EWR to Manhattan cruise pier

joanofarc

Hi,

I have been trying to find out the easiest, cheapest and most direct way to get from EWR to the Manhattan cruise pier. Due to vacation day restrictions, we (2 of us) are planning to land at EWR the day of our cruise and taking some sort of transportation directly to the cruise ship (NCL Jewel, October 30-09).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have not yet booked a flight as I am trying to decide which airport will make the most sense (JFK, LGA or EWR)

I am not familiar with any of these areas. There are some reasonable flights from Toronto to EWR which is why I am looking into this option. Otherwise we will drive to Buffalo and fly to JFK or LGA and take one of flat fare cabs I have read about.

Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

Newark or LaGuardia make the most sense. I see that there are 2 United flights from Toronto. I would take the earliest flight to Newark just to be safe.

Check out Supershuttle - http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_ewr.htm

I think they will drop you at the pier, but perhaps someone could confirm that. Don't worry about the traffic. If you get yourself to the NY area by noon, you will make your 4 pm sailing.

The cheapest way to get from EWR to the cruise ship terminals is by taking the train to Penn Station, then a cab or bus to the westside.

The easiest way, not the cheapest, would be to get a cab, car service or shuttle van.

Here is the link from the airport website that will give you some ideas and contact info for ground transportation: http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html

Hope this helps.

I would opt for the cheapest flight that gets you to any of the NYC airports as early in the morning as possible. After that I would take a cab or limo service as I would not want to be fiddling around with taking public transportation on the day that your ships departs.

If Supershuttle will take you to the cruise dock for $19/pp, then it is competitive with the train/cab option and is a lot less hassle with the luggage. A cab will be a lot more expensive and may not save you any time at all.

Thank you for all the suggestions and helpful information. I have been looking at all the options but I guess I can't really figure out our plan of attack until we actually have the flight booked.

I have a starting point now and don't feel quite as confused:eek::eek:

Thanks again,

Cheapest. From EWR board the northbound 62 bus destined for Pennsylvania Station, Newark. You'll need $1.35 exact fare. Once at the station transfer to the PATH train. You'll need $1.75. Change trains at Journal Square and alight at the last stop, 33rd Street. From there it is about 30 minutes to walk up to the cruise ship terminal. Total cost: $3.10.

www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf

www.pathrail.com

Easiest and most convenient. Assuming you don't want the smartass answer (i.e., take a taxi the whole way): From EWR board the Coach USA bus destined for Manhattan. You'll need $15 o/w or $25 r/t. Alight at the first stop, Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there it is about 20 minutes to walk up to the cruise ship terminal. Total cost: $15.00.

www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/94/nlaeschedule.pdf

Archived