Am I the Only Person who Simply Gets the Nation of Why Not?

You shouldn't have to think so hard to interpret the meaning behind an ad campaign. I like the old "Lust for Life" theme and the "Get Out There" motto. Anytime I heard the ad come on the television I would stop what I was doing to watch, no matter how many times I had seen that particular ad. It would take me back to our many cruises and I would start to think about the excursions I would take if I sailed to say Alaska or Europe. I almost changed my ringtone to the old theme song until I heard the rest of the lyrics:cool:.

I'm sure there are a good number of people who like the new ad, but seeing the people standing on the ship supposedly in their swimsuits looks alot like the old LIfe Cereal box with people waving their spoons in the air.

I think the ad agency should try again.

Advertising does not get people who are already familiar with a product to leave. That is determined by personal experience and whether or not they like the product. This new ad will either get new people to try cruising with RCI or it won't. THAT is what determines sucessful marketing. The point people are making is that it would have done nothing to attract us to RCI if we were not already familiar with the product.

And further more, I think that your basic premise is off the mark. RCI was already going after the younger generation and families with its previous add campaigns. (Sorry, they did not work as well for ME, but I assume it worked for your family) You make it sound like this is some new direction that RCI is going in. It is not. It also appears that you may be a bit off the mark in just what age demographic you think that you are posting with on these boards (what is the demographic. I assume older and a bit more snobbish)

RCI does not need some computer generated image and animation of a ship in order to sell itself. (they did they use it) They have the real thing. And the real thing is far better than anything depicted in the commercials. (better is subjective, I do believe. Maybe you need to convince them of what they already have)

My gosh, obviously the ad campaign did more for me wanting to take a cruise with RCCL than its loyal followers. MY POINT WAS TO SAY THIS ADD WORKED FOR ME. I am no expert on what RCCL has or doesn't, expect for this ad. What wrong with saying, this ad got ME excited. I don't know about the age demographics but my God I am fully aware of the attitude. I simply wanted to say as a young parent this ad got me booking. I guess that point got missed, big time. Still thanks RCCL for getting my attention:D

My gosh, obviously the ad campaign did more for me wanting to take a cruise with RCCL than its loyal followers. MY POINT WAS TO SAY THIS ADD WORKED FOR ME. I am no expert on what RCCL has or doesn't, expect for this ad. What wrong with saying, this ad got ME excited. I don't know about the age demographics but my God I am fully aware of the attitude. I simply wanted to say as a young parent this ad got me booking. I guess that point got missed, big time. Still thanks RCCL for getting my attention:D

Everybody's just teasing ya....You're entitled to like the ad. :D

Kooljamming, are you the only one to get it?????? I guess so.

How many cruises have you been on? Do you really think the "old and retired" who now already spend mucho buckos on RC are going to be impressed with this ad? How many young parents with families do you really think this ad is going to impress? With todays economy ?

I get it too.....but I think it is dumb!!!!!

I figure that I am in the demographic that RCCL is trying to attract = young with expendable income, with the possibility of many years of cruising ahead of me. Yet, this ad series does nothing for me and if I weren't already an RCCL cruiser it would not make me think positively about RCCL. To me the slogan Why Not? Sounds like why not settle for RCCL instead of here is why you should choose RCCL - two very different attitudes.

Kooljamming, are you the only one to get it?????? I guess so.

How many cruises have you been on? I have lost track. I started with RCCL 15 years ago. I have done about 6 with them, then stopped. We recently did 2 with Carnival with the kids. I am booked for one in February, without the kids, with Princess. Maybe about 10 in the last 15 years. Add to this land A/I vacations in Mexico and Jamaica.

Do you really think the "old and retired" who now already spend mucho buckos on RC are going to be impressed with this ad?

Absolutely not. From reading this board I don't think some will be happy with anyone who isn't just like them...ANYONE. What mucho buckos...cruising is still the best VALUE vacation around. If your 'old and retired', you could cruise for next to nothing. Trying doing the same thing when kids are out of school. The price of their suite in the off season, could be our inside cabin in the summer.

How many young parents with families do you really think this ad is going to impress? With todays economy ?

How many young families, 4 for sure. We were thinking about Carnival Splendor with the kids but is kind of thinking Why Not RCCL. As for today's economy, you have totally missed the fact that there is NO better time.....So WHY NOT

I get it too.....but I think it is dumb!!!!!

You answered my original question, so thanks. Why all the questions? Was it some kind of measurement to judge me? Did I pass how could you like the dumb ad. test?

Omgosh, I got the message. It's about changing the way I think about a cruise vacation. It's taking what I thought could only happen on land aboard the ship. I don't have to choose land over sea because I am no longer limited. So, WHY NOT do the things you always wanted to do but in the place least likely.....on a cruise vacation. No longer is cruising about being old and cold, the snob and elite, but young, active and festive. There are no boring imagines of people doing the 'ordinary' cruise things because they were busy doing the extra-ordinary. I have even decided to become a person of why not. Why not go to the gym as promised, book the balcony because the view is worth it, take the kids because they won't forget it, use the good China because it's there....WHY NOT!

If successful marketing is about selling, then I am sold. I will gladly join the nation of why not. Why not become the person and do the things you always dream of?

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/

Just curious how much are you getting paid by JWT [RCI's new ad agency] for all this cheerleading?:confused:

Just curious how much are you getting paid by JWT [RCI's new ad agency] for all this cheerleading?:confused:

Is it possible for someone to like something and say it without their intent being questioned. If some of you read the ad as negative, maybe the agency just spent a bit of time analyzing this board. Maybe they thought they were appealing to some of your vibe and attitude. Is it possible for you to say, even though the ad didn't work for me, I am happy you are excited about it. Why be so quick to rob someone of a simple moment of joy. WHY NOT, smile and say, glad it worked for you.

Is it possible for someone to like something and say it without their intent being questioned. If some of you read the ad as negative, maybe the agency just spent a bit of time analyzing this board. Maybe they thought they were appealing to some of your vibe and attitude. Is it possible for you to say, even though the ad didn't work for me, I am happy you are excited about it. Why be so quick to rob someone of a simple moment of joy. WHY NOT, smile and say, glad it worked for you.

I remember years ago, sitting in marketing class hearing the prof saying that the ad had to get through to that one person.......well I'm glad I can now say that I know that one person... you....;)

A word of advice.... don't ever write a review on CC....;) "They'll find you!"

I thought the ad was ok. I would have left out the YES in different languages and the passengers waving the little flags. I would have made changes but overall I thought it had appeal. My grandchildren liked it and I sensed they would.

I know the vast majority of posters on these boards disliked it and many immensely so. I respect your opinions but I also believe kooljamming has the right to his views as well. Also I'm glad to see anyone genuinely happy lately with all the bad news I have heard this week (several young moms with metastasis cancer etc). Please let's give kooljamming a break. It is just a commercial. His opinion should be valued just as much as anyone elses would.

Laura

I don't mind the actual slogan "Why not", but I think the actual product is presented badly. When they talk about rock climbing, IMO, it would've been better to actually SHOW people climbing the rock wall on one of the Freedom ships, rather than the giant cartoon rock wall on the animated ship. Just stuff like that.

Also, I think some better music in the background would've been more effective.

For the end of the commercial, I think it would've been cool to end it with "Why not...Get out there!" That way, it's the best of both worlds. Also, I don't like the "nation" idea. It seems to politically-inclined to me. I would've liked to see more of a "World of Royal Caribbean" rather than "nation". Anyway, just my opinion. It's also my opinion that compared to Carnival's new ads, Royal's seem perfect. I still love AIDA's ads the best! I just wish they would begin to target the American market...my German isn't good enough!

Kooljamming is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that.

Although, I really don't think RCI is the cruise line that needs to worry about being percieved as for "snobs" or "cruising elite".

WHY NOT enjoy your land favorites at sea? In the Nation of Why Not, you no longer have to choose:D It's a new nation, under RCCL:p

You, have a good point.

Just have always viewed a cruise ship as my mode of transportation, I am a port person, what can I say?

On Oct. cruise with RCI on NOS I rock climbed, in-lined and ice skated, played mini golf etc........but on those windy, rainy and rough sea days many of these activities are not available.

So What does one do in the Nation of why not when the weather does not cooperate?:D

I remember years ago, sitting in marketing class hearing the prof saying that the ad had to get through to that one person.......well I'm glad I can now say that I know that one person... you....;)

A word of advice.... don't ever write a review on CC....;) "They'll find you!"

Thanks for the word of advice. I would not even think about it. We had the same marketing prof. In each class he would also say, "publicity is like S*X, as long as you are getting some, it's a good thing":D I am about ready for a 12 step program. Hi, my name is Pauline. I am so sorry to be the one that got the ad. I had a weak moment and it hit a cord. I saw all the things I love to do in one place, in one moment, and got happy.

I am not saying this is the best ad on the face on the earth or if it's better or worse than the others. I saw the WHY NOT as not setting limits.

Pauline

You, have a good point.

Just have always viewed a cruise ship as my mode of transportation, I am a port person, what can I say?

On Oct. cruise with RCI on NOS I rock climbed, in-lined and ice skated, played mini golf etc........but on those windy, rainy and rough sea days many of these activities are not available.

So What does one do in the Nation of why not when the weather does not cooperate?:D

In this nation there is always something to do. You are only limited by your imagination, unlike any other place. It's kind of scary to think about, but in one week you have the opportunity to combine the activities of 2 or 3 land vacations. As a family we spend a lot of time doing vacations in different places. WHY NOT is making me think about how we can do then differently. This may be more appealing if you sail the same itinerary frequently. I promise, I promise, I don't work for the ad agency:D

Pauline

Ive seen the commercial a bunch of times, and everytime i just think of how i like the old RCI commercials better.

Now that you've broke it down though, i understand it and yeah, it is a pretty cool concept.

Maybe they kind of missed the mark in the easement of understanding it though.

That, or maybe im just alot dumber than i though...:p

I miss the old ones too.

I just thought the commercials meant like "why not take a chance and take a cruise?"

I thought the ad was ok. I would have left out the YES in different languages and the passengers waving the little flags. I would have made changes but overall I thought it had appeal. My grandchildren liked it and I sensed they would.

I know the vast majority of posters on these boards disliked it and many immensely so. I respect your opinions but I also believe kooljamming has the right to his views as well. Also I'm glad to see anyone genuinely happy lately with all the bad news I have heard this week (several young moms with metastasis cancer etc). Please let's give kooljamming a break. It is just a commercial. His opinion should be valued just as much as anyone elses would.

Laura

Thank you. I was genuinely happy. I assume these are shareholders with a vested interest or worse just like being mean. I imagine the ad is a reflection of some, so they are personally affected by it. I don't get half the multi million dollar Super Bowl commercials but I don't see anyone fussing over them. I guess I should apologize for liking something that has obviously caused others so much pain and embarrassment. Why else would there be a need to question my association, intent, and history for merely saying, hi I got the message? Was there a need to express how dumb and chessy the message that I liked was, or asked how long I have cruised? I am not an investor, a true fan or critic of these lines. I enjoyed RCCL years ago, Carnival recently with the kids and soon Princess for something new. I will do 3 cruises in 16 months, so I am looking for ways to change what I like to do. For a moment the WHY NOT ad worked, but not for others who have cruised longer and spent more. Definitely not for those who have forgotten this is not a devoted spouse or their sick child. WHY NOT appreciate the fact others/one liked it even when they don't. Oh that would be kind and this is CC!

Pauline

I wonder if maybe what got folks attention with your thread is the initial line "am I the only person who gets it" like maybe all the rest of us are too dumb to figure this all out? We get it. We don't like it. Also....your words "No longer is cruising about being old and cold, the snob and elite, but young, active and festive."... I've been cruising for some time. I've yet to run across these old, cold, snob, elitist that you mention. Where are they?:confused:

Again, RCI has been going after the younger family demographics since they launched Voyager in 1999. This is ten years later. There isn't anything new here.... other that a lousy commericial.

Archived