Catagena Walking Tour

cruzingduo

Catagena is a scary place. My wife and I didn't feel safe and the cabbies were not helpful. Infact we actually felt concern for our safety and bailed out of the car near the Hilton where we took another one back to the cruise terminal.

In Catagena take the cruise tour.

Has anyone done a ships' walking tour that could give me your feedback. Not sure of our legs can handle it.

Jewel Jan 19,2009

We were there Dec. 6th on the Connie. We took a tour designed by Lee Miles, Claudia was our guide. We felt totally safe, had one of the best times ever! Ended up at Olla Cartegena for a fabulous lunch! Loved the dungeons and all the vendors and all the bargaining. I got a great tablecloth there for $19.00! We did old town, new town and a great shopping spot. It was NOT scary in the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nancie You just have to realize this is the way the vendors make a living and you can say no gracias! N.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am more concerned with the steep roads going up to the monastery. Are they safe? We took a tour up a mountain in St Thomas and sometimes it felt that we were going to go off the edge:eek: because the buses came so close to the edge and there were no rails. How is the drive up to the convent?:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also interested in the information on the walking tour.

Also, do the cruise ships (we'll be on Celebrity Mercury) offer a shuttle bus into the old part of the city? Or will the taxis take you into the city without a tour (just the ride) and is it easy to get a taxi back to the cruise ship terminal? How much for the shuttle or taxi to the old part of the city and back?

We don't get there until 2:00pm and we're just interested in walking around the old walled city for a few hours. Any feedback? I speak Spanish farily well if that helps.

Kathy

Just back from Cartagena and loved it!!!!! :)

We found the people very warm and welcoming. Yes, some of the street vendors will walk right up to you and stick their wares in your face, but a polite "no, gracias" always worked.

We did the old city walking tour (booked through the ship, Celebrity Constellation). It was great! Fascinating tour, beautiful churches and architecture. The walking was very easy. The only significant incline was when we went up onto the wall surrounding the old city, but it wasn't too bad. We had several seniors on our tour and they all did fine. The rest of the tour was on level ground. I can recommend this tour without hesitation.

Please don' stay on the ship! It would be such a shame to be at such a beautiful and historic place and not even see it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Take a private cab to old city for $20 one-way. Walk around there as much as you want. It is all flat land, cobbled roads. Lovely to just walk around and take pictures. Sit down when you feel tired. Plenty of benches around in the park. Cab back to pier for $20. The Fort and Monastry require some steep walking.

The walking in Old Town is mainly flat and it does not move fast so is an easy walk. The only hard part for me was the Fortress because it is up, up, up but you can wait outside for everyone because you go in and out at the same entrance.

This port was our least favorite because of the vendors. They are all around you all the time. We were constantly saying no and then that vendor or two would be replaced with another one or two or three. It was also very hot and humid and although we were glad to visit once, we would never go back.

Archived