Best Cabo Whale Watching experience!

luv2travel2beaches

I'm looking for the best Whale watching excursion in Cabo. Opinions? We will be in Cabo the first week of February on the Sapphire Princess. Our major concern is that the ship sales at 2pm and we have to be on board by 1pm. Some of the excursions aren't back in time to meet the tenders in time. Thanks for any input you have!

We like the catamarans for the best whale watching. Our favorite is the Pez Gato (they have a website). They are probably only a 5 minute walk from their dock to the tender pier. They should have a 10am excursion that lasts 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I'm sure they would have you back in time.

A note about return times for tenders. While the ship may say that the last tender leaves at 1pm, that is almost never the case. Generally, there will be a fairly large line for the tenders at the end. They do not cap the line at 1pm. As long as there are people in line, they will continue running tenders out to the ship. As soon as the line stops, they stop running tenders. The only way the last tender would leave at 1pm is if virtually everyone was back onboard the ship very early (not likely in Cabo).

We used Ocean Riders zodiac tours. It was fantastic. We were there late January and saw many humpback and several gray whales close up. Really great excursion. The zodiac's are a fast and fun experience on their own, but second to the spectacular breaching humpback whales....An experience I will never forget.

Because the zodiac's are so fast, we were always the first boat to get to the whales when they were spotted. By the time the other boats and catamarans caught up to us, we had been following the whales for quite some time. I think we had a better experience and actually saw more whales for longer periods because of the speed of the zodiac.

I would like to take a land vacation to Cabo in Feb or March JUST to see the whales again. I will most definitely book with Ocean Riders over any of the other whale tour. The company and drivers were professional, the zodiac's safe and clean. I highly recommend them.

Tallyho, I wonder if you would recommend the zodiac for kids. My children are 7 and 4. We really want to see the whales in Cabo and I am trying to decide the best way for us to do this with the kids. We have looked at a tour with a sailboat as well. Do you think this would work? I appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

We used Ocean Riders zodiac tours. It was fantastic. We were there late January and saw many humpback and several gray whales close up. Really great excursion. The zodiac's are a fast and fun experience on their own, but second to the spectacular breaching humpback whales....An experience I will never forget.

Because the zodiac's are so fast, we were always the first boat to get to the whales when they were spotted. By the time the other boats and catamarans caught up to us, we had been following the whales for quite some time. I think we had a better experience and actually saw more whales for longer periods because of the speed of the zodiac.

I would like to take a land vacation to Cabo in Feb or March JUST to see the whales again. I will most definitely book with Ocean Riders over any of the other whale tour. The company and drivers were professional, the zodiac's safe and clean. I highly recommend them.

I notice you are from Seattle.

How does the whale watching in Cabo compare with the whale watching in that area?

Thanks

Linda

Tally Ho:

I appreciate your comments. Did you prebook w/ Ocean Riders or just do a walk-up? Can you walk to them from pier/dock

We did the zodiac whale tours also, it was awesome. Our guide took us right up to the humpbacks. No other boat came near us. We heard on his radio that the boats we saw in the distance were watching a "couple" of whales while we moved around and saw I think 9 or 10. However, I would not take small children. The zodiac boats are rubber sided, with most people sitting on the sides (no seat belts). We went out about seven miles to see the action. Hubby and I have a sailboat so we were OK with the rough movement (all the while holding on to the little straps on the side of the boat) but the landlubbers among the group were a little scared, and some got sea sick. You can really get beat up by the movement if seas are even a little rough. Grown men were holding on for dear life sometimes. Picture the bucking bulls and you have a little idea what's in store, so no I would never put a small kid in there, since I'd be worried they fly overboard.

Hi all!

Am I correct in assuming that the best whale watching experience would be in Cabo rather than Puerto Vallarta in mid March since it's further north?

Thank you!

;-)

Robin

Linda,

I think that down south here we get the big Gray Whales while up north you see mostly the small black and white Orcas-Killer Whales like Shamu......?

Archived