Kenai Fjord Tour

catlvr14

The big players are:

Kenai Fjords Tours http://www.kenaifjords.com/

Major Marines http://www.majormarine.com/

I'm not sure if there is something smaller that is preferable.

I went with the aptly named Kenai Fjords Tours, but mainly because they fit my schedule much much better. We had a great time and they clearly knew where to take us to get up close to seals, puffins and sea lions and were very good at tracking down orcas and humpbacks. The guide was very knowledeable and open to questions. Plus, I'm a sucker for anyone who gives me warm chocolate chip cookies. Their claim to fame is fox island, which was not on my cruise. Major Marines has the benefit of a park ranger onboard.

Remember to bring those binoculars.

We also went with Kenai Fjord Tours and were very happy. Very clean and comfortable boat, great captain and great viewing opportunities. They were also very efficiently run compared to some of the other tours that we did while in Alaska.

I have gone with both companies, there is also Moriah to consider. All well established giving excellent tours. Toursaver coupon this year is for the superior- excellent Northwestern fjords trip. The bonus being far more travel and the fastest and nicest boat used. My preferred choice now.

This is our first trip to Alaska. We will be staying at the Kenai Princess in August and have already ordered the Toursaver book for 2005. We want to take the Northwestern Fjords trip that is listed in the book. My really stupid question concerns getting to Seward for the tour. Is there transportation to Seward from the Lodge or would we have to rent a car? :confused:

Sue

HOW are you getting to the lodge??? They do have a tour desk but they do not offer the Northwestern fjords tour- only the 6 hour ones- as least they did not in the past- they don't leave early enough for to get there. You are 40 miles from Seward and no car rentals available from the lodge. Rethink your plans- if you want to tour Seward- stay THERE, Kenai Princess is significant for fishing- little else and no place I would be without a car. For clairfication- the toursaver is most useful for independent travelers with the freedom for their own planning. It may be difficult to make the time if on tours or without a car.

Another question for you Budget queen, I do appreciate all your knowledge and help. We are only going on a 7 day southbound cruise and will only have the the 1 3/4 days in anchorage or seward prior to our cruise out of whittier, do you think the tour book will have enough in it to justify buying it for this short a vacation? There are 4 of us and we do intend on booking a floattrip and the white pass RR in Skagway, Island wings out of Ketchinkan to Misty Fjords,Boat ride from Juneau to Glacier Bay or Captain Larrys whalewatching and probably Allen marine out of Sitka, should I buy a book?Thanks again.

Not BQ, but if you book with one of the tours in the book, such as Southeast Aviation for Misty Fjords, you would get your price of the book on one tour. Island Wings does stop on a lake and let you out on island for 1/2 hr while Southeast tends to have you stand on pontoons, as we did with them in Sept. Kenai Fjords is also in book for their Fox Island/6hr tour which leaves at 10 or 10:30 when it runs. Still have the problem leaving from Kenai. 1 1/2 days just doesn't give you much time before.

Thanks JohnQ for the info, so if I order the tour book now, do these companies readily accept these 2 for 1 coupons, do I mention them when I call to book the excursions, and do I still have a month to book these excursions being that I am not traveling till July 20th, 05??

We bought a used book before we left, and used for Misty Fjords, Mt McKinley Summit Flt from Talkeetna. Tried to use for Kenai Fjords tour but we had same problem as we were driving in to Seward from Homer and couldn't get their early enough to use. We took the 6 hr the next morning, since we had to drive back to Anc after the tour. We booked both before we left, had to change both at least twice due to mechanical problems with Summit, and both still honored the coupons even after rescheduling for us.

JohnQ- last year's deals aren't this years with toursaver. :) Southeast Aviation isn't participating and Kenai Fjords tours is only offering the Northeast Fjords trip or short Bay trip. http://www.toursaver.com/alaska-travel-deals.php

Mand- no probably not worth buying the book- it doesn't seem you are considering any of the big coupon deals? With only 1 3/4 days- I would probably skip Seward this time since you are sailing out of Whittier- UNLESS you are going with an Avis one way Whittier rental? There also is no "boat ride Juneau- Glacier Bay" option available with only a one day Juneau port stop. You should be sailing a glacier via your cruiseship?

Yes, I am using avis and returning vehicle to whittier, how early in the morning does one have to be in whittier for the kenai fjords?, if we leave anchorage by 7am ?We will have all that day after driving down cause our ship doesn't leave till the next day.

BQ--

I wasn't implying that the same ones would be good again. I haven't seen the new list. Point was to consider what they want to do versus whatever is available in 05 book and make decision. I was trying to use port tours as an example, since they would be there for tours on each of the stops.

Yes, I am using avis and returning vehicle to whittier, how early in the morning does one have to be in whittier for the kenai fjords?, if we leave anchorage by 7am ?We will have all that day after driving down cause our ship doesn't leave till the next day.

The Kenai Fjords boat tours are out of Seward. IF You want a Kenai fjords boat tour and you plan on leaving Anchorage as mentioned above- you will be limited to only the 6 hour tours leaving around 11:30am and little room for any delays. There is also the option of a 3pm tour, but my opinion only, I prefer earlier tours. So this would be your options.

Archived