Paradise Beach or Chankanaab

cruz_luvr1

Looking for a fun day in Cozumel that would please beach lovers as well as not-so beach lovers. I will be there in February on a Freedom of the Seas cruise. I've been to Playa Mia before and thought it was a really good time, but I want to visit a different beach this time. I've read mixed reviews of Paradise Beach on Trip Advisor. I've also read good things about Chankanaab, but I'm not interested in the Dolphin experience, which is why a lot of people go there. Any opinions on which location is better?

If there are little ones along I would opt for PB. The beach is sandy with a gentle slope. If you are going to snorkel and don't mind a steep rocky access to the water, Chank gets the nod. Both places offer good food and service. CP also has a botanical garden. Both places have plenty of sand, lounge chairs and palapas.

Thanks for the reply, Clackey.

We are travelling with three teenagers, and they get kind of bored when we just go to a beach with no activities. It looks like both places offer various activities, but I was interested in Chank as my son (16) has always wanted to see ruins (loves all things historical) and also loves nature hikes, which I hear they have as well. I am a beach lover myself, so I would probably be happy at either place. We all snorkel as well, so we would probably take advantage of that at Chank. My other concern is $$$ as well, and we are booking excursions on other islands, so I was hoping to keep my costs down. PB is free to get in, so I thought that might be cheaper. We are not drinkers, so it would basically be the cost of food and the $9 wristband at PB. I'm still undecided. Which place do you think is prettier?

We were at CP 12/3 and it is gorgeous. They had a replica Mayan Village on our first trip, but I didn't see one this time. I must confess that I didn't get very far from the water though. The snorkeling was pretty good with lots of fish. We took a stroll through the garden and the inland lagoon was really nice. Be sure to take a camera.

Tom at PB runs a good show. The food and sevice is great and there are water toys for the youngins for a nominal fee. If you just want to veg and let the younger set do their thing PB would work swell and it is cheaper.

We just got back and we went to Mr. Sanchos.

Horseback riding, ATV's, Jet Skis, banana boat, kayaks, para-sailing, bar, restaurant, shopping, fresh water pool, showers,

We did PB on the previous 2 and I liked Sancho's better. It is the last resort on the beach.

I'm going to tag on here and hope someone can help me as well with a similar dilemma.

We have the dolphin encounter booked at Chankanaab for the kids (12, 7, and 5). We also want the kids to have a beach experience, which we planned on doing on Grand Cayman, but we all know that might not happen as Cayman isn't always able to be tendered into.

From reading I see that Chankanaab isn't really good for swimming for the kids. How far is Paradise Beach from Chankanaab? Would heading there after the dolphin encounter be reasonable in regards to cost and time?

Thanks!

Chakanaab has a small beach area that you can enter into the ocean like a normal beach, gradual decline, but its not like your typical beach. While I enjoyed our visit there, I probably wouldnt go back with all the other beach options in Cozumel. Its only a short taxi ride to PB, which your kids would enjoy as well, our boys had a blast there when we went.

Chakanaab has a small beach area that you can enter into the ocean like a normal beach, gradual decline, but its not like your typical beach. While I enjoyed our visit there, I probably wouldnt go back with all the other beach options in Cozumel. Its only a short taxi ride to PB, which your kids would enjoy as well, our boys had a blast there when we went.

Thanks! We'll grab a cab there after the dolphin encounter then. I agree from what I've read. Sounds nice, but not the beach experience I pictured for the kids.

I was hoping it wouldn't be far. I found some maps but couldn't quite distinguish the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

With teens I would recommend PB - they run a top notch facility. The restrooms are clean, the food is good (and reasonable) and the staff is among the best I have had in Cozumel.

There is no charge for the chairs, if you purchase food/drink. There is a fee for the toys (I believe 10.00) and they can use all the water toys all day long. You will get floaties, snorkel stuff and use of the water toys (trampoline and ice berg)

In addition there are jetskiis to rent and hair braiding that can be done by other vendors. There is a small gift shop next to the bar with t-shirts and stuff.

We will be there in just a week, hope that helped

Deb

You will have fun either place, as we have. You can rent snorkeling equip at Chankanaab as well as Paradise Beach...however other posters are correct as in smaller kids would have more fun on the items at Paradise Beach. Have fun!

I really enjoyed PB , I visited Chank last time and loved it. The ruins were really neat walking thru and the lagoon was awesome , got some cool pictures and enjoyed walking around the beach area, saw some kids playing in water that was near the dolpin area and they were having a blast , so there is a kids area to play in. I would chose chank over PB, Enjoyed their beach and water toys and relaxing but Chank had more to offer in my opinion. Enjoy in what ever you decide to do, either way you won't be dissapointed!

Looking for a fun day in Cozumel that would please beach lovers as well as not-so beach lovers. I will be there in February on a Freedom of the Seas cruise. I've been to Playa Mia before and thought it was a really good time, but I want to visit a different beach this time. I've read mixed reviews of Paradise Beach on Trip Advisor. I've also read good things about Chankanaab, but I'm not interested in the Dolphin experience, which is why a lot of people go there. Any opinions on which location is better?

We go to Cozumel 4 to 5 times a year.

Of the two choices you listed....I would do Paradise Beach for one reason...Paradise Beach is not going to charge you $16 a person to get in the door.

Sadly, Trip Advisor (sometimes) ends up just being a place for people to complain. If you will read any of the posts on these boards about Paradise Beach...you will find 95% or higher praises.

Perfect, no...but Paradise Beach is as close to it as you are going to get in Cozumel...IMHO.

Tom and his staff run a CLEAN beach...CLEAN restrooms...no entrance fee ...no charge for umbrellas, lounge chairs, tables or Internet at the Bar.

All they ask is that you eat/drink $10 a person while you are there...which is more than fair.

If you want the OPTIONAL wristband for $10 you can get one...but it is strictly OPTIONAL...the boys always get it...hubby and I do not.

Sometimes in all the "excitement" and apprehension of walking into a new setting in a foreign country....people get nervous..... please don't be nervous going to Paradise Beach.

Walk in like you are home...select where you want to sit....

The waiters always have the wristbands on them...so if you want a wristband you can get one at any time.

You will get an itemized list of the food and drinks you ordered BEFORE you pay your tab. Take you time and review it....we have never had an error on ours but they are human and mistakes can happen.

If you are paying by credit card, remember that the exchange rate will affect your final amount.

We were there in October and I am used the exchange rate being about 10%... we charged $820.80 (pecos) and when the charge hit our credit card...it was only $62.72....so obviously we hit it on a good exchange day for us.

We have used our credit card (Visa/Mastercard only) several times a year since they opened and have never had a problem. They do add a 20% tip onto the credit card, so if you don't want that to happen...you need to have a talk with Tom before you charge it.

You can also run a tab and pay cash in American dollars....

All the prices on Tom's menu are in American dollars....

I also LOVE their "sea side boutique". They have the usual tshirts and hats but they also have a nice line of summer clothing for ladies.

All the beach resorts will be $12 -15 one way for up to 4 people for a taxi....

and they take American money as well....just make sure you have exact change.

Have a great day in Cozumel.

Does anyone know how much admission is to CB? MyDH and I also chosing from the two. We like a more calm beach.

It is $16 a person for adults....you can get a $2 coupon off the Internet.

We have been to both and while Chankanaab has a few more things to see (small ruins, a lagoon and you can sit and watch the dolphin encounters)...they still have that downside of not being a real "beach". Sure they have a scooped out area of sand that slowly goes into the ocean, but it surrounded by rocks and is more like a "kiddie pool" area, than anything else. Don't get me wrong. It was still really great. In addition, they have sunken ""pretend" ruins underwater off their coast for you to snorkle and look at...kinda fun, but the water is really deep almost as soon as you enter it..so no real beach feel.

Paradise Beach (and all the other small beaches next to it.....they run in a line for quite a ways) have the real beach feel...you can actually walk into the water. The umbrellas and chairs and activities are just as LHP described it. And their beach side food service was GREAT! The Salsa is to die for and so is the Guacamole! And best of all, you won't get sick ;). I say hands down, next time we go to Cozumel, we will be taking a trip back to one of the local beaches instead of Chankanaab :)

June

We have been to both and while Chankanaab has a few more things to see (small ruins, a lagoon and you can sit and watch the dolphin encounters)...they still have that downside of not being a real "beach". Sure they have a scooped out area of sand that slowly goes into the ocean, but it surrounded by rocks and is more like a "kiddie pool" area, than anything else. Don't get me wrong. It was still really great. In addition, they have sunken ""pretend" ruins underwater off their coast for you to snorkle and look at...kinda fun, but the water is really deep almost as soon as you enter it..so no real beach feel.

Paradise Beach (and all the other small beaches next to it.....they run in a line for quite a ways) have the real beach feel...you can actually walk into the water. The umbrellas and chairs and activities are just as LHP described it. And their beach side food service was GREAT! The Salsa is to die for and so is the Guacamole! And best of all, you won't get sick ;). I say hands down, next time we go to Cozumel, we will be taking a trip back to one of the local beaches instead of Chankanaab :)

June

We've never been to Cozumel and our kids will be young when we go, 10, 7 and 2. We'd like to do the dolphin encounter as the younger 2 are free with paying adults(me and dh) -is there enough to keep us occupied there for the day with kids that age?(at Chankanaab?) They love nature and we'll already have 2 "beach" days at Castaway Cay(double dip in Nov.) This is our 1st Disney cruise. Any input's appreciated!:D

Archived