Screwed over by Alamo Car Rental-Hilo

Splinter

Have used Alamo in the past without problems (although not in Hilo). Reserved 2 months ago on-line, called the day before we left on the cruise direct to the Hilo office to confirm with reassurance that we were reserved. Arrived Hilo 5 days later (11/10/04) to find that Alamo had no available cars in spite of our "confirmed" reservation. Many people on the Island Princess left high and dry at the dock, and of course Hertz, Budget, etc. all had sold out their cars too.

Ruined our plans for the day, and only recompense offered was a "discount" coupon to be mailed to my home (not available for use on the rest of our Hawaii trip)...like I would ever actually USE them again!!!!! The manager was unavailalble...ironically was in Kona at a marketing training meeting. Staff were totally non-helpful and downright rude on the phone. I have not finished dealing with their corporate headquarters....but am warning others to not depend upon them for your Hawaii trip.

Same thing happened to us with Alamo in Kona a few years ago, best part they wouldn't take us back to the pier (no van drivers available) and refused to pay for a cab for us to get back. That was 9 years ago and I have never used Alamo since then.

We have an Alamo car reserved in Hilo for Christmas day. Jeez - I really hope that we don't have any troubles.

Thanks for the heas up!

Taters

We do too Annie, all our cars are reserved throught Alamo. Now I'm nervous!!!

Maybe Marty can come through with some Hertz cars.

Minette

Similar situation happened to us last year while in Maui. There was no convertible cars available to us. They offered us an upgrade to any car in their yard (luxury or SUV) for the same rate instead. Since we were doing the road to Hana on that day, we opted for an SUV and got a Buick, Rendez-Vous. We were very disapointed...Hoping that this time around we won't have any problems. In Oahu (Honolulu) we even have two reservations, one with Thrifty and another one with Alamo. Apparently Thrifty have a shuttle from the Pier. You have nothing to loose to reserve two companies, there is no credit card required to make a reservation.

Happy sailing!

Reminds me of the Sienfield episode where he was trying to get his car and was questioning if they understood what a reservation was. Too bad you had problems.

I agree with others, make a backup reservation with another company, but when you did get your car, cancel the other reservation so someone else can get the car.

Archived