I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

I was thinking the same but, than I found out about 50% of people don't dump.

I have surgery in less than a week. WOO HOO!

Dumping isn't a real bad thing and a great learning tool/motivation. I've watched my wife go through it. I've experienced a similar thing with the band.

Sorry to be dumping so many messages people, I just discovered the thread.

I had RNY on 9/8. I looked at banding but had seen that many people ended up with an RNY anyway and I couldn't stand the idea of having a port under my skin.

That certainly is a consideration, It took getting used to. I am concerned how it will look on the cruise. I'm down 45 pounds now and I think experienced people would know by sight, but most wouldn't. We will see when I hope to lose 10 more by the cruise. My sister and husband are going with us, and they don't know about the surgery, so time will tell. My surgery scars are healed, and only the port one is still visible, but owning 3 cats, I could claim it was a cat scratch ;) - I have a condition where I scar differently than other people, I think is called Keyloid? (SP) so it probably is less noticable than on others.

I am lucky (or am I?), I don't dump. I have been able to completed get off my diabetes meds (4 glucophage, 1 actos, 1 januvia a day) and high blood pressure (1 accupril) and high cholesterol (1 crestor) ----- 8 pills. But as someone said, I still take a boatload of pills ---- 3 calcium spaced during day, 1 multi-vit, 1-B12 sublingual, 1 pro-biotic, 1 biotin, 1 devrom. I have to monitor what I eat to make sure I get sufficient protein every day -- 65-75 grams.

I am lucky just to be able to take my OTC multivitamin. My blood pressure medicine is now cut in half and will probably be stopped in March. The only thing that will be left if my seizure medicine, which is why I chose the lapband, this surgery usually doesn't change how your body absorbs oral medicine.

I've lost 58 pounds in 5.5 months. I was considered a lightweight with a BMI of 39 and about 85 pounds to lose.

We have that in common, I was a BMI of 36, now just days away from a BMI of 30 (No longer obese) I was small compared to lots of other patients, but I had severe high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea, both of which are almost gone. Well worth it.

RNY is just a tool. You have to change the way you eat for a lifetime. I wasn't able to do that long-term without this tool. And the yo-yo, was killing me. So I took this step and I feel great.

Same for me.

Just curious. For those who have had WLS a while ago, what type of blood work do you need to have done regularly in order to make sure you are getting/absorbing protein and vitamins etc properly? I would think this might be a problem but not sure...

Good Luck to all of you who have decided to go this route! :p

Don't mean to soung ignorant, but what is dumping ? My DW and I have decided it is time for some drastic measures to be able to live longer for our children. We have tried WW, diet clinics, "diet shots", Jenny and nothing seems to help us. We are now trying to decide which is the best method for us. We have heard the sleeve is the way to go now. Any input would be helpful. Our next cruise is 6 months away.

Thanks

Dumping is something that happens after gastric bypass if you consume too many carbs, they convert to sugar quickly, you get the rush, then the body can't finish processing them fast enough so you get the crash referred to as dumping, that's in laymans terms, I believe there are other causes of dumping, but having just had my gastric bypass surgery less than 2 weeks ago I can't elaborate any more at this time. My drs say it is considered a side-effect that they consider to be good cause once you experience it you won't try eating that food again.

As for 6 months out, it took about 10.5 months from my making the decision to have GB to my actual surgery and it will be probably 4-6 months before I'm ready to cruise, I have one booked for Aug 13th that should be okay.

I have no knowledge about the sleeve, only the pouch and the lapband, I got the pouch.

I had the lap band done in January 2005. I had two fills within six monthes of having the band put in, and haven't touched it since. I have lost over 70 lbs, I used to be a regular poster on my weight loss board, but since it's been a long time and I've had the weight off for 4 years, I've almost forgotten about my band- I've moved on to enjoy other things, and look forward to my vacations each year now!

I had the lap band done in January 2005. I had two fills within six monthes of having the band put in, and haven't touched it since. I have lost over 70 lbs, I used to be a regular poster on my weight loss board, but since it's been a long time and I've had the weight off for 4 years, I've almost forgotten about my band- I've moved on to enjoy other things, and look forward to my vacations each year now!

Good to hear, my first fill was Friday and 40 days to my next cruise.

Oh, there is a regular debate on which is better, first sitting or second for dining. I definitely think 2nd seating is better for people who have had weight loss surgery. They don't hurry you out the door. I definitely eat slower now.

Finally finished my labs today!! Now I wait to meet the surgeon. It definately is a long process just to get to the surgery.

I think for me it was 4 months. Some insurance companies require more than others.

I went to my PCP in January, the bariatric surgeon in February and had the surgery on Sept 8, 2008---- so about a nine month process. My first cruise was Dec 6 ---- 3 months post surgery and was absolutely fine. I now have 3 more cruises booked --- April, September, and next January.

With RNY, you need to have your bloodwork done frequently. Every 3 months for the first year, then once a year after that. Tests include all levels of vits & minerals, ferin (sp) to check for iron, B12, and other tests that can tell if your body is stealing calcium from itself. As you can tell, that's the layman's version.

I had the RNY Jan 2006 and to date I have lost 274lbs. I was 469lbs at my heaviest and no amount of weight watchers/jenny craig or such was going to help me.

I went to Mexico to have it done and no one should ever fear going to Mexico for any procedure. Proper research will show you that they have top notch facilities with excellent doctors that care about their patients. The cost is about half what they charge in the US. I could have waited to get the surgery FREE in Canada, but the wait was 2 years + and I just wasn't willing to wait.

