Car seats & St. Thomas

Olive

We are headed off on our first cruise with our son (he's 17 mos., and we are taking him on our first NCL cruise). We have been to St. Thomas on many prior cruises, but this will be a different experience. I called NCL to find out about transportation on different excusrions at each port (helpful suggestion from this board). We have only booked on big buses. St. Thomas did not have an excursion with a normal bus; all of the ones I inquired about were on open air safari buses which I am not comfortable with. Have people had good luck bringing car seats and taking cabs to places on the island? We were thinking of taking him to Megan's Bay. I like the idea of having lounge chairs and umbrellas available so we can relax a little and he can be out of the sun. And thoughts are much appreciated!

St Thomas does have mostly those open air safari style buses, but there are also quite a few cabs that are vans so you should have no problem bringing your car seat. We took our then 1 yr old to Megan's Bay in one of those vans and it worked out fine.

For whatever reason it only just occurred to me - what do you do with the car seat while at the beach? Do you just sit it on the sand? Are there large enough lockers at Megan's Bay? We have a giant (I think) Britax car seat and I only just realized how odd that might be. Any chance anyone has ever found transportation that includes a good car seat?

Olive, We travelled a lot with our oldest. His primary carseat was the Britax, which is just the best. But . . ., it's also extremely heavy, and expensive, and bulky, and just a pain to travel with. Our solution was that we bought a cheap one that was light for travel. I think it cost $40. It still met all DOT requirements but was easier to clean and lug with us. I don't think there is anyplace on Magen's Bay that you can store the Britax.

Archived