Help. 1st NCL Alaskan Cruise and lots of questions...

Coco421

So Just yesterday I was able to book the room we wanted on the Pearl. Off to a great start so far.

I understand there is a 10.00 a day pp tip fee but are there any other fees? I heard somewhere that there is an additional 10.00 pp fee per day for other service fees if so can you tell me what it's for.

Are there any other fees I should know about?

Do they just automatically add these charges to your onboard account?

I'm sure I'll have other questions. I'l post them as I think of them :o

I have spent the day putting together a spreadsheet comparing several Alaskan cruises. Here is my Pearl info. Note that starting today, service charge increased to $12/pp/pd

NCL Pearl

Seattle, Washington --- 4:00 PM

At sea --- ---

Juneau, Alaska 2:00 PM 10:00 PM

Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

At sea --- ---

Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 AM 1:30 PM

Victoria, Canada 6:00 PM 11:30 PM

Seattle, Washington 8:00 AM ---

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review_page2.cfm?ShipID=378

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=378&StartRow=51

Max passenger capacity 2349

Tips/service charge $12/pp/pd

Kids Club min age 24 months

No set dining times

Included, no reservations required

Summer Palace main dining room

Indigo main dining room

Garden Cafe (buffet)

Blue Lagoon (24/7 diner-type food)

Sky High Grill

Room service (limited menu)

Surcharge, reservations recommended

La Cucina (Italian) $10

Le Bistro (French) $15

Cagney's (Steakhouse) $20

Lotus Garden (Asian Fusion) $15

Sushi/sake bar $15

Teppanyaki $25

Mambos (Tex-Mex) $10

We were on the Pearl this past August. She is a beautiful ship and the staff is extremely friendly. We loved the new layout for the buffet, which is where we ate most of the time. We tried the lobster tacos at Mambos one night and they were delicious.

One day we tried to bowl - what a laugh that was. Everyone did poorly but we sure had a good time. Even a little motion of the ship made a difference as the ball when down the alley.

The only charge we had per day per person was for tips. At that time it was $10pp. That sure makes the tipping a lot easier. If we receive a little extra service from someone, we will give them a little extra when we leave.

That was our 5th cruise to Alaska. We are going back again next May for a 2 week on Pacific Princess. She is a smaller ship with only about 700 passengers.

The end of February we are going to Anchorage for the Fur Rendevous. It looks like a winter carnival. We might even have a chance to run with the reindeer! Spain has the bulls but this one looks like more fun.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wanted to let you know...

I spoke with Customer Care when I made my booking, Last week for July 2010

Cagneys is now $25 and Le Bistrol is $20, I hope he was wrong and Rubytue is right but they may have recently made changes.

Smiles:) Patty

From what I have read on here, children pay the full $12. I have nothing to support or refute that. We don't have children, so its not a huge concern. However, the Alaskan research was done with my 2.5-year-old neice in mind, so at some point, I might need to know :)

Coco..welcome to NCL. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Someone will have an answer.

A lot of advise given can be determined by when you are actually sailing. For instance, JMHO, if you sail in May or June, the ship really will not come into play as far as how well you will enjoy the cruise. The reason I say that is there is daylight until 11PM or even midnight, depending on when you go, and then sunrise again at 4AM. With so much AMAZING stuff to see in Alaska, you might not do as much on the ship as you would if you were taking a caribbean cruise. If you are sailing later in the year it does get dark early so what the ship has to offer maybe more important then. Hope that makes some sense.

The pearl is a wonderful ship and I know you are going to love her. While I am honest in saying she isn't our favorite NCL ship, she is the ship with the most onboard activities we have been on with NCL and she is VERY pretty.

Thanks everyone for great info. I'm sure I will think of much more to ask between now and July 2010 :D

We were able to book the 2 aft BA rooms (my parents are coming too) I can't tell you how much I obsessed on being able to book these rooms, lol. This will be out 1st NCL cruise and also 1st cruise with parents. Our kids are pretty excited they're going to Alaska and hopefully get to see some whales :)

I understand there is a 10.00 a day pp tip fee but are there any other fees? I heard somewhere that there is an additional 10.00 pp fee per day for other service fees if so can you tell me what it's for.

