Hotels in Houston

Arkylady

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in Houston for a cruise we are doing in Feb. We have stayed in Galveston before but would like to stay in Houston and drive down the day of cruise. We will be coming in from Arkansas on highway 59 and usually go Sam Houston bypass through pasadena. I have looked at some major chains but wasnt sure of the areas. thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in Houston for a cruise we are doing in Feb. We have stayed in Galveston before but would like to stay in Houston and drive down the day of cruise. We will be coming in from Arkansas on highway 59 and usually go Sam Houston bypass through pasadena. I have looked at some major chains but wasnt sure of the areas. thanks.

I live in Houston. If you gave me some idea of where you are thinking about staying I could give you my opinion.

I was looking at some hotels around the Galleria but my husband thought that would be too far to go into Houston. I looked at couple on Comfort Inn site but didnt really get any addresses. I will relook and let you know. Thanks. I did also look on Trip advisor but cant always depend on that.

I have stayed at the Westin Galleria and it's nice. But unless you plan on shopping at the Galleria, I wouldn't drive out of the way to stay there. It felt like the longest part of the drive from Little Rock to the Galleria was the drive across Houston.

There are so many places to stay in Houston it just depends on what you're looking for. On the weekends you can get some great deals at the downtown hotels, i.e. Hyatt in downtown. We've stayed at the Westin Galleria also. Actually there are two hotels at the Galleria. It's really not that far out of the way. It just depends on what you're looking for and what you'd like to see. There is a lot to see and do in Houston.

If you are coming into the Houston area via Hwy 59 and the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltway 8, I think you might be happy in my area. The Clear Lake/Bay Area section of Houston is just south of the interection of the Beltway with I-45 and is only +/-30 mintues from Galveston. You can also drive into downtown Houston in +/-20 minutes.

This is the area surrounding NASA's Johnson Space Center and there are lots of motels (many very recent construction), good restaurants and a very large mall (Baybrook Mall at I-45 & Bay Area Blvd) if shopping is something you enjoy. We are also close to the Kemah Boardwalk and the near-by shops of Kemah which was damaged extensively by Hurricane Ike but has re-opened almost entirely and should be in ever better shape by February.

Almost every chain motel known to man has a facility in this area. Look for addresses in Southeast Houston (Bay Area Blvd., NASA Parkway), Nassau Bay, Webster (Texas Avenue), Seabrook, and League City. There are currently 2-3 motels under construction on Texas Avenue that should be open by the time you need lodging.

Need more info? Let me know.

I was just looking at some of the hotels in the clear lake area. I think I remember a shopping center on the freeway from Houston to Galveston, but couldnt remember. I really doubt that we will be doing any shopping though. We have family in Pasadena that we thought we might like to visit with so was looking for something in close vicinity.

We have another couple with us and will need to check with them. I dont think I want a hotel that opens to outside but can manage for one night. When I decide on one I will see what you think. I also looked at the Marriott site at hotels but didnt really like any location. My husband would probably agree about the drive through Houston. We arent used to lots of freeway driving. (haha) being from AR

Arkylady,

If you are interested in a Marriott property try Residence Inn Houston Clear Lake or TownPlace Suites Houston Clear Lake. They are both in this area and are in convenient and very safe locations.

Clear Lake is very close to Pasadena to the north and coming in on Hwy 59 and Sam Houston Tollway/Beltway 8, you'd come through Pasadena just before you came to its intersection with I-45, the road to Clear Lake and Galveston, with little traffic (typically).

I was just looking at some of the hotels in the clear lake area. I think I remember a shopping center on the freeway from Houston to Galveston, but couldnt remember. I really doubt that we will be doing any shopping though. We have family in Pasadena that we thought we might like to visit with so was looking for something in close vicinity.

We have another couple with us and will need to check with them. I dont think I want a hotel that opens to outside but can manage for one night. When I decide on one I will see what you think. I also looked at the Marriott site at hotels but didnt really like any location. My husband would probably agree about the drive through Houston. We arent used to lots of freeway driving. (haha) being from AR

The Hilton on Clear Lake is on NASA Parkway and is located almost on the city limit boundary lines where Pasadena, Seabrook, and Houston come together. (We used to live on Nasa Parkway just 2 blocks from there and were in the city limits of Pasadena, but our mailing address was Seabrook. :confused: ) The Hilton is easily accessible from I-45 South and from Pasadena.

Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental.

Has anybody stayed at this hotel and, if so, how was it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I attended a conference at that Marriott, but I have never stayed in one of the rooms. The hotel is on the main road to the airport and is a nice hotel. As I recall, there is no shopping or anything except other hotels, gas stations, etc. nearby.

I attended a conference at that Marriott, but I have never stayed in one of the rooms. The hotel is on the main road to the airport and is a nice hotel. As I recall, there is no shopping or anything except other hotels, gas stations, etc. nearby.

I agree. I work in that area and there are not many restaurants or shopping nearby. The Marriott, as well as a few others along the same strip, are nice.

I also agree, south of Houston towards Clear Lake and vicinity(like Webster) is a nice enough area and that would put you a hop, skip and a jump away from Galveston.

Comfort Suites in Webster is in a good area with every type and $$$ of restaurant in close proximity (just don't go by the listing of near-by restaurants if you consult TripAdvisor - don't know who would recommend those places!!). It is fairly new(+/-2 yrs) and convenient to I-45 but not right on the freeway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on the Jan11-18 Conquest sailing and we stayed at the Doubletree suites near the Galleria.

The hotel is very nice, especially for the price. The beds were the best!! Boy is sure was a come down to go on the Conquest (terrible beds!).

If you are interested in shopping before the cruise, this area is great. The galleria is a terrific mall - saks, nieman marcus etc etc. Also, we went to Trulucks for dinner, which is right across the street from the hotel - fantastic!!

I live in Houston. If you gave me some idea of where you are thinking about staying I could give you my opinion.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza on Sam Houston Pkwy. Is this a good neighborhood to walk to one of the restaurants nearby??

Thanks

Joe

Just jumping in here to say if it is the Crowne Plaza/Greenspoint at 425 North Sam Houston, it is not in one of the better parts of Houston. I haven't been in that area for quite awhile and, although I hear it has improved, there are much better areas and it would not be my choice. Perhaps someone else has a more recent "take" on the area.

This was the Sofitel Houston until last year. It originally opened in 1982 or 1983. I have been to this property for a business meeting since it was rebranded as a Crowne Plaza. Very little renovation appears to have taken place since its Sofitel days. The hotels in this part of Houston near IAH are primarily business hotels. The neighborhood is not conducive to any type of walking off the property and is not recommended. There is really nothing within walking distance. I agree with the previous post, this would not be my first (or second) choice property to stay in Houston, especially before or after a cruise, unless you just want a hotel that is close to IAH to catch an early or late flight.

Thanks for the input. We got this on Hotwire.com for $63.00. It was listed as a 3.5* property. I Mapquested the address, and it says that there are 4 restaurants within .1mile. I was just thinking that we could walk. Maybe not :( We are just staying there for the night and taking a car service to Galveston for our Voyager of the Seas sailing. I also got online to check the crime #s for this area. Not as great as Grand Rapids, Mich. but not as bad as other parts of the city.

Thanks Again

Joe

Archived