overwhelmed with packing

lmran

I am cruising in a few weeks and have no idea how to organize our packing. There are 4 of us in our family, DH, myself and our two kids ages 2 and 4. I just feel like there is so much.....how will we ever get it all to fit in 2 or 3 suitcases???? How does everyone else do it?

Are you restricted to 2 or 3 suitcases for a reason? I think on our last trip (4 of us, 10 day cruise) we took at least four suitcases, plus a backpack each, a stroller, and a duffle bag full of bottled water (and souveniers on the way home).

I am cruising in a few weeks and have no idea how to organize our packing. There are 4 of us in our family, DH, myself and our two kids ages 2 and 4. I just feel like there is so much.....how will we ever get it all to fit in 2 or 3 suitcases???? How does everyone else do it?

We've always managed one suit case/kid, but when they were smaller like yours we managed one for the kids and one each for the two parents.

I think it comes down to being minimalistic. Even now we sometimes find we dont' use much of what we packed

I think you can minimize packing by realizing no one really pays attention to what you have on. I wore a pair of shorts 3 days in a row, even though I packed tons. They felt comfy. I just changed shirts. If worse comes to worse, there is a laundry room.

I sat in some kind of black grease on the pool deck so I continued to wear the same shorts there rather than get grease on another pair.

Next time I will pack lighter. I always pack too much. I think if each kid carries a back pack, that would work out well. You can roll lots of stuff in there.

Are you restricted to 2 or 3 suitcases for a reason? I think on our last trip (4 of us, 10 day cruise) we took at least four suitcases, plus a backpack each, a stroller, and a duffle bag full of bottled water (and souveniers on the way home).

After our cruise we are renting a car for four days and going to vero beach. We have a midsize car so I really have to minimize the # of suitcases. We were planning on one full size, one garmet, and one smaller one. We will have in addition to that 2 carseats, and 2 strollers. I tried to change our car type, but the prices have increased too much and Im not willing to pay what they are asking. Thanks for the help.

With little ones, it's hard to cut back on packing extra outfits since you just never know what spills and upsets they may have.

Does your ship have a self serve laundry? I know some people don't want to do laundry on vacation but it does help and even just one or two loads is not that much time.

I always wear shorts, capris, and slacks more than once and wear a different top.

Being a mother of 2 small kids (having cruised 3 times with them), I have 2 tips:

1) layout everything you think you'll need and then toss 1/2 of it. You really won't need as much as you think (except maybe a few extra outfits for the kids).

2) email me for some GREAT packing tips

Me, DH, DD (now 5), DS (now 10) were able to cruise all three times in 3 suitcases. Toss the garment bag. Take advantage of the first day specials on pressing. DH and I shared one suitcase and I had 1 suitcase for each child. And, of course, I did laundry half-way through. This next June we're driving to NYC. It's only the 4 of us and I'm NOT doing laundry this time!!! We're taking 4 suitcases: one for each of us. Thank goodness no laundry this time.

I sent you an email and would appreciate any tips you may have. I had been wondering about having our formal wear pressed on the ship so its good to know they offer a special for it. I think we will do what you said and toss the garment bag and take 2 larger suitcases and one small one. Thanks again.

Take Downy Wrinkle Release if your worried at all about wrinkles. (Actually I also found out on this site that you can mix a cup or 2 of warm water with a couple tablespoons of liquid fabric softener for an equivilent product). "Tide sticks" work great for touching up small stains.

Some people say rolling clothing saves space. For longer clothing (pants, skirts, dresses, etc.) lay them on the bottom of the suitcase with excess hanging over ends. Pack other items on top. When complete, fold excess over the top. Worked for me, hardly any wrinkles at all.

No one really cares how many times you wear something. Bring things that you can mix and match and you won't need as many full outfits. Especially for the kids. Plus, at sea days will probably be spent in swimsuits and cover-ups.

Also remember to downsize any shampoo, hair items, etc. to the smallest size you can get by with to save space. Or take 2 travel size if you need more and when one is empty, you can just throw it away.

We always try to pack in two suitcases plus carry ons. Not because we have to, but because trying to manage two small kids in the airport stressful enough, let alone not having enough adult hands to maneuver suitcases from one place to another. Here's what we do:

Minimize the adult clothing: kids spill, adults generally don't. So we don't pack 7 daytime and 7 evening outfits each. It's more like three pairs of shorts, four/five shirts and then mix and match for dinner. We only bring one formal outfit and either wear it twice or hit the buffet on the second formal night. Don't bring too many shoes - they are bulky and heavy. Wear bulky clothing (including running shoes if you want to bring them on the trip) on the plane. Think about what you plan to do in port. Will you be going to the beach once or twice? The kids can wear the same dress or short/T over their swimsuit on all beach days. Same if they are going to be at the pool all day. Don't get too fancy for dinner for the kids. A girl can wear a cotton dress all day and at dinner, too. That kind of thing.

Also, we used to bring toys from home - no more. Just a few things for the plane and that's it. We borrow bedtime stories form the ship library and leave our books at home.

Don't forget to leave room in your luggage for souveniers! Have fun!

Being a mother of 2 small kids (having cruised 3 times with them), I have 2 tips:

1) layout everything you think you'll need and then toss 1/2 of it. You really won't need as much as you think (except maybe a few extra outfits for the kids).

2) email me for some GREAT packing tips

Me, DH, DD (now 5), DS (now 10) were able to cruise all three times in 3 suitcases. Toss the garment bag. Take advantage of the first day specials on pressing. DH and I shared one suitcase and I had 1 suitcase for each child. And, of course, I did laundry half-way through. This next June we're driving to NYC. It's only the 4 of us and I'm NOT doing laundry this time!!! We're taking 4 suitcases: one for each of us. Thank goodness no laundry this time.

Thanks for the info!!

Archived