Are there any other fees I should know about?

Do they just automatically add these charges to your onboard account?

Just to clarify, there is only one automatic fee, which NCL calls a "Pre-paid Service Fee", which is now (effective today) $12 per person/per day. This service fee essentially takes the place of gratuities, although you are free to tip extra if you feel the service warrants it. The $12 fee is automatically debited to your onboard account on a daily basis.

You will also be charged a 15% gratuity on all bar bills (alcohol, soda, etc.). The suggested tip for spa treatments is 18%. The Kids Club counselors are not included in the general tip pool, so that is extra if you feel it is warranted. Nominal tipping for room service is optional but customary.

Tips on excursions (drivers and guides) is customary. Tipping the porters that take your bags at the pier at embarkation is also customary.

Hope this helps.

I was on the Pearl Dec 7th - 14th and when I had any spa services, they added 18% on to the bill for the gratuity. That is what they do and if you choose to, you can add more. I tipped an additional $ 5.00 because the girl who did my mani/pedi did such a good job.

Thanks everyone for great info. I'm sure I will think of much more to ask between now and July 2010 :D

We were able to book the 2 aft BA rooms (my parents are coming too) I can't tell you how much I obsessed on being able to book these rooms, lol. This will be out 1st NCL cruise and also 1st cruise with parents. Our kids are pretty excited they're going to Alaska and hopefully get to see some whales :)

If you want to see whales, make sure to book a whale watching tour in Juneau. You may see them from the cruise ship -- or you may not. If you're lucky enough to see them, you still won't get nearly the experience that you get from being in a small boat, much closer to the water and the whales. There's nothing like being able to hear the sound of the "blow", and smell the fishy smell associated with it.

I'd do some research over on the Alaska boards to see what you think would be your best option. My preference is for Harv & Marv, who run two small, "six packs" (6 passenger boats) -- but there are plenty of other options available.

Just to clarify, there is only one automatic fee, which NCL calls a "Pre-paid Service Fee", which is now (effective today) $12 per person/per day. This service fee essentially takes the place of gratuities, although you are free to tip extra if you feel the service warrants it. The $12 fee is automatically debited to your onboard account on a daily basis.

You will also be charged a 15% gratuity on all bar bills (alcohol, soda, etc.). The suggested tip for spa treatments is 18%. The Kids Club counselors are not included in the general tip pool, so that is extra if you feel it is warranted. Nominal tipping for room service is optional but customary.

Tips on excursions (drivers and guides) is customary. Tipping the porters that take your bags at the pier at embarkation is also customary.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it does help. I thought there were 2 seperate mandatory service fees of 10.00 a day pp. I knew one was was tipping but didn't know what other was for. Now I know I didn't know what other one was for because there isn't another one:rolleyes: (not sure what I was thinking)

I have no problem with 12.00 fee. I know they work hard and assume it will go up again by the time I go on this cruise. I just wanted a little more clarification and did get it here. Thanks:)

The service charge just now changed. Hard to say what it will be way off in 2010. The notes in the link below will add some information for you, then ask away.
Thanks for posting link, very helpful.

If you want to see whales, make sure to book a whale watching tour in Juneau. You may see them from the cruise ship -- or you may not. If you're lucky enough to see them, you still won't get nearly the experience that you get from being in a small boat, much closer to the water and the whales. There's nothing like being able to hear the sound of the "blow", and smell the fishy smell associated with it.

I'd do some research over on the Alaska boards to see what you think would be your best option. My preference is for Harv & Marv, who run two small, "six packs" (6 passenger boats) -- but there are plenty of other options available.

Thank you too for this info. I have a lot of time to do check into it all. Are Harv & Marv through NCL?

Archived