Am I the Only Person who Simply Gets the Nation of Why Not?

So, WHY NOT do the things you always wanted to do ....WHY NOT!

You know, that's exactly what I thought on my last cruise (which ironically was NOT with Royal!) The opportunity presented itself for a wee little shipboard romance, which I declined, and then later that night thought - WHY NOT? So I found that gentleman again the next day and told him I'd reconsidered!

Man, that was a fun vacation!

I wonder if maybe what got folks attention with your thread is the initial line "am I the only person who gets it" like maybe all the rest of us are too dumb to figure this all out? We get it. We don't like it. Also....your words "No longer is cruising about being old and cold, the snob and elite, but young, active and festive."... I've been cruising for some time. I've yet to run across these old, cold, snob, elitist that you mention. Where are they?:confused:

Again, RCI has been going after the younger family demographics since they launched Voyager in 1999 (Did your kids like it). This is ten years later. There isn't anything new here.... other that a lousy commericial.

Have you read this board??????

I asked Am I the only one because no one else (maybe out of fear, because now I need a 12 step program) had said they liked it. Some had taken it has a personal reflection on them (still don't get that). The rest of what I said when into detail about what I LIKED and how EXCITED I was (you never shared my joy). To find the old, cold, snob, and elitist spend a few minutes reading a tipping thread. Take a moment to read a comparison between RCCL and Carnival. Take a minute and see how some of these people treat the staff on the ship mainly because they are minorities. Read through a few of the reviews and see how people describe the place they have been and the people they encounter. I sailed RCCL first in 1995 and several years after. My experience was they didn't cater to children, but maybe they did to yours. How was RCCL to your kids, then and now?

I realize reviews or posts have as much to do with the place or question as the person responding. Regardless of the topic, you missed the fact I was excited about planning a vacation due to this ad. Maybe the way you missed the fact of how unkind and rude some of your fellow cruisers can be on the board or on deck. To find out.....stop, listen, read. I was wrong about RCCL having older cruisers. Anyone I would consider older was brought up in a time when kind words were given to soften cold hearts. At 44 I consider myself older but with young children (10 and 13). I first sailed RCCL at 29, then most of the crowd was over 40, married forever with grown kids. If anyone read my post to imply you were dumb or stupid for not getting it, that was not my intent. I do sincerely apologize. I am fully and totally clear on the words and intent of some who responded.

Pauline

I wonder if maybe what got folks attention with your thread is the initial line "am I the only person who gets it" like maybe all the rest of us are too dumb to figure this all out?

That's exactly how I read it.

"Dear stupid fellow poster......"

Yada yaad daya.....

You know, that's exactly what I thought on my last cruise (which ironically was NOT with Royal!) The opportunity presented itself for a wee little shipboard romance, which I declined, and then later that night thought - WHY NOT? So I found that gentleman again the next day and told him I'd reconsidered!

Man, that was a fun vacation!

Similar experience, not exactly, exactly:D. We are sailing on Princess for our anniversary and first vacation without the kids. We are usually limited to the inside cabin because of the time we travel, then times four. I saw the commercial, WHY NOT and decided WHY NOT go for the balcony. Now we are booked in the aft balcony and sail in 44 days, February 14th. The WHY NOT appealed to me because it's a question I asked myself and friends. We live within 90 minutes of 2 ports, WHY NOT try a cruise, at least once, in my case another one. Since then many have taken their first cruise and us 3 in 16 months. WHY NOT is the reason we travel, now with the kids, instead of later, so

Why not cruise before you are old and cold

Why not cruise before you are sick and worn

Why not cruise before your kids are grown

Why not cruise before your mortgage is old

Why not cruise and enjoy things at sea you thought only possible on land

Why not cruise while you can still dance with the band

Too many people I know have waited and did not get as much out of the experience so WHY NOT NOW. The Why Not is really about who I am, some of the responses are clearly about who they are.

Pauline

I think the new ads are chessy! Personally I don't care for making the cruise ships like Disney World vacations, with rock climbing walls, ice skating and so forth. Some of that is ok, but if I want a vacation where I am doing, doing, doing and not happy just to sit and relax and enjoy the view then I should stay on land. I do not want my cruise vacation to be like a land vacation.........that is why I like to cruise..

I like to go dancing at night and have a few drinks and not have to worry about getting a DUI driving home from the club! And I can go to different clubs each night, Dancing on Monday, Piano bar on Tuesday, Comedy Club on Wednesday, Disco on Thursday, Latino music on Friday and never have to get in my car!!!

I like walking the deck in the moonlight with my husband gazing out together as the moon reflects off the water while the splashing of the waves against the ship is like music to our ears.

I like laying on the beach in Cozumel one day soaking up the sun and drinking Dos Equis and cave tubing down the river in the rain forest of Belize the next.

