NCL Pearl July 2010

cw2go

Okay we have booked and now I need reassurance,

Money is a factor we have set a budget and had several must do excursions. This is not exactly the cruise we first planned but the economy is what it is.

Sun. Seattle 4pm

Mon. Inside passage

Tues Juneau 2pm-10pm Whale Watching

Wed. Skagway 7am-9pm 4x4 mules and White Pass Railway

Thur. Glacier Bay

Fri. Ketchican 6am-1:30pm Bears and or Rainforest

Sat. Victoria BC 6pm-Midnight Carriage Area Tour

Sun. Seattle 8am

I guess what I need to know is that even though it is not all we originally wanted, it will still be an amazing vacation and that NCL will not disappoint. Verses other cruise lines I got a very good rate on a balcony stateroom w/ $250 OBC and a $600 military discount.The air fare will be half of one way multi destinations that our other route would have required. We are easy to please and really not fancy folk, but do like nice meals, pleanty to do for our son and good service. Other than that Alaska is mostly what we want to see.

I have read over so many of these boards and can't seem to get a real feel for NCL, freestyle appeals to us since the port times are so inconsistant but many complain about the food and service. For those of you who have done Alaska/NCL I would love your encouragement. We have sailed several times but only with RCCL so that is the reason for my concern.

Thank you for all your input,

Patty

we did that same route when the NCL star was doing it...had several family members with us. freestyle was great for us...some nights we ate as a family, other nights everyone went their own way. no planning when or where, it just happened that way. never had to wait to be seated, even with all 7 of us.

the younger couple, niece and her DH, would have liked the pearl better, they would have loved the bowling alley and rock climbing.

one of the BEST things, it rained when we were in juneau...we got back from whale watching (orca enterprises, loved it!!!) all wet and cool (late sept '06)..didn't have to worry about missing our dining times, didn't have to hurry to get dressed up. just grabbed a bowl of chili from the blue lagoon (24 diner), then went to dinner after we cleaned/warmed up.

it wasn't the trip we planned either..DH and i wanted to go small ship, more fishing and more critter watching. but when we made it a family trip..NCL was the only way that worked for all of us. (FIL had cancer, wouldn't dress up..had to be able to eat when he needed to)

we did that same route when the NCL star was doing it...had several family members with us. freestyle was great for us...some nights we ate as a family, other nights everyone went their own way. no planning when or where, it just happened that way. never had to wait to be seated, even with all 7 of us.

the younger couple, niece and her DH, would have liked the pearl better, they would have loved the bowling alley and rock climbing.

one of the BEST things, it rained when we were in juneau...we got back from whale watching (orca enterprises, loved it!!!) all wet and cool (late sept '06)..didn't have to worry about missing our dining times, didn't have to hurry to get dressed up. just grabbed a bowl of chili from the blue lagoon (24 diner), then went to dinner after we cleaned/warmed up.

it wasn't the trip we planned either..DH and i wanted to go small ship, more fishing and more critter watching. but when we made it a family trip..NCL was the only way that worked for all of us. (FIL had cancer, wouldn't dress up..had to be able to eat when he needed to)

Thank you so much, for some reason NCL gets a bit of a bad wrap from some. Like you said after all my research I do feel this is the best fit for what we want to do and our finances. Would love to be able to do more and in the future we will. We are cash only people and Alaska can be quite costly so we don't want to break the bank but also don't want to scrap so much we end up having regrets either.

Thanks again,

Patty

I have sailed the Pearl to Alaska. I personally like NCL, and usually either you do or don't. :)

Do NOT expect gourmet meals. Most all special restaurants now charge surcharges, be aware of them. They are always worthwhile to me to go to, and the food is better. Service isn't going to be in the range of fixed dining either. Best would be to have reasonable expectations, and you will get them.

Not sure when in July you are going, but the only "bear" tour option will be Anan. Which, again, is highly recommended by me. You do need to book now, as the permits are extremely limited. "Rainforest" is the inside passage, you don't need a "tour" for it, if you make a little effort for plans.

Okay that is good to know, we are well aware of the restuarants charges and we are fine with that. Since the itenerary is what it is we felt we would be picking up something to eat in port on a few nights anyway.

We are not going until July 25 2010 and you recommend we book bears now?:confused: Also the rainforst I thought it had a petting type area and some walking tour, do you not suggest this? Do you have any suggestions for Victoria BC with our son?

As you can tell I am trying to get the biggest bang for our buck without compromising too much. Thanks, I knew you would be the one to help. You tweaked me along the way when I was orinially planning a land/cruise vacation and I love all your input it is just now we feel that we should cut the cost back a bit and go again in the future to fill in the parts we will be missing.

Again that you,

Patty

Okay that is good to know, we are well aware of the restuarants charges and we are fine with that. Since the itenerary is what it is we felt we would be picking up something to eat in port on a few nights anyway.