For the first time I am actually enjoying food, whereas before surgery I was just shovelling it in to feel full. I watch what I eat for sure, and make sure I eat protein first before anything else. I don't drink with meals and wait at least an hour after eating before drinking anything.

I get my bloodwork done every 3 months even now as I have anemia and have to keep track of my iron as I don't store iron( this was diagnosed before surgery not a result of surgery).

I have been on 2 cruises since surgery and my only problem has been throwing up food that is too dry and/or eating too fast or not chewing enough.

Dumping isn't a real bad thing and a great learning tool/motivation. I've watched my wife go through it. I've experienced a similar thing with the band.

Sorry to be dumping so many messages people, I just discovered the thread.

I didn't not want the dumping. I wanted the dumping to help me control my self. So if I didn't get it I would have been upset.

Finally finished my labs today!! Now I wait to meet the surgeon. It definately is a long process just to get to the surgery.

It is strange how different it is for different sergeons/centers. I had meet with the surgeon and had approval before having labs.

We have heard the sleeve is the way to go now. Any input would be helpful. Our next cruise is 6 months away.

Thanks

This is what I would have got if my insurance paid for it. My center only did RNY and banding. I chose the banding as it is less invasive. I also didn't want to deal with the life time of testing for deficiencies and taking all the necessary vitamins. Also the recovery time is better after banding. The draw back is the weight loss is slower.

So far the closest I've come to dumping was after eating at a chinese buffet. I was really careful to only pick chicken, crab legs, brocoli and I scraped the filling out of cream cheese wontons and eggroll but after eating there I felt kind of woozy and got all hot and cold sweats and clammy. Felt nauseus too but didn't vomit. I'm thinking there was probably sugar in some of the sauces I picked the meat out of. Either way, I kind of lost my taste for chinese foods at least for now.

I did not realize how long the process would actually take to get the surgery done. I thought 6 months was plenty of time.(I guess I won't be wearing my bikini after all on the cruise!) My DW and I meet with our doctor in two weeks to get this started. Still have'nt decided which way we are going to go, but that is what the doctor will help us with. I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread, it really has been helpful to us.

I did not realize how long the process would actually take to get the surgery done. I thought 6 months was plenty of time.(I guess I won't be wearing my bikini after all on the cruise!) My DW and I meet with our doctor in two weeks to get this started. Still have'nt decided which way we are going to go, but that is what the doctor will help us with. I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread, it really has been helpful to us.

I started the program in August and had Surgery in Dec. Now in Mar I'm down 50lb, hoping for another 5 by cruise time.

Hello All

I also will be having weight loss surgery. I have been deciding on this for a few years now and the last two years I have gone back and fourth deciding between the lapband or RNY. It's really a tough decision as both have pro's and con's. For some it's an easy decision, but not for me. During the one or two years I have been going to several support group meetings (once a month, every month) and they have help me alot. However during this time I have watched two people whom I personally know who had the lapband and gain there weight back within a year or less! They were also in the same program as I'm in...That definitley had an impact on my decision.

I know that it's not typical for everyone and some people use the "tool" to the greatest extent in which it should be used.

Which brings me to the conclusion that before anyone decides to have the surgery...do your research. Do not rush into it thinking it's a quick fix as many people have mentioned. I myself am still trying to get mentally prepared for this drastic surgery that I know will change my life forever... hopefully for the better!

I hope to be 10 pounds below the obese mark (30 BMI) before our upcoming cruise. I will be on the last days, hopefully forever, of my blood pressure medicine on this cruise. Also I no longer have sleep apnea, so for the first time, the CPAP machine will not be coming along. On that note, the Passengers with Special needs group of Royal Caribbean are great to work with, they had a bottle of distilled water for my machine on every cruise. I know they had this information in my file. I emailed them and told them it was no longer needed. I got a very nice letter back.

Billoh, Congrats on your accomplishment! It must be a great feeling to be hitting the 30 BMI mark...

I have a question for you, after your surgery did you have problems using your cpap machine? I haven't been able to use mine, I think the setting may be too high for me now. I can fall asleep with it when it starts at a 4, but within 30 minutes it ramps up to an 11 and wakes me up and I need to pull it off. Just curious if this is something you experienced. I'm going to discuss it with my PCP in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Janet

Billoh, Congrats on your accomplishment! It must be a great feeling to be hitting the 30 BMI mark...

I have a question for you, after your surgery did you have problems using your cpap machine? I haven't been able to use mine, I think the setting may be too high for me now. I can fall asleep with it when it starts at a 4, but within 30 minutes it ramps up to an 11 and wakes me up and I need to pull it off. Just curious if this is something you experienced. I'm going to discuss it with my PCP in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Janet

To be honest, I quit using it after surgery, I had months of falling asleep only to be woken up after 60-90 minutes. I lost 10 pounds before surgery and 20 more pretty quickly. At that point, I wife told me I was no longer snoring and breathing much better.

I hope to be 10 pounds below the obese mark (30 BMI) before our upcoming cruise. I will be on the last days, hopefully forever, of my blood pressure medicine on this cruise. Also I no longer have sleep apnea, so for the first time, the CPAP machine will not be coming along. On that note, the Passengers with Special needs group of Royal Caribbean are great to work with, they had a bottle of distilled water for my machine on every cruise. I know they had this information in my file. I emailed them and told them it was no longer needed. I got a very nice letter back.

That's a wonderful accomplishment! Good for you!! :)

Archived