Transatlantic weather in May

rambler-dhaka

My wife and I will be on the QM2 May 25th 2009 Transatlantic crossing.

Any idea what the seas will be like in May? My last voyage was in July and the Atlantic was calm, and there was no sensation of rolling or pitching at all.

Somewhere between calm and a severe storm.....but more likely calm.....the worst storms tend to be in the Winter - but one of QE2's worst was in June....

We have been on a Transatlantic in late October when it has been fine enough to sunbathe on the decks or your balcony. Part of the exhilaration of the "Crossing" is that you never know what you are going to get at any time of year!:D

Go and be prepared for any weather. The chances are that in the summer you will some sunny days. Whatever, you will have a trip to remember; it is a "Transatlantic Crossing" and not a cruise in the normal sense.

Enjoy every moment.

We went on the QM"'s second transatlantic crossing-was it May 2003? It was our first cruise and we wondered about sea sickness. In actual fact it was like a millpond for the full crossing and the cruise director commented it was the calmest crossing he had had in 25 years. On the other hand the maiden voyage two weeks earlier had severe storms!

Keep in mind that the sea water temperature is at, or just above freezing point for most of the crossing thus the wind is always cool. I second the posts of anywhere from dead calm to very stormy. There is a reason the North Atlantic warrants a special load line marking on merchant ships. Don't worry, just enjoy a one of a kind experience and do spend time on deck (especially at night) enjoying the speed of QM2. Wish I was going too.

We went on the QM"'s second transatlantic crossing-was it May 2003? It was our first cruise and we wondered about sea sickness. In actual fact it was like a millpond for the full crossing and the cruise director commented it was the calmest crossing he had had in 25 years. On the other hand the maiden voyage two weeks earlier had severe storms!

I replied earlier on this thread regrading the weather. We were on the maiden Transatlantic with severe storms. This was our first time on board a ship and we were neither sick nor put off further TA's.

There are many threads about the weather, but I think I am accurate in saying that the very vast majority of posters on this sight, will agree that the QM2 is a wonderfully stable ship. She was built for the Atlantic, so have no fears. Take a Transatlantic and find out what you have been missing on journeys across "the Pond".

• 2 weeks later...
I replied earlier on this thread regrading the weather. We were on the maiden Transatlantic with severe storms. This was our first time on board a ship and we were neither sick nor put off further TA's.

There are many threads about the weather, but I think I am accurate in saying that the very vast majority of posters on this sight, will agree that the QM2 is a wonderfully stable ship. She was built for the Atlantic, so have no fears. Take a Transatlantic and find out what you have been missing on journeys across "the Pond".

QM2 is remarkably stable. On one crossing I was on, the waves were coming from the port side covering the windows in the Britannia dining room - - it was like looking into the window on a washing machine. Yet, the dining room was full of passengers.

With a ship like th Qm2 you will feel very little movement whether the sea is calm or strormy. For practical reasons if you want to sit outside and at least on 1 day you will make it, take a warm coat and hat and tuck in a pair of gloves. Most of the decks have places that will be shielded and you will be able to enjoy watching the sea go by

Having crossed the North Atlantic many times at all times of the year and on vessels as varied as a 9000t tramp powered by a balky Doxford and the smooth pod powered progression of the QM2, I can categorically state that the weather in May will be fine and sunny, grey and dank, warm enough to sunbathe, freezing cold, dry and crisp, pouring down with rain and/or wind driven sleet and snow, calm with zephyr breezes, howling gales, sea like a mill pond, mountainous waves, occasional hailstorms,glorious sunshine and dense fog. Then on the second day........

Gari

Having crossed the North Atlantic many times at all times of the year and on vessels as varied as a 9000t tramp powered by a balky Doxford and the smooth pod powered progression of the QM2, I can categorically state that the weather in May will be fine and sunny, grey and dank, warm enough to sunbathe, freezing cold, dry and crisp, pouring down with rain and/or wind driven sleet and snow, calm with zephyr breezes, howling gales, sea like a mill pond, mountainous waves, occasional hailstorms,glorious sunshine and dense fog. Then on the second day........

Gari

Good One!

Barb - TXTraveler

Archived