Gem 01/10

mytern2

We're debating booking the Gem out of New York in January '10. It will be our second cruise. We like the idea of just being able to take the train to NY from Boston, alleviating a lot of 'will the flight get in' angst. I'm sure there will be a lot on cold weather activities planned. We'd appreciate any input. TIA!

We just returned from the same itinerary & we took the train from the NJ Shore to Penn Station. Aside from the weather hindering us dragging our bags into the station, it was extremely smooth travelling. Taxis are plentiful going & coming, and to not have to worry about leaving your car or arranging some other form of transportation, it was really a breeze.

The only suggestion we got (and took) was when we returned home, go across the street from the ship to get a taxi. Otherwise, you could wait for a while for one to arrive to take you back to the train. There is a large crush of "locals" getting off the ship at the same time, and taxis are not plentiful at the port.

Seriously consider this method of getting to the port. It worked well for us (we pre-purchased our round-trip train tickets as well so no waiting at the counter to buy the return trip - that could be scary if you only have 10 minutes to avoid missing your train & having to wait 2 additional hours for another:eek:)

We're debating booking the Gem out of New York in January '10. It will be our second cruise. We like the idea of just being able to take the train to NY from Boston, alleviating a lot of 'will the flight get in' angst. I'm sure there will be a lot on cold weather activities planned. We'd appreciate any input. TIA!

We just got off the Gem on Dec. 13th. It was cold the first day and a half. I don't know what you mean about cold weather activities. They really don't use the decks if it's cold. All activities are indoors. You can be one of the brave and use the hot tubs and pool, if open. :D At some point even deck 7 was closed because of strong winds and rough seas. Sorry! You'll enjoy yourselves just the same.

I don't know what you mean about cold weather activities.

We want to know what activities are typically planned for those couple of days at sea when we do not envision masquerading as polar bears. lol.

We are beginning to get excited, even though its over a year away. I love investigating all the tips!

I have taken that itenerary 2x. I'm jealous. Friends are leaving on it in 5 days & we are staying home. :(

That said, leaving from NYC is so convenient. We're spoiled.

Boarding is a bit of a nightmare b/c there is limited seating in the buffet dining room. They don't have the whole outside. Although last year it was in the 60's & we could sit outside. All the NYers were thrilled; the poor crew was bundled up shaking their heads at the nutty passangers who wanted to sit outside in the "cold".

The year before we headed straight to an empty bar that was serving. We dropped the stuff off in the cabins. Friends had an aft balcony so I stopped by the buffet & loaded up a tray w/ cheese crackers & other snack foods on the way up to sail away.

Last year we did sail away from the Star bar -- you can see everything & it's not too crowded. A few hearty souls braved the outside. I ran out to take a picture of the statue of liberty. They were playing Lee *********'s I'm Proud to be an American & I started crying b/c the loudest sing along voices were heavily accented broken English.

There are all sorts of on board activities during the 2 sea days. Your meet & greet is usually the 1st day. By the 2nd day it's usually warm enough to sit by the pool. I hang out in the library & read that 1st day. The floor to ceiling windows are great for feeling like you are outside. IMHO the next best views are the buffet dining room & Spinnaker's lounge.

By the time we sail home, I hate the last sea day. I'm not keen on sea days to begin with. It's too cold to go outside & there's no sense of the vacation starting. Last year it was rocky. It's still fun & we're looking forward to doing it again. Maybe we'll make it back for '10 with you. :)

I have taken that itenerary 2x. I'm jealous. Friends are leaving on it in 5 days & we are staying home. :(

It's still fun & we're looking forward to doing it again. Maybe we'll make it back for '10 with you. :)

Hello, Friend! :D

I agree with everything Trish has said. This upcoming Gem sailing will be the third time I've sailed out of NYC in January. Nothing like heading south on the open seas when it's cold and snowy up north! It's a great way to break up the winter.

It can be quite rocky from Cape Hatteras northward. It can also be smooth. You never really know until you're there. Just make sure you take your Bonine or other preferred anti-seasickness meds, then party on! ;)

I took Amtrak from Boston to NYC last year after the Gem's inaugural trans-Atlantic voyage. It was ~very~ easy, and much more reliable than other forms of transportation during bad weather. There was also a porter who helped me with my bags in Boston, but no porters in NYC. :( It's just a quick cab ride from Penn Station to the pier.

It can be quite rocky from Cape Hatteras northward. It can also be smooth. You never really know until you're there. Just make sure you take your Bonine or other preferred anti-seasickness meds, then party on! ;)

I took Amtrak from Boston to NYC last year after the Gem's inaugural trans-Atlantic voyage. It was ~very~ easy, and much more reliable than other forms of transportation during bad weather. There was also a porter who helped me with my bags in Boston, but no porters in NYC. :( It's just a quick cab ride from Penn Station to the pier.

No worries about getting seasick. We liveaboard on Boston Harbor..

And great t hear about the train. I need a fast forward button.

I was on the Gem 12/6-13. It is cold and there are rough seas around the Carolinas. Just a personal opinion, but I would get to the warm sun via a jet - in an hour - rather than make the trip again. But certainly it is interesting sailing out of NYC and we have fabulous shots of us with Lady Liberty at 9 a.m. returning with tans, and freezing! As for activities - nothing special was planned, the usual sail away party, the usual day at sea activities, formal/optional night, the white hot hot hot party. I'd suggest paying to go to the spa, but everyone did that on sea days so it was crowded.

We booked the Gem for February,2010, thought it might be a little warmer then January.

I'm not really sure if that's the case. I could be wrong but I think the average daytime high temp in February in NYC is lower than January.

There is also a bus that runs from South Station (with stops in Prov & New Haven) directly to the cruise ship terminal that will save energy from carting bags between train and taxi.

The bus is entertainment tours. If you do a search of entertainment tours on this forum you will find additional information

Archived