Puerto Limon - Greenway tours vs Oscar Brown tours vs Danilo Tours

JIMDSB2

Just wondering which tour company would be the best for a full day tour of Costa Rica??

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Thank You

Charlie Soto, Okey Dokey Tours and get Ray and Stayton! We did the Aquavera rainforest and numberous other sights and we were gone all day. It was the BEST Ever tour! Nancie

excerpt from longer post:

Costa Rica: We had set up a tour with Oscar Brown and his sister Carol (http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/), both wonderful people. For us, it was spectacular. We had alerted them ahead of time, that we were celebrating birthdays and an anniversary, so we were fortunate to have Oscar himself lead our group. (As in Aruba, my advice is: if you’re expecting limousines and kid gloves, then Oscar is not for you. If you want an impresario expert in the context of his homeland, who knows the local conditions, what activity to do first, second, and last, who’s the best for a particular activity, where is it safe and not safe, who are the experts, then Oscar is for you.) The van he brought was big enough for us all, stocked with beer and soft drinks. The road westward out of Limon is excellent. Police spotted at intervals along the way. Many banana plantations. Oscar stopped at a roadside stand, and bought small bananas, and guanabanas (soursop) for us to taste. Guanabanas are textured, green football-sized fruits with white fibrous flesh. Never had it before. VERY juicy; which would explain why most ‘net info says it’s used in juices and smoothies.

Oscar first drove us to Siquirres, then up a rougher road to the put-in for a morning whitewater rafting trip on the Reventazon River, Class III-IV this time of year. Water was a little low, as the dam operators had been ‘off’ the previous couple of days, and the dam releases were uncontrolled and low, so scouting was required (some dangerous holes). The trip was led by Alex and Alvaro and Jimmy. Jimmy was in the support kayak, while Alex and Alvaro captained the two six-person rafts. We’ve rafted the Class IV-V North Yuba River in California, and other lower class rivers, and I can tell you Alex Segura and Alvaro were OUTSTANDING rivermen. Alex is on the Costa Rican national whitewater rafting team (Alvaro may be, too). This was a HUGE blast, even for my 80 year-old father.

We then drove back toward Limon, then up into the hills, to Brisas de la Jungla, to do ziplining. It was great. Again, despite trepidation, my father did it, too. It was literally a rush for all, 19 to 80. The 17 to 18 year-old crew members were clean cut, friendly, helpful, and professional. We saw sloths. Lunch was included, as was a surprise treat supplied by Oscar’s sister Carol.

Oscar was terrific, start to finish. He delivered everything promised, and more. Highlight of the entire trip (although the ATV tour on Aruba was pretty neat, too!)

We used Danillo Hill onour cruise over Christmas. He was waiting for us at the pier. We went on the 1 hour drive right up to the water. Carnival parked at the top of the hill because the bus is so big and all their passengers there had to walk down probably a mile at least. I did NOT read that in the Carnival trip info. I was so glad we booked with Danillo. We were back to the ship with plenty of time and learned alot about Costa Rica from our 1 hour drive to the white water rafting. OMG this is a fun fun excursion for families. We have a 13 & 17 year old and the four of us had a blast!!

• 5 weeks later...
excerpt from longer post:

Costa Rica: We had set up a tour with Oscar Brown and his sister Carol (http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/), both wonderful people. For us, it was spectacular. We had alerted them ahead of time, that we were celebrating birthdays and an anniversary, so we were fortunate to have Oscar himself lead our group. (As in Aruba, my advice is: if you’re expecting limousines and kid gloves, then Oscar is not for you. If you want an impresario expert in the context of his homeland, who knows the local conditions, what activity to do first, second, and last, who’s the best for a particular activity, where is it safe and not safe, who are the experts, then Oscar is for you.) The van he brought was big enough for us all, stocked with beer and soft drinks. The road westward out of Limon is excellent. Police spotted at intervals along the way. Many banana plantations. Oscar stopped at a roadside stand, and bought small bananas, and guanabanas (soursop) for us to taste. Guanabanas are textured, green football-sized fruits with white fibrous flesh. Never had it before. VERY juicy; which would explain why most ‘net info says it’s used in juices and smoothies.

Oscar first drove us to Siquirres, then up a rougher road to the put-in for a morning whitewater rafting trip on the Reventazon River, Class III-IV this time of year. Water was a little low, as the dam operators had been ‘off’ the previous couple of days, and the dam releases were uncontrolled and low, so scouting was required (some dangerous holes). The trip was led by Alex and Alvaro and Jimmy. Jimmy was in the support kayak, while Alex and Alvaro captained the two six-person rafts. We’ve rafted the Class IV-V North Yuba River in California, and other lower class rivers, and I can tell you Alex Segura and Alvaro were OUTSTANDING rivermen. Alex is on the Costa Rican national whitewater rafting team (Alvaro may be, too). This was a HUGE blast, even for my 80 year-old father.

We then drove back toward Limon, then up into the hills, to Brisas de la Jungla, to do ziplining. It was great. Again, despite trepidation, my father did it, too. It was literally a rush for all, 19 to 80. The 17 to 18 year-old crew members were clean cut, friendly, helpful, and professional. We saw sloths. Lunch was included, as was a surprise treat supplied by Oscar’s sister Carol.

Oscar was terrific, start to finish. He delivered everything promised, and more. Highlight of the entire trip (although the ATV tour on Aruba was pretty neat, too!)

We are scheduled for this tour next month. My only concern in the time element. Did you have any problems making it back to the ship in time?

Just let Oscar know what time you are supposed to be back on the ship. He will make sure you get back in time. If you are worried about anything, just ask him to have you back earlier. He is such a super guide, he kept us dry on our last tour with him, it was raining every where.

We have used him several times, and recommended him for years. We were some of his first customers in 2004. Time runs by so fast I might have been earlier.

Just let Oscar know what time you are supposed to be back on the ship. He will make sure you get back in time. If you are worried about anything, just ask him to have you back earlier. He is such a super guide, he kept us dry on our last tour with him, it was raining every where.

We have used him several times, and recommended him for years. We were some of his first customers in 2004. Time runs by so fast I might have been earlier.

Thanks for the reasssurance!

Archived