We are not going until July 25 2010 and you recommend we book bears now?:confused: Also the rainforst I thought it had a petting type area and some walking tour, do you not suggest this? Do you have any suggestions for Victoria BC with our son?

As you can tell I am trying to get the biggest bang for our buck without compromising too much. Thanks, I knew you would be the one to help. You tweaked me along the way when I was orinially planning a land/cruise vacation and I love all your input it is just now we feel that we should cut the cost back a bit and go again in the future to fill in the parts we will be missing.

Again that you,

Patty

Sorry, no, the bear booking would be for 2009 visits. I am no help in your Ketchikan tour choice, I am one to always like my wildlife wild. :) The penned Caribou just wouldn't make it for me. You need to decide if you want to consider this. As for "rainforest", in my opinion, you can do that for free out of several easily accessable areas. It depends what you are looking for?? If you want detailed flora fauna , then a guided tour, may be a good option?

Frankly, you are way too early to be fixed on tours, take the next year and continue to do your research and read up on tour reviews. I have seen many times, the frequent and many changes posters go through in their choices.

Victoria is too short a port time. :( Any tours of interest?? Walking can give you some views of the city? There is little time, independent for anything outside of the Inner Harbor area.

Again thanks I am going to take your advice and continue researching the excursions portion of our plans but we have made our booking and commitment to NCL, I do feel like we will most enjoy the freestyle than traditional dining for this itenerary. One will never know until they personally give it a shot.

Have a great News Year,:D

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed NCL 4 times, twice to Alaska, once on the Pearl. We loved each and every cruise. Had NO problems with service and food was good. Now, we're not gourmet people, the food on the cruise was fancy for us, but it was all good. And as a reminder, if you don't like what you order, call your waiter and order something else. Don't sit and stew over what you can fix. We almost never eat in the specialties, usually the main dining room. Service can be a little slow sometimes, they are trying to make it not a rushed affair I believe. You're on a cruise, I want to relax and enjoy my meal without having it hurried and making me feel like I can't sit and talk with my table mate(s). The Pearl is a beautiful ship and we can't wait for a chance to sail on her again.

cw2go.......we are looking at the same time frame for an Alaska cruise. Trying to decide between NCL and HAL. May I ask you if you booked directly through NCL or used an agent? I know we can't discuss TA's on here, but we are also looking for a military discount so anything you can tell me would be very helpful. In fact if you want to email me......knoop at suddenlink dot net

I'm booked on the Pearl for May 2009 and I have sailed NCL a lot and prefer it to the traditional dining. Didn't think I would like it after a few set meal times and waiter but I LOVE it.

The food has been good on all the lines I have sailed no complaints. As another poster said if you don't like what you order after you get it, order something else. I don't eat much meat and like the options to do other things.

Also on Alaska and also Hawaii IMO the freestyle is the way to go with the port times.

I just started really searching excursions, I have a ways to go before I decide for sure.

I find reading other reviews on the excursion helps a LOT. You have all of 2009 sailing to read what we all liked or disliked before you need to decide.

The OBC NCL recently gave out helped a lot with the cruise price.

have fun planning.

cw2go.......we are looking at the same time frame for an Alaska cruise. Trying to decide between NCL and HAL. May I ask you if you booked directly through NCL or used an agent? I know we can't discuss TA's on here, but we are also looking for a military discount so anything you can tell me would be very helpful. In fact if you want to email me......knoop at suddenlink dot net

Sorry I have been very busy the past couple of days, Just so everyone knows I do not in any way work for any cruise line or agent. Actually I am a stay at home mother of two.

So with that being said, I have done many months of research... NCL gave me the best deal... I got a Balcony suite, military discount and $400 on board credit. It is r/t Seattle, this was not our first choice but to be honest the view out of Vancouver was not worth the extra cost to us. We figure with the ajdustment of getting on board, dinner and bed we just would not see enough of it to spend another $1800.00 not counting the extra airfair cost.

The military discount was for active duty or retired very easy and all I did was ask.

The OBC was for using a visa for my deposit again very easy. Just make sure to ask. The better cabin selection the better the OBC.

Don't know if you are interested but there are also Aft Balconies available for my cruise... July 25 2010.

I hope this help and I would be happy to answer any other questions,

Patty

ooops!!! Yes I booked directly with NCL via telephone. Sorry I didn't anwer your question...They incresed my OBC from 250 to 400 with my cabin upgrade so in the end I spent less and got a larger cabin.

I'm a goof,:p

Patty

My brother is active air force and is considering going with us on our cruise. Can someone tell me what discount you normally receive active duty, so I can give him an idea. Also will him and his wife need their id card or will just his work.Thanks

You will only need his id with the EOS date for active duty and the discount varies between cruise itenerary but it was 15% for mine. So guess around that ball park. Once he books his cruise he will fill out an Military Appreciation Form and e-mail it to them and then show id's once he is boarding ship.

Have fun planning,:)

Patty

Archived