I like dressing for dinner in the dining room or just slipping in some shorts and eating at the WJ if I choose. Instead of debating on which restaurant we want to drive to!

I like sitting by the pool and having someone wait on me hand and foot.

I like to watch the silly games they play on board....won't find those at a land based hotel.

I like enjoying the company of folks we meet during the week and hit it off with, but don't find it a problem never running into ones we met and didn't like.

I like sitting on my balcony and having a different view everyday.

I like the relaxed easygoing soothing routine of a cruise. I don't want it to be like a land vacation......so I don't say Why Not.....I say when do we go!!!! :D

Perhaps I am just being difficult and slow to adapt to this change, but that is not typical of me.

I have been cruising with RCI for 21 years and have been through many different ad campaigns. I have always stopped and watched the ads with excitement every time one came on TV. I must say I am a huge fan of the Lust for Life ads and the Get Out There ad campaign but I fondly remember the old Lauren Bacall ads.

That said - I can not sit through one of the Why Not ads. Infact I fast forward them. I find them very boring. I have tried to be objective and look at them from the point of view of a person that has never cruised. I must say that these ads would NOT make me run to a phone and book a cruise. In fact, I think I might call a different cruise line.

I don't think I like the cartoon aspect of the ads. I want to see real people, on real ships, doing real things, having real fun. WHY NOT show real people doing things that you can do on land in an exciting way.

Just my opinion. I am still loyal to Royal. I have B2B cruises booked for March 09 and Oasis for Feb. 2010. Can't wait to get out there - but will continue to skip the boring Nation of Why Not ads.

Why didn't you ask if anybody else liked the " NATION OF WHY NOT'' , instead of "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT IT "

If you were the only one that got it, I would have to say the ad didn't work out too well!!!![/quote]

First, in my moment of true, sincere, excitement I may had chosen the wrong words for the very positive, kind hearted, posters on this board to respond to. However, I don't think responding kindly has anything to do with others but oneself. You just said the ad did not work for you. There was nothing unkind or anything to take away from the fact that it worked for me. Unless my Marketing Professor was wrong, for a campaign to be successful you need ONE person to truly get it. With publicity, he said it like S**, as long as you are getting some, it's a good thing. This campaign has ONE person and have people talking. According to Marketing 101....job well done. Not sure for some of stockholder bottom line. We all know people and business have different agendas. The question could have been answered with a KIND yes, or NO...kinda like the way you did. So thank you, as a show of appreciation for your KIND response.

That's exactly how I read it.

"Dear stupid fellow poster......"

Yada yaad daya.....

Then I sincerely apologize. That honestly was not my intent. I got excited about getting 'it' because I don't watch a lot of commercials. I was glad the light bulb finally went off in my head. Unfortunately this gave some of the posters permission to do exactly what they take pride in doing, hidden behind a computer screen. I do apologize if the post offended anyone.

Wow, some folks are really getting worked up over a stupid commercial. :eek:

Unless I'm watching a live event like football, I usually set my DVR to record shows and skip right through the commercials anyway.

Hey Gordon Happy New Year to ya! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Dave and I will be jumping on ship next Monday....and can not wait to start the New Year off that way! We are up to Platinum status already and want to hit Gold by this summer may not do it but love trying!!! :D

Then I sincerely apologize. That honestly was not my intent. I got excited about getting 'it' because I don't watch a lot of commercials. I was glad the light bulb finally went off in my head. Unfortunately this gave some of the posters permission to do exactly what they take pride in doing, hidden behind a computer screen. I do apologize if the post offended anyone.

Hey, my advice is don't worry about it!!! Pretend you are on on a cruise and just let it roll off your back! I have learned you can not always take things to personally on these boards you will always have someone throwing stones no matter what! :D

Hey Gordon Happy New Year to ya! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Dave and I will be jumping on ship next Monday....and can not wait to start the New Year off that way! We are up to Platinum status already and want to hit Gold by this summer may not do it but love trying!!! :D

Have fun on the Granduer. Let me know how she is.

You must be on your way to Diamond if you are Platinum. That is the next step and it's fun getting there.:):D

Why not shove kids out of the way in the Windjammer to get your lunch first?

Why not pee in the pool?

Why not smoke in the dining room?

Why not pinch the Captain's butt when you get your photo taken with him?

Honestly, the "Why Not" campaign feels to me like they are trying to appeal to those folks who are frequently bashed on these boards - the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I damn well please" folks - who can't seem to abide by even the most basic guidelines for courtesy to their fellow passengers.

I don't know if this ad campaign will be more effective that the old "Get Out There" campaign, but I no longer re-wind the Tivo to watch RC commercials.

Why not shove kids out of the way in the Windjammer to get your lunch first?

Why not pee in the pool?

Why not smoke in the dining room?

Why not pinch the Captain's butt when you get your photo taken with him?

Why not tip the recommended amount:D

Honestly' date=' the "Why Not" campaign feels to me like they are trying to appeal to those folks who are frequently bashed on these boards - the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I damn well please" folks - who can't seem to abide by even the most basic guidelines for courtesy to their fellow passengers.

I don't know if this ad campaign will be more effective that the old "Get Out There" campaign, but I no longer re-wind the Tivo to watch RC commercials.[/quote']

Why NOT be positive. The glass will forever be half empty to some while half full to others. Until I read the negative things here, not one crossed my mind with WHY NOT. It's about who we really are behind the computer screen

Why not offer to take a couple's picture

Why not walk around with a smile for the staff, you are on vacation not them

Why not tip the recommended amount because the extra buck will mean more to them than to you

Why not beware of our children because parenting matters even on a ship

Why not get to you assigned dinner on time because others are waiting

Why not see the glass as half full instead of half empty. Maybe the why not should be asked not about our vacation but ourselves. Most WHY NOT be kind.

I suspect this ad campaign is really designed for introducing Oasis of the Seas as something other than just a larger cruise ship. Right now, this ad campaign doesn't seem to make sense but think of the design of Oasis and how many elements could be highlighted with the "why not" ads.

RCCL will continue to try and differentiate itself from the other cruise lines by highlighting how you not only get the normal cruise experience but you also get these things which normally you don't associate with cruising. A good approach but it will be interesting to see how well it works with the economy doing so poorly.

I suspect this ad campaign is really designed for introducing Oasis of the Seas as something other than just a larger cruise ship. Right now, this ad campaign doesn't seem to make sense but think of the design of Oasis and how many elements could be highlighted with the "why not" ads.

RCCL will continue to try and differentiate itself from the other cruise lines by highlighting how you not only get the normal cruise experience but you also get these things which normally you don't associate with cruising. A good approach but it will be interesting to see how well it works with the economy doing so poorly.

If this is true, they why do they have that crowd of geeky looking people crammed in on the aft of the ship at the end of the commercial??:mad:

Bottom line, the new add campaign just flat stinks and RCI's old add agency was snapped up by Carnival. Tells you something doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Now, on my next cruise I'm going to the duty free store, buy a couple of bottles of booze and then start walking toward my cabin, bottles in hand. When stopped my only reply is going to be "Why Not?" :eek:

Aubie

if this is true, they why do they have that crowd of geeky looking people crammed in on the aft of the ship at the end of the commercial??:mad:

bottom line, the new add campaign just flat stinks and rci's old add agency was snapped up by carnival. Tells you something doesn't it? :rolleyes:

now, on my next cruise i'm going to the duty free store, buy a couple of bottles of booze and then start walking toward my cabin, bottles in hand. When stopped my only reply is going to be "why not?" :eek:

aubie

lol!!:D:D:D

If this is true, they why do they have that crowd of geeky looking people crammed in on the aft of the ship at the end of the commercial??:mad:

Bottom line, the new add campaign just flat stinks and RCI's old add agency was snapped up by Carnival. Tells you something doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Now, on my next cruise I'm going to the duty free store, buy a couple of bottles of booze and then start walking toward my cabin, bottles in hand. When stopped my only reply is going to be "Why Not?" :eek:

Aubie

Why not offer to do something GOOD. WHY NOT something KIND. WHY NOT something CLASSY (rumrunners :D) There are 2 sides to the same coin....time to flip it.

Kooljamming, I just saw where you live(I know Hemet has grown but truly you are removed from the rat race)......now I get why you get, WHY NOT :D

I am just teasing, of course...keep your positive attitude..enjoy your

Why not cruise if you book it.

Hmmmm, I know you didn't go there with me:D:D

I am was born and raised in Jamaica. So my vibe and attitude is from a place where people laugh out loud. Even when you don't like the place, once you get to know the people, many appreciate the spirit. Everyday I get up I feel blessed. I am 90 minutes from 2 ports, an hour from the beach, the mountain and the desert. Today I am wearing t-shirt and shorts. WHY NOT be happy, mon. I read this board and it makes me a better Christan. I spend a lot of time praying not to run across the nay-sayers and not tippers on my precious week of vacation. Sorry but how can I not be positive when I have Jamaican heritage, Hemet residence, and best of all, the good Lord on my side. To add to all this blessing and good fortune...A New Nation

One under God and the other under RCCL.

Happy New Year.

Pauline

I get the new advertising campaign, and while it is WAY better than Carnival's, I still like the older one's better.

I always used to laugh at the idea that the cruise was the only way to get the daughter to smile. It reminded me of when I was a teenager and I HATED family vacations. If only my parents had taken me on a cruise!!!:p

Archived