that).

While "getting there is half the fun," and in this era, maybe 80% of the fun, there are limits to this, and I hope not all the trips will be this long.

All QM2 voyages to and fro the pond are six days but could be done in 5 like the QE2 as it is nearly as fast..The Queen Victoria takes longer 7 or 8 days as it is a lot slower. You might have seen the QM2 trip linked with a nights accommodation. The Qm2 takes 6 days as it helps with fuel consumption and can avoid bad weather patterns.

Hope this helps..

Fred & Sian

This may have already been discussed, but . . .

It has.....it came out at the height of $$$ oil - with the point made at the time that they might revert to 6 night crossings if the oil price fell....which it has.....so I guess we'll have to see what the rest of the 2010 schedule looks like......

Interesting, thanks!

That makes me feel a lot better; I was worried it was a "we'll give them an extra day on the ship, since that's all anyone goes for, anyway." If the Lusitania could be slowed down to conserve coal, I suppose the Queen can do the same (but without the U-boats).

It seems a bit clumsy, though. They continued speeding along on the six-day schedule during the worst of the oil price spike, and will now be lumbering along when oil prices may be quite low.

:rolleyes:

I would enjoy a 7-8 day transatlantic, I do this "cruise" because it has no ports. in fact I do B2B just for the length of the "cruise without ports". It is a personal thing of course.

I think many of the "trans" fans do it for the same reason, to enjoy the ship and all its facilities,

It seems a bit clumsy, though. They continued speeding along on the six-day schedule during the worst of the oil price spike, and will now be lumbering along when oil prices may be quite low.

I guess the schedule was set well in advance of the oil price spike.....and if we knew what it would be in May 2010.....I doubt we'd be worrying about it!;)

I would enjoy a 7-8 day transatlantic, I do this "cruise" because it has no ports. in fact I do B2B just for the length of the "cruise without ports". It is a personal thing of course.

I think many of the "trans" fans do it for the same reason, to enjoy the ship and all its facilities,

Oh I know, I know . . . the number of folks doing the "out and back" trips, with roundly 12 hours of landfall, more than convince me that plenty of folks, maybe even a good majority, do these trips solely as a way to get on the ship.

Personally, if I wanted to take a slow "cruise to nowhere," there are a lot of more convenient and cheaper options, without the need to lug or rent tuxes and all that. To me, it's all about the nostalgia of charging across the Atlantic, following in the footsteps of great liners past, and actually GOING somewhere at the end of the wonderful voyage (without being away from home/work for an unacceptable period). I wish I had been born just ten years earlier or so, and could have done a 5-day QE2 crossing. That would have been perfect for my travel style! :(

We agree with you completely! The longer it take to cross, the better as far as we are concerned.:D

Sharon

